New Warning To All Ford Ecoboost Owners!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 03:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Warning To All Ford Ecoboost Owners!

In this video I go over some new information coming down the pipe from Ford.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Great info, I'll keep it in mind if my wifes escape starts to have problems. She has the 2.0 EB engine in it.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Brian! The internet can be full of junk, I appreciate people like yourself taking time to create a video like this. Whether it applies to everyone's certain issues, it gives another suggestion of how to solve an issue.

Keep it up!

Old 05-20-2014, 08:38 PM
Great, another problem. I had 2 6.0 diesels and they were a PITA, now I have the EC and it seems as it will be a PITA also. Could they make a vehicle that will last without us being their BETA testers? However, I have had catch cans on mine for 13,000 miles and it does run very well and I get decent mileage. I do have to empty the cans (more so the passenger side than the other and I do get a fair amount of oil out of it and my tailpipe is clean.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Found this on the other website.. Thought it was pretty cool.. Apparently BMW does this on the D/I Engines. Surely ford will find a way to be able to offer a service to clean them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONp6gQXpyKU#t=154

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682116

http://www.hpashop.com/Walnut-Shell-...e-Cleaning.htm

Old 05-21-2014, 12:41 AM
I was prepared for him to tell us about the impending collapse of the US dollar or that the Mayans were off by two years and this Christmas will be the last one.

Instead, he hits the exact nerve I was twitching about the black soot in the exhaust tip. Carbon buildup is 100% evil on valves. Will be interesting to see what happens.

I was screwed over by Ford on warranty issues on a Ranger 16 years ago and swore I would never buy another Ford product. None of my buddies could believe I left Brand X, especially since my last Brand X was flawless for 16 years and 200K miles. The engine and everything else will go at least 400K miles - with the exception being one clutch in another 50K

Old 05-21-2014, 01:15 AM
Sorry to hear of this on the EB engines. I was hoping Ford knew some way around it.

This and exactly this problem is why I went to the trouble to order my truck. (Everything they had on the lot was an EB)

I came from that German car world mentioned above, as well as in the video. BMW and Audi both on the forefront of DI motors, have severe problems across the board on their DI motors that continue to this day... They just added a service interval. Just a bandaid on the problem. IMO.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OP: it might be worth your time to check the HPFP. In the VW/Audi world cold start misfires normally point to one going out. They also use Bosch sourced DI components so I would suspect many of the trouble shooting techniques would also apply.

As for cleaning the intake values, I would rotate the engine by hand so that the valve is completely closed before cleaning it. Then scrub the valve area and clean up the solvent and carbon chunks before moving the on to the next set of valves. I believe the damage done to the turbo was due to the chunks of hard carbon hitting the turbine blades and chipping/bending them.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:25 PM
I'm just going to keep piling on miles and not worry about it unless I have the issue. 55k and climbing. Several coworkers over 100k, still running strong...

Old 05-21-2014, 05:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ajsturtz
I'm just going to keep piling on miles and not worry about it unless I have the issue. 55k and climbing. Several coworkers over 100k, still running strong...
Same here!

Old 05-22-2014, 12:47 AM

I am not say this is a common problem and all the ecobooost engine will soon have problems with age but we will see. I am putting the injectors in it Saturday and after that it is head time not fooling around.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ajsturtz
X2
The "Hero" engine had 162K (simulated) miles and didn't have the issue when they tore it down for inspection.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
Great, another problem. I had 2 6.0 diesels and they were a PITA, now I have the EC and it seems as it will be a PITA also. Could they make a vehicle that will last without us being their BETA testers? However, I have had catch cans on mine for 13,000 miles and it does run very well and I get decent mileage. I do have to empty the cans (more so the passenger side than the other and I do get a fair amount of oil out of it and my tailpipe is clean.
What exactly are "catch cans"? Im sure it has something to do with the turbos? Also, i just posted over on the V6 forum requesting some debate on this engine. I wonder if we should worry or not. I do wonder how they test an engine like this so hard and for so many miles whether simulate or not and come about having issues like this when production hits. I dont know. I love my truck and dont want to sell it or trade it but i also dont want to worry about what might happen in the future. I bought this truck for longevity and hope it lasts a long time without having to dump $6 grand in repairs down the road.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let’s clear things up a little bit. The carbon deposits on the back side of intake valves are not exclusive to EB engines. All engines will collect some type of deposit in this area, it’s the nature of the beast. So, what is this stuff and where does it come from?

