Spark Plug Blowout in 5.4 Triton Engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by syncmaster
I think it's just to early to get failures from 2001 & 2002 .
I believe that there is an account of a 2002 Lightning that has had this trouble.

Old 12-19-2002, 07:46 PM
Hey guys,
I found something interesting on:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/dcforum/DCForumID43/333.html

Someone has a picture of 2 spark plugs, 1 is the old one with 6 threads , the other is a 2002+ spec with lots of thread.

Could it be that ford is quietly fixing the problem to save money ?
And their going to let the poor slobs that bought 98,99,00 & 01 foot the bill for their mistake ?

check it out , I think some interesting info will come out of the link above.

Last edited by syncmaster; 12-19-2002 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Thank you for the information. Interesting.

That spec is evidently not just for 2002+ F-150s!! My truck was built in early July, 2000...and still has the factory original motorcraft plugs. I pulled several a short while ago to see which kind I had....and my plug threads go all the way to the top identical to the plug pictured on the right in that photo - lots of threads!!

I can easily see where the plug on the left of the photo (reply in #19 of http://www.ford-trucks.com/dcforum/DCForumID43/333.html ) would be a serious problem.

So..it looks like late 2000+ have the 'newer' plugs? Anyone else check theirs out yet?? I'm wondering if the real problem is the number of threads on the head itself..not the plug.

Last edited by Dustoff; 12-19-2002 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:47 PM
Thats really good news, but did you look into the spark plug hole of the cylinder head to see if you have thread all the way to the spark plug bevel seat? The extra thread doesen't do any good if their is no thread in the cylinder head. Let me know if you can check on that.

Thanks for your reply

Last edited by syncmaster; 12-19-2002 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:19 PM
I hope this end soon

I hope the plug issue ends before I blow mine!

Old 12-19-2002, 09:56 PM
Hi all,

You guys have asked FAQs where answers can be found in the main thread, "Blown Plugs, Damaged Cylinder Heads".

It's not just recent trucks: plenty of 98's and n 97's, but cannot remember if it effects 96's. When was the Triton engine released?

This problem has to do with the number of threads on the aluminum cylinder head, not the steel plug. It's like trying to insert a screw into a stripped hole: the screw ain't gonna stay, regardless how tight or loose you torque it.

Thanks for the link, Syncmaster: I didn't spend any time at that site (and didn't post a link to the stuff here), but it seems they're aware of the problem.... Dunno' if any of them have done the NHTSA thing.

When mine blew, not only was it LOUD, but my truck seemingly lost about 20% power, and ran really rough, and threatened to stall at idle RPM. I don't know about you, but when a vehicle starts acting like that, the last thing I'd be tempted to do is continue driving. I pulled over as quickly as possible and shut it down until a mechanic gave the OK.

Yes, you can disconnect the ignition cables, etc, and continue driving, but that probably increases the chance of doing damage or scoring the cylinders or cylinder wall if any debris or metal shavings get sucked in during the engine stroke cycle.

Yes, Brother Dave, you hit the nail on the head. Personally, I like to be made aware of any possible problems than be broad-sided by it when it's too late.

And for the record: I don't want to argue stastistics; I do so, only when forced into it.

FWIW, here's some interesting reading on the importance of keeping moisture and debris out of the spark plug boots (which that earlier thread mentioned). I've got a feeling this may have something to do with the blown plug problem, as does Syncmaster's post.....

http://www.shotimes.com/SHO3motorcplugs.html

Chris

Last edited by feefer; 12-19-2002 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:40 AM
Exclamation pete rallis

I work for a large fleet maintenace company. We have about 120,00 vehicles on lease and about 1/2 are Fords. I also crew on a nitro fuel altered car. Here is what blows plugs out of heads-
DETONATION. You can't always hear a motor detonating. Ford's combustion chamber design on the modular engines are condusive to carboning, and that creates detonation. The spark plug is acting like a relief valve. It is the weakest link in the combustion chamber. So it is Fords problem. I am a die hard Ford fanatic( I own 1963 427 r code Galaxie, 3 1965 2+2 Ford Mustangs), but Ford still screws up ocassionally.

