How can you make the tire stick out!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2001, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How can you make the tire stick out!!!!

Is there someting like a spacer that you can put behind the wheel and tire to make it stick out a little bit, like beyond the fender.?

Old 06-14-2001, 09:54 PM
Yes, a few companies make spacers. They come in different widths and bolt patterns. I recommend against them though, for the simple fact that they place more stress on your suspension components. If you do decide to go with them, get a good set. Performance Wheel & Tire makes about the toughest set I've seen. Check out the April 99 issue of Four Wheeler magazine if you can get a hold of it. They did a write up on wheel spacers. Good Luck.

Old 06-15-2001, 08:15 AM
Cool

The best way to get your tires to stick out is to go to 10 inch wide rims. I have them on the rear of my truck and the extra two inches of width over stock goes to the outside and puts the tire at the outer edge of the wheel well.

------------------
"The Beast" 98 White 4.6 Triton STX (It's not an STX anymore) Flareside,Class III hitch.
Appearance Mods: Blue Cobra Stripes, Euro Lid by Astro, Bed Rug, Fiero Wing, Air Dam,Ground Force 2-4 Drop,Custom MB Phantom Wheels,clear corner lenses,monster battery terminals, Custom Ford Racing, Leather Seats.

Stereo Mods: MTX Dual Sub Box with 2 10 inch Polks, 4 Polk Speakers, MTX 102 Amp with a Pioneer FH-P4400 CD, Cassette Head Unit

Performance Mods: 96 Crown Victoria Electric Fan Mod, Custom Programmed Super Chip,BBK 75mm TB, Pro M 80mm MAF,Custom Welded Powder Coated Intake Tube,Pillar Pod w/ boost and trans temp,Jacobs DIS Ignition,Art Carr 2400 Stall Performance Transmission,4:10 gears with Auburn Pro Limited Slip,TA Performance Rear End Girdle, Cal Trac Traction Bars, Jet coated JBA stainless headers, custom Y pipe after the Cats, Magna Flow Muffler with Stainless Duals and of course fully Blown by Magnacharger!
Best 1/4 so far 15.117 @ 89.05
Best 60' 2.137
http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4293450711

[This message has been edited by Flats Man (edited 06-15-2001).]

Old 06-16-2001, 01:02 PM
Well you could always put about 400lbs. of pressure in all of your tires! that should swell them up pretty good who knows you might even get a couple more inches of ground clerance!
j/k
JJ

you could go witha wider wheel or with the spacers!

------------------
97 4x4 Off Road Package 4.6l, Flareside S/C Dark Toreador Red
www.f150world.com/southernthunder

Old 06-16-2001, 03:34 PM
Well you can make the tire stick out by two methods.

The first is a wheel spacer which has already been mentioned by Cage. They are a fairly inexpensive way to push the rims and tires out from the wheel well.

The second (and the one I would recommend) is new rims and tires. The amount the rims and tires stick out from the wheel well is all in the back spacing of the rims. I have 17x9.5" rims and beacuse of the 5.5" back spacing they dont stick out. The less back spacing you have the more the rims and tires will stick out, like a 4.5" back spacing would stick out where my 5.5" does not.

------------------
99 F-150 4.2L
True duals W/Magnaflows
Jacobs Ignition
K&N filtercharger
Custom programed chip
throttle body spacer
ported&polished throttle body
ported mass air flow sensor
Black Magic electric fan
Belltech rear sway bar
belltech 3/4 drop
Centerline Scorpion 17x9.5
Nitto 275/50/17 extreme 450

Home page
f150freak@angelfire.com

Old 06-23-2001, 01:47 AM
Thumbs up

It's the offset of the wheel. Most OEM wheels have a positive offset. Once you get to a 0 offset and start moving to negative, they're sticking out. Here's a pic of a GC I used to have with AR-136 wheels. They have a -18mm offset I believe it was.

Some call a negitive offset, "reverse offset". Go back a few years and it was "deep dish".

On that jeep, because of the offset, I pust the largest tire I could on it, and it was a 235-75 and I had to snip a corner inside the wheel well so it didn't rub, although loccked one direction in reverse it would still rub slightly. Offset is great but makes a big difference and you can easily go too far.

------------------
2000 EDDIE BAUER EXPEDITION 4x2
-->Follow Me...<--

[This message has been edited by FamilyRide (edited 06-23-2001).]

Old 07-02-2001, 02:14 PM
hey have read on here severeal times not to use spacers because our trucks are hub-centric . . .

***JasoN***

Old 07-13-2001, 10:49 PM
You'd better plan on either getting some fender flares or spending a lot of extra time washing the sides of your truck. Any little puddle will throw a mess all over your sides. Besides, with fender flares, your truck will look tougher. Without them, your tires sticking out will look like you're imitating those little rice burners the kids are driving (you know the ones - spend $800 on a cheap little import and then $3500 on wheels and tires)

Old 07-14-2001, 03:22 AM
Well, I would also advise against the spacers. It will probably make your tires rub, and also they aren't very safe. But if you really want that look, and you don't have a lot of money to spend on it, you should do that. If you have a lot to spend, go with new wheels and tires.

Old 07-16-2001, 10:21 PM
I too would stay away from spacers if at all possible, Most wheel companies offer a backspacing measurement on most rims they produce, this could vary by 1" to 4 5/8". hope this helps

Old 07-19-2001, 05:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A good way to screw up your suspension

Anybody who has done alignment work will tell you this is the quickest way to tear up your suspension.
Wheels are designed so that the center of the weight is between the inner and outer wheel bearings, it you make them "stick out" the outer whell bearings are doing 150% of the work and the inner bearings are doing negative 50% of the work
How many wheels stick out cars have you seen where the rear axle looks bent ??

Quick Reply: How can you make the tire stick out!!!!