It is mostly oil, unburned hydrocarbons and exhaust gases that have slipped past the piston rings and into the crankcase. It comes from the PCV system on engine. If you’re old enough to remember cars that had little to no emissions systems you will remember seeing a breather on the top of the valve cover that let the pressure and vapors escape from the crankcase and into the atmosphere. You should also remember there was always an oily mess around this area. This oily mess is what is causing the deposits on the intake valves. The emissions regs stopped the venting of this junk to the atmosphere because it is pretty nasty stuff and generally bad for the environment. As a solution for this the PCV system was developed. The idea was to take this waste and put it back into the engine to be burned again. Then it would pass through the proper emissions controls and be treated. If you remember the cars from the early 1970s there was a pipe from the valve cover to the air cleaner that replaced the breather of before. That pipe was used to transport the waste back through the carburetor and into the combustion chamber. This system has been continuously refined but is still in concept the same, burn the waste material. This worked well for the most part, sure the inside of the intake manifold could become an oily mess on port fuel injected cars because the only thing in the intake was air and the waste products. However, this didn’t cause too much of an issue except occasionally plugging up small ports or gumming up the idle air control valves etc. This could easily be rectified by an induction system cleaning.

Now, enter Direct Injection into the picture. DI is a much better way to put fuel into the cylinder. It shoots it straight into the combustion chamber via a high pressure injector. This creates a much smaller size droplet that burns better and because it is shot into the already compressed cylinder it cools the air allowing for higher compression ratios without detonation or pre-ignition. A port injection system shoots the fuel into the intake runner. It works but isn’t as efficient as DI. However, this is where the carbon on the valves come from. Remember that mix of oil and junk that is in the intake manifold? Well it’s still in the incoming air charge and being burned. When it hits the intake valve some of it sticks there and deposits begin to form. The port injection system has fuel which is a solvent in the air charge by this point so the fuel washes the deposits off. The DI system doesn’t have the fuel in the charge so nothing is there to wash this junk off. That is how the deposits are formed. It is a problem that has been present in all emissions controlled engines but until DI was masked enough that it wasn’t an issue.

So that brings us to what to do about it. All manufactures have been working to come up with ways to remove the oily waste from the intake charge so that it doesn’t collect on the valves. The newer designs are much better than the first generation but not perfect yet. Ford uses a heated baffle in the valve cover to try to collect the oil and return it back to the crankcase as well as other methods in the head design to keep the valves clean. The new VW/Audi engines have a secondary set of port injectors in addition to the DI injectors that are used to help clean the valves. The catch cans are added in line in the PCV hoses to try and collect the oil as it passes through the PCV system.

I have been keeping an eye on my truck to see how well the Ford design is working. So far it seems to be for the most part. The PCV hoses have little to no oily accumulations in them and the inside of the intake manifold is still very clean. When I changed the spark plugs I did not see any accumulations on the tops of the pistons. I have been debating picking up a cheap borescope to run through the intake to get a better look. Of course like all things different driving styles will do different things to an engine. I have a ~30 mile each way drive to work. This allows the engine to get fully up to operating temps and burn off all the water that can collect inside the crankcase that doesn’t happen on shorter drives. I’m not in a panic about this as it doesn’t seem to be an issue on my truck and as more DI cars hit the streets a resolution will be developed.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:27 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
LR 5.0 4v has injector misfires on start ups as well.

Quick Reply: New Warning To All Ford Ecoboost Owners!