Old 12-28-2002, 10:49 AM
Pete - But then from what it sounds like, you are saying that every Ford modular engine is going to have this problem?

Old 12-29-2002, 01:40 AM
Just got mine back today from having the same thing happen ! I was doing about 30mph in a snow storm,gave it a bit of gas and it sounded like the world was ending! turned out to be the 2nd plug on the right side . Basically the head had to be replaced . The Dealer picked up the tab even though I've got around 45k on the truck . Also had the leaking oil around the head problem . Same side . I thought the plug spitting might have had something to do with that,but obviously not !
Either way the dealer has taken care of me everytime . So monday I pick up my f250 psd and put the 150 to pasture . I guess it's like this.. I can buy a truck darn near anywhere, but find a good dealer and service department can be more of a challenge . All the best, John

Old 12-31-2002, 02:03 PM
Hi guys,

I was surfing the net looking for info on any changes that ford has made to correct the 6 thread spark plug problem. The only thing I could find is info on a newly designed head for the 5.4 in 2004. This new design would have a new DEEP REACH plug.

Here is a excerpt:

New technology

An innovative spark plug allowed Ford to boost Triton's power without making the engine larger. The plug's 10-millimeter diameter is smaller than a regular spark plug. And the electrode extends about 2 inches past the threaded area. That allows bigger engine valves, which in turn increases power.

Other technological features include:

Variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust valves.

An induction system with electrically controlled butterfly valves at the ends of the intake runners. The valves speed the flow of air and

fuel into the engine, causing a tumble effect that improves combustion and boosts torque at low engine speeds.

Unique deep-reach spark plugs with special tips that do not intrude into the combustion chamber.

A more rigid cast-iron block. Additional ribs make the engine block more rigid, reducing vibration. The powertrain's aluminum heads, composite oil pan and magnesium valve covers also reduce weight and muffle noise.

You can read the whole thing here:

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=41514

I guess the suckers that bought the triton engine from 98 - 2003 will just have to live with fords screw up.

Have a happy new year and keep your plugs tight !

Old 01-06-2003, 04:15 PM
Just to add a bit of fuel to the fire.

As the owner of an auto repair and towing business, and as a person who has built, and been around racing of all kinds, I feel that I do have something valid to add to this arguement.

First, plugs blowing out of aluminum heads is nothing new. As long as there have been aluminum heads, there has been the possibility of this happening. Basically, with an aluminum head, the chances of human error causing this problem is much higher. Aluminum is not forgiveable. Overtighten, and you stress the threads, which, with miles and vibration, will cause them to fail over time. Undertighten and the wobbling plug will destroy the threads (the plug is stronger than the threads). Crossthreading is very easy to do, as the threads are basically soft.

What does this mean to us 5.4 owners?? Basically this. Learn how to change your plugs. Do not be in a hurry to change them. Do not use tools that put the plugs at odd angles. Do not change them when the engine is hot (due to the expansion and contraction properties of aluminum). Tighten them to snug. You do not have to torque them down to ridiculous torque. Follow the manufacturers recommendations on torque for the plugs...... using the correct torque wrench. Always try to start them by hand (you have better feel), or if using an extension/plug socket, make sure it it at the correct angle when starting the plug. Plus, go easy at first...... till you know for sure that the plug is in correctly.

I feel that using proper plug changing proceedures would solve 90% of the instances of blown plugs. The other 10% are out of our hands because they were installed at the factory (by a human being no doubt........ the probable cause of factory caused failure), or by a technician (whose sole purpose is to get your vehicle done quickly so he can go on to the next one. Also, see the human comment above) at a shop (Ford or otherwise).

When you have an extremely high number of anything out there (as in the millions), the chances of having a repeated failure are very high. If the percentage of these failures is very low, the manufacturer is not going to go out of their way to proactively (before it happens) fix it. If people here think they will, they are fooling themselves.

