5.4L Clatters Since Filter Change - Why?
My 2000 F-150 5.4l auto has 24,000 miles on it. I've changed the oil and filter every 3,000 miles using Pennzoil 5w-30 and a Motorcraft FL-820s filter. The last three mornings, since changing the oil and filter, when it starts up it clatters for 3 or 4 seconds, then quiets down. Seems like I've read a post here that some filters don't have a check valve and that causes this problem by letting the oil all run down to the pan (is that what happens?). The FL-820s (s = silicone check valve) has one.
Could this be a bad filter? Can I change filters without losing a lot of oil and making a big mess? This is a 4x4 and the filter always drains a little down on to the front diff. anyway, and IT'S a mess... I don't need a bigger mess.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Fishin' the Gulf of Mexico Beaches!
* 2000 F-150SC Lariat 4x4 Flairside, 5.4L/auto, Rear Slider
* Black/gold, custom bed trim, tint, VentShades
* K&N, cat-back duals, Class III Tow, Logo Hitch
* IttyBitty 1.02" "Super Cool" (HA!) Radiator (for NOW)
* Westin step bars, factory splash guards, custom pop-up bed deck
* Magellan GPS, CD Changer, Keyless Entry touchpad
* 1 Year/24,000 Mile Average - 13.7MPG, Best 16.3MPG, Worst 11.4MPG (normal bed deck and equipment load: 400 lb.)
* RainX FastWax weekly, max. days dirty: 3
* Problems after 1 year: ZERO