Airbag Code Flashing "32", Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbag Code Flashing "32", Need Help

I could really use some assistance from anyone who has experienced this problem. Two days ago while driving the airbag light started flashing a 32 code. Today while driving to work the check engine light also came on. Has anyone had this problem?
If so what does the 32 code mean and how can I fix it? I'd really like to know if this is something I can fix myself before I have to take the truck to a Ford Dealership.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!
94F150Lightning

Old 10-08-2002, 11:33 AM
I have a '94 also. Don't know what a 32 code is but my airbag light flashes also and the horn doesn't work. Apparently they are part of the same circuit in the steering wheel and a mech told me that the likely culprit is something they call a clockspring. Replacing this will likely solve the problem but its not something you can do yourself.

Old 10-08-2002, 12:44 PM
Try posting somewhere other than the engine section, you might get more information.

Old 10-08-2002, 05:06 PM
code 32 is for the clockspring gone bad. Your airbag light will flash the code, your horn will not work and also your cruise will not work. The part to fix it is not that high, I think on my 97 it cost me $70 or less. If you take your time and know a little about mechanics you can do it yourself. You have to disable your aibag first and then remove your steering wheel. The clockspring is right under the wheel. It has a wiring harness that unclips. I think it took me and my buddy about an hour taking our time to do the swap. We were very careful to totally disarm the airbag .

Old 10-10-2002, 07:34 AM
Airbag Code Flashing "32" Got the answer

Thanks to Jason W., I found the answer. Thought others that may be having the same problem would like to read...

TECH: How to replace clock spring
I just replaced my clock spring last week and wanted to share what I learned.

1: Make sure your wheels are pointing straight ahead
2: Disconnect battery
3: Remove the four screws that hold on air bag from the backside of the steering wheel
4: Disconnect and remove the airbag
5: Disconnect the connections going to the horn and cruise control buttons
6: Remove the bolt that holds on the steering wheel and use a puller to get it off
7: Unscrew the tilt lever from the column
8: Remove the three screws that hold on the steering column cover and remove the lower portion
9: Remove the ignition switch by inserting your key and turning it to the on position and inserting the end of a paper clip in the access hole in the bottom of the switch housing to depress the pin that holds the switch in
10: Remove the top half off the steering column cover
11: Remove the lower dash panel that is directly below the steering column by removing the two screws on the lower side and gently pulling toward the drivers seat to release the pins that just snap in on the top side of the panel
12: Remove the clock spring assembly from the column and disconnect all connections
13: Put in new clock spring and reconnect then put everything back in reverse order

This whole job only took about an hour and is very simple. DO NOT BE AFRAID OF IT.
94 white Lightning #2256, 14.65 @ 92

Quick Reply: Airbag Code Flashing "32", Need Help