Changing Fuel Filter on 1997 F150

Old 06-07-2001, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Changing Fuel Filter on 1997 F150

I bought a fuel filter today.....released the clips on the filter, but could not pull the lines off the filter. Is there some special trick to doing this or what? Any suggestions from someone who has done this before.

------------------
1997 F150 5.4L Supercab 4x4 "Off Road Package" Tow Package 46000 Miles
All stock except for an Alpine Stereo/CD Player, Soft Cover, Bed Liner, and a Custom Painted Bug Deflector.

Old 06-07-2001, 08:17 PM
There is a tool you have to buy to release the filter.
It inserts into each end and then you pull the lines off. Your parts store should be able to help you.

Old 06-10-2001, 03:24 AM
You might have did this, but I did not see it mentioned. Did you release the fuel pressure first. I think you can do it by tripping the safty cut-off behind the passenger kick panal or you can take a fuel pressure tester and bleed it off at the valve under the hood. Then you will need the fitting tool to release the clips.

------------------
97 Ford F150 XLT 4x4 4.6L auto, Std cab/Long bed, 3.55LS rear axle, PW,PL, and PM, captian chairs w/arm rests
Sylvania Cool Blue Bulbs, Ford logo hitch and license plate, tinted windows, blackouts front and rear(w/ford logos on front blackouts),ventvisors all around, painted logos on door sills and under hood, 55w backup lights, K&N Filter, custom 4x4 emblems, cup holder/LED mod, 99 F150 Triton V8 emblems, and much more to come

Old 06-10-2001, 10:26 AM
I didnt bleed off the pressure that way, but I did do it by opening the gas cap. I was told that this could be done. Should I do it your way?

------------------
1997 F150 5.4L Supercab 4x4 "Off Road Package" Tow Package 46000 Miles
All stock except for an Alpine Stereo/CD Player, Soft Cover, Bed Liner, and a Custom Painted Bug Deflector.

Old 06-11-2001, 12:30 AM
Probably, I do not think just opening the gas cap will cover it. The easiet way to do it is to buy a fuel pressure guage that has a bleed off valve, the next way is to use the saftey (inertia switch). Here's how I did it according to the Haynes manual. Locate the inertia switch behind the kick panal, unplug the connector, start the motor and let it run until it stops (just a few seconds), change your filter, plug the connector back up and you should be ready to go. If the inertia switch has popped just push the reset on the top.
By the way, I like your truck, never seen one that color before.

Old 06-11-2001, 12:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just used a small screw driver and a rag to cover up the fitting under the hood and pushed the needle valve in till all the presure was off. Thenused the release tool and pulled the lines off.

Old 06-11-2001, 07:24 AM
I just changed mine two weeks ago. Do release the pressure on the fuel system for sure. I pulled the electrical wires off of the inertia switch. It's located behind the passenger side kick panel.

Then as they said above, get the little tool to release the lines. I bought mine at Pep Boys Auto parts for $7. Worked great.

Do expect some spillage though from what is in the filter. Have a small bucket and some rags handy.

The Haynes manual was a big help to me as it always is. I don't consider myself mechanically talented but I'm getting better between this board and the Haynes manual

------------------

2000 2WD SuperCab XLT
  • Styleside
  • Torrador Red
  • V-6, 5 Speed Manual
  • 255/70R16 Tires
  • Rhinoliner
  • Soft Tonneau cover
  • Lund bug shield
  • Window guards
  • Premium sound system
  • Front and rear mudflaps
  • Average MPG: 18

hunt4fun@mailbreak.com

Old 02-01-2011, 10:44 AM
i have been trying to take the front fuel line off my fuel filter for over an hour. the back one came off with ease with the disconect tool the front one is being a pain. any tricks?

Old 02-01-2011, 11:57 AM
i let it sit over night. in the morning the pressure is gone. i have never had more than a shot glass full of gas drizzle out. if you use the tool and it is still on there spray the hell out of it with PB Blaster.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:51 PM
The fuel filter on my Mustang was the same way.
Its kind rusted on the connector that won't release.
may take a helper and a big pair of pliers to get it apart.
I was not sucessful using the PB blaster

Old 02-01-2011, 03:31 PM
You just have to wait a bit for the pressure to subside. My first fuel filter change I didn't think about it and midway thru changing it out it decided to depressurize on me...literally haha

Old 02-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Press like hell with the removal tool, spin it around a bit and try to work it into the clip. Make sure its fully engaged all the way around. The little spring retainer in the clip can hang up sometimes and not let the tool press all the way in. Make sure your using the right size. If I remember right, they are 2 different sizes per side of the filter. If you bought a universal tool, they suck. These work great for me and were only a few bucks ...Name:  SDC12165.jpg
Views: 1708
Size:  72.2 KB

Old 02-01-2011, 10:12 PM
^^^ What he said. Press like hell with the removal tool and tug/twist on the fuel line both at the same time and it will eventually come off....I just used the "X" type tool for mine...Dont know if its a universal one or not but its the size of the line and works...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing Fuel Filter on 1997 F150