Switched to 180 degree Lightning thermostat...any possible porblems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2001, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Switched to 180 degree Lightning thermostat...any possible porblems?

I just installed a cooler thermostat. I paid $7.85 for a lightning 180 degrees thermostat and so far no problems. My temp needle just barely touching the top of the thermometer icon. Any possible problem with this? especially with my Superchip since the engine might run rich most of the time?

------------------
2000 EXPEDITION 4.6 3.31 Rear, Poweraid Spacer, UltraFlow muffler, 6.8 inch TV with tuner/VCP, Full alarm and Auto-Start.

New Addition:

2001 F150 SUPERCAB 5.4L 3.55 LS, Airaid FIPK, Full alarm and auto-start, 50 series 3 chamber 3inch in/out Deltaflow Flowmaster
Swept Side style, Beltech 2 inch rear shackles, SUPERCHIP, billet grille, Lariat wheels and tires (275/60/17), Billet antenna by TRENDZ, Daytime running lights(if I can get it to work), Lightning 180 degree thermostat, White face gauge insert with EL lighting, Custom stereo system currently in the works.

COMING SOON:
pulleys, remove cats, 2 inch drop all around.

Old 05-20-2001, 01:21 AM
Poor fuel economy. Just watch the milage. when I did it with a 4L motor that was chipped, I lost like 5mpg.

Old 05-20-2001, 01:46 AM
From what I have been told it will do more damage to your engine than good. On an older engine I would highley recommend a colder thermostat(in fact I would say to not even use one), but these newer OBDII systems are designed to run with a 195 degree thermostat. Going to a cooler thermostat takes the engine out of its normal operating temperatrues.

Old 05-20-2001, 10:41 AM
I've had a Jet 180 degree thermostat in my NASCAR F150 for over a yr and have had no problems at all. In my 95 Vette, my 91 300ZT and my 91 MR2T I also had cooler thermostats and never experience a problem. Hypertech recommends a 180 or 160 degree thermostat with their products. Heat robs an engine of power and life. I agree that you can run a new model engine to cool and have problems with the computer but 180 degrees shouldn't do it.

------------------
98 NASCAR Special Edition
1OF600 w/ Auto & Tonnaue
K&N FIPK
Hypertech Power Prog.
JET 180 degree thermostat
Hellwig SportTech swaybar
Gibson SuperTruck CatBack
Pilot SS Resonated Tips
Shelf-It overhead storage
Hella FF300 Fog Lights in grill.

Old 05-20-2001, 04:51 PM
Hi

Good posts. Years ago, when smog tests & emissions became law, auto makers started running high temp (opening) themostats.

I think it may still be relevant along with all the other smog upgrades over time. They all work together to control emissions.

So point being, will vehicle pass smog test running lower temp. thermo? Seems to me emissions will change with lower temp. thermo. Is it worth making the change? I dont know?

However the way it was, & the way it is now, any thoughts on this?

BTW: Newbie, might wanna talk to Mike T. if your running superchip & making new mods.

Have a good one. OT

Old 05-22-2001, 03:28 AM
Cause problems? Probably not. Benefit? Might help cure minor detonation in some cases. Mileage will probably drop.

Heat is horsepower. The race crew runs even hotter temps. In controlled cooling situations (such as NASCAR) they run on the edge of boiling over.

Unless you have a cooling problem, I'd stick to the stock temp range. Even with towing and hauling situations, underdrive pulleys, and lots of heat, my '95 stays in the normal range.

As far as the chip companies suggesting lower temp stats.....my 2 cents....
Running richer can help show bigger #s on the dyno, and the cooler stat would also allow for more aggressive timing without detonation, thus increasing the "fudge" factor available in tuning the chip.

Old 05-22-2001, 06:37 AM
Question

so let's take a vote. I'll monitor this post till Friday. Please...keep the 180 or loose it? Your vote matters. Thanks in advance.

------------------
2000 EXPEDITION 4.6 3.31 Rear, Poweraid Spacer, UltraFlow muffler, 6.8 inch TV with tuner/VCP, Full alarm and Auto-Start.

