Question for those with FQR's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2002, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for those with FQR's?

Apologies for the lenght of post

I have a 99' with a 5.4 that has piston slap and head gasket leak. I took the truck to my dealer when it was 18 mos. old and had 12000 miles and they told me they would replace the engine with an FQR. I told them I felt that was unacceptable for a $30,000 truck with that many miles and that I would have to think about what I wanted to do. I also asked them if my extended warranty that I had would cover this if I decided later on to let them put an engine in and the service manager assured me that it would. Well, as you might have guessed, when I went in a couple of days ago (two months after factory warranty expired, truck now has 22000 miles) they have changed their story. Now they want me to pay $500 dollars to get a FQR installed and the extended warr. rep. basically told me that they will not cover piston slap or oil leak problems due to warped heads. So my question for you guys is, do you think I should let them put in the FQR. I know from this site that there are a lot of questions about whether an FQR is any better than a slapper/leaker, and that there are likely to be other problems associated with them installing it. Also, other than the embarrassment of starting the truck when it is cold and the smell of oil burning off of the manifold, the truck runs strong, doesn't smoke at start up, gets good mileage (17 mpg on last tank), and has otherwise been trouble free. However, I do expect the oil leak to continue to get worse, and I find it hard to believe that as bad as the truck knocks when it is cold that it will not cause problems when the truck starts to get some serious miles on it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-15-2002, 08:05 PM
get it replaced

the piston slap is not harmful to the motor, however the oil leak is,,, at the very least get the head gasket done...

you don't want to know what happens when the head gasket blows bad and coolant begins to mix with engine oil...

i would get the new motor... and write a strongly worded letter to ford and the better business bureau...

for what we pay for these trucks, they should be damn near perfect for 100,000 miles...

Old 08-16-2002, 04:49 AM
Talking

I went through the same thing about 2 years ago I decided to keep my old engine.
Heard to many horror stories about Ford rebuilt engines.
Now at 92000 miles it still runs great the oil leak never really got any worse.
Engine still slaps when its cold ... Would I buy another Ford Humm ....
I still think I made the right decision keeping my original engine.
Just my two cents ..

Old 08-16-2002, 11:54 AM
Cool

My truck would blow out a nice, big cloud of smoke upon startup every morning and after sitting for about an hour. I took it in to the dealer, they tracked oil consumption over a two week period and finally installed an FQR motor. That was 25,000 miles ago and I've had no furhter problems and my motors strong, no oil burning, and no oil leaks.

Quick Reply: Question for those with FQR's?