Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep. You win. First place.

Moderator removed image.

That is enough. No more.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Going back to your original post, thanks for the tip. I know there's a lot of inexperienced people out there, and if your tip helps one out, then you've done well. Most of us grew up learning this stuff through tech manuals (in paper form), trial and error, and sometimes epic fails. And when it's all done, the biggest lesson is that some people are mechanically-inclined, and some people have brains that are wired for other talents. What I really enjoy about forums is the occasional "mine is bigger than yours" arguments. They can be entertaining sometimes, and you can always tell when the high road was taken. Happy Memorial day, and thanks for your service.

Old 05-26-2014, 11:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EsJayEs
Going back to your original post, thanks for the tip. I know there's a lot of inexperienced people out there, and if your tip helps one out, then you've done well. Most of us grew up learning this stuff through tech manuals (in paper form), trial and error, and sometimes epic fails. And when it's all done, the biggest lesson is that some people are mechanically-inclined, and some people have brains that are wired for other talents. What I really enjoy about forums is the occasional "mine is bigger than yours" arguments. They can be entertaining sometimes, and you can always tell when the high road was taken. Happy Memorial day, and thanks for your service.
Well I think you summed it up pretty good, I try to teach based on experience and not from a book as most people are visual learners and I think my tips that get thrown in there can really help out allot, you should read some of my comments on my videos. Yes these technical arguments are entertaining I actually smile every time I read the responses I don't know why some people have a bug up their butts in the end I am just trying to help out with factual information based off many years of experience doing this as a profession is all.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:01 PM
Good info and thanks.

Originally Posted by makuloco2000
Well I think you summed it up pretty good, I try to teach based on experience and not from a book as most people are visual learners and I think my tips that get thrown in there can really help out allot, you should read some of my comments on my videos. Yes these technical arguments are entertaining I actually smile every time I read the responses I don't know why some people have a bug up their butts in the end I am just trying to help out with factual information based off many years of experience doing this as a profession is all.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:19 PM
wow... this got off topic fast.

Back to the original topic...
It looks to me like those "garfield ears" are there to provide support for the caliper pistons. I haven't changed my pads on the new truck yet, but I'm guessing those line up exactly with the pistons.

This might be an easy way to remember it... the 2 circular bumps go over the circular pistons!

(PS - I have heard the term Lot Rot before. And I have replaced brake pads due to age... why bother to wait till they are totally gone? Or after a couple years I will change them to get a lower dust option. Change them early to protect the rotors - pads are cheap so its an easy maintenance to do if you DIY)

Old 05-28-2014, 12:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mkosu04
(PS - I have heard the term Lot Rot before. And I have replaced brake pads due to age... why bother to wait till they are totally gone? Or after a couple years I will change them to get a lower dust option. Change them early to protect the rotors - pads are cheap so its an easy maintenance to do if you DIY)
I agree, on my 07 the front pads went and took out the rotors with 25K on it. If i would have caught it early, I could have saved the 250 bucks for 2 new front rotors.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:51 PM
thanks makuloco for taking the time

Old 06-10-2014, 04:28 PM
I have an 05 and I don't know if you didn't do it just for the video so it was easy to assemble but aren't there two springs you put into the pads before putting the caliper on? Or did that change with the 09+ models? Thanks

Old 06-10-2014, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by greentitan05
I have an 05 and I don't know if you didn't do it just for the video so it was easy to assemble but aren't there two springs you put into the pads before putting the caliper on? Or did that change with the 09+ models? Thanks
Nope no more spreader springs, they are nice and easy now.

Old 06-11-2014, 08:27 AM
O well looks like I need to get with the times then, those are my second biggest pain with doing my brakes. The biggest is putting the tires back on. I don't know why but getting the tire back on the lugnuts is the hardest part of the job for me haha

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Install Mistakes Chewing Up Wheel...Tip