As for using this forum as a statistical base...... it can be used in the very broadest sense only. For those who claim that there is alot of people out there who never come to this site and post their problems with blown plugs....... this is true. However, it has been my experience, from spending time on most enthusiast sites, that a higher majority of people will complain about a problem on these boards than what the actual occurance is in the general populace. Thus, you often have a skewed sense of how widespread a problem is......... and not in the underestimating of it. This causes people with no problems to question the reliability of their vehicle, when there is no need.

Of course, I am sure I will have some in here who will tell me I am full of it. While I sometimes am....... this is not one of those instances.

Let the debate rage on.

Old 01-07-2003, 09:09 AM
01ArrestMeRed

What you said makes sense to me. I think your right. I do want to change my plugs to the new style. I think I have the old style since my engine was made 01/24/02/ My truck was made 07/05/02, but they replaced the engine at 500 miles due to leaking rear main.

One question is Ford says not to use anti-seize on the threads. That makes me nervous. Does anti-seize affect the torque reading? If I use anti-seize and blow a plug then service will see the anti-seize and say it was my fault and not cover it under waranty.

Thanks for the posting.

Pete

Old 01-08-2003, 07:31 AM
I do want to change my plugs to the new style. I think I have the old style since my engine was made 01/24/02/ My truck was made 07/05/02, but they replaced the engine at 500 miles due to leaking rear main.

Changing to the new plug (2002+ spec) won't do you any good if your cylinder head spark plug hole only has 6 threads in it.

Don't let '01ArrestMeRed confuse the issue. If you own a 1997-2002 ford triton engine , you have a poorly designed cylinder head with only 6 threads holding the spark plug in. From all the posts on this thread and others it is very clear that the plugs a coming loose due to engine vibration. If you don't hear the ticking sound or exaust leak the loose spark plug will destroy the 6 threads and the plug will blow.
I don't like the blaming of the factory workers and mechanics. Since when is installing spark plugs a rocket sicence project ?
I read a post on another thread from a ford mechanic and he said "we know about this problem, and are very careful when changing the plugs, But it's still a problem ".

My plug worked loose 1.5 years and 32,000 miles after the dealer installed the plugs. How can I blame the dealer mechanic for that ?

Don't mess with your plugs, and before they are due to be changed "sell it"

Last edited by syncmaster; 01-08-2003 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:20 AM
syncmaster

What you say about the heads is probably true. I don't know where I read the posting, maybe here, and it is NOT A FIX, but the posting indicated the plug design may reduce the chance of gases passes the threads by eliminating the channel above the threads and lower turbulance. Otherwiswe, why would they at least create and use this plug. The engines with this plug seem to be better, we will see. I've blown plugs in performance aluminum heads before with twice the threads of the mod engine. Again, I know the heads need more contact area, but in the mean time...

Old 01-08-2003, 11:22 AM
peterbilt ,
I have never flown a plane so I don't know any thing about
"lower turbulance" . I am trying to find out why there is a new 2002+ spark plug spec. I called a ford service manager and he indicated that the new heads being installed on motors with blown out plugs are better , but he couldn't say if there are extra threads in the newer head. He directed me to a ford customer service 800 number, they were totally useless. I am going to see a ford parts guy, and I am going to find out if there is a different part number for the cylinder head of a 2003 5.4L engine. I think ford people are being very secretive about any changes because if they did change the spark plug threads it would be a implied admission that the old design was wrong.
I will post here if I find out something. I am looking into this because I need to buy a new van and I would rather buy a ford since thats all I've ever bought for the last 20 years, But I will not buy one unless it has been redesigned and I see it with my own eyes .
I'll tell you what... if I find out that ford installed this new plug in hoping that lower turbulance will help keep the plug from coming loose, I will definately buy a chevy !!!

Last edited by syncmaster; 01-08-2003 at 11:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Blowout in 5.4 Triton Engine