New Addition:

2001 F150 SUPERCAB 5.4L 3.55 LS, Airaid FIPK, Full alarm and auto-start, 50 series 3 chamber 3inch in/out Deltaflow Flowmaster
Swept Side style, Beltech 2 inch rear shackles, SUPERCHIP, billet grille, Lariat wheels and tires (275/60/17), Billet antenna by TRENDZ, Daytime running lights(if I can get it to work), Lightning 180 degree thermostat, White face gauge insert with EL lighting, Custom stereo system currently in the works.

COMING SOON:

Old 05-22-2001, 05:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
HI!... LOSE THE 180 thermastat!

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK" E-MAIL :nnewman@sympatico.ca
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP "FLIP-CHIP", BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, PERMA-COOL external tranny filter, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor, custom ported TB intake elbow, relocated ATS, FORD RACING 24LB injectors, RUSSELL stainless steel braided tranny lines with fittings.

FUTURE MODS : BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 80MM PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC TRACTION BARS, EXTRUDE HONED INTAKE MANIFOLD, SHM CUSTOM FUEL RAILS, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 DROP, EXPEDITION CENTER CONSOLE, HARLEY DAVISON F-150 LOWER FRONT VALANCE (painted oxford white) and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER.

ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 340H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.52E.T * MPH - 93.73 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 16.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon JAZ fuel cell,etc

Old 05-23-2001, 07:18 AM
evo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

With the Kenne Bell blower they require that you run a 180* thermostat. Like Signmaster said it's because of a possible detonation problem. They also require that you run a colder plug. If I wasn't running the above mods I'd stay with the stock.

Old 05-25-2001, 03:04 AM
Good point Evo. Blower motors are not only more prone to detonation, but can generate more heat, faster. This is also true with stronger (high HP builds)naturally aspirated engines.

Old 05-25-2001, 07:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 180 stat is just fine. If you were running a 160 there may be some wear issues.

It is likely that the engine will run at around 190 degrees on warmer days with the 180 stat. On cooler days just over 185 is what you will see.

Keep in mind that cylinder wear increases greatly below 160 degrees F. This is a factor of the oil,s temp and the properties of cast iron cylinders. The specific rate of cylinder wear increases slightly as the temperature drops below 220, and 160 is the magic number below which the wear rate increases rapidly. For instance a cylinder run at 150 will last 1/2 as long as one run at 170.

Keep in mind that cylinder temps are always above the water temp (while running).

Chris

------------------
98 SC 4.6L stepside, Gibson headers, Gibson single exhaust, superchip, Intake mods, Piaa's, high end audio stuff.

Old 05-25-2001, 10:53 AM
The long term effects of the 180 will be increased carbon buildup in the combustion chamber. It doesn't get hot enough in there to keep the carbon buildup down. You can actually expect to see a short term benefit of more power possible as your computer tries to compensate, but long term will be even more detonation etc. as the carbon builds up. I'd stay with stock unless your having heat or detonation problems. If so, your better off correcting the problem than masking the symptom.

------------------
- 2001 F150 Harley Davidson Special
- 1993 Mazda Miata, wifes car
- 1994 Harley Davidson Heritage
- 1976 Honda CB750K, Original
- 1965 Honda 305 Dream, Original
- 1971 Triumph Trophy 650, Original
- 1971 Norton Commando
- 1970 Honda Trail 90, Original
- Yamaha 500 Short Tracker, racing #69
- 1984 Yamaha Virago 1000, wifes bike
- 1981 Honda Passport 70, wifes bike

Old 05-25-2001, 09:53 PM
thanks for the great response. Let me be more specific as to what variables my truck has to deal with. I live in Arizona where right now until about August, it will be above 100s for high and even over 110 degrees sometimes. I know my truck does not get any hotter when it was cold here (70 degrees). When it was cold, the truck ran great. When summer kicked in, I the power is substantially decreased. So I figured it is because the engine is getting too warm air. I installed the 180 thermostat to help cool things down and it worked. My power is back as if it is not 110 degrees. I used to get 238 miles to a tank, but now, I am currently getting 155 miles and the needle just hit the halfway mark. If this continues, I will get about 300 miles to a tank, a 25% increase in mileage. Now, is it really gonna hurt my engine in let's say 6 or 7 years from now if I kep the 180? If it will, I will put the original thermostat back in. Please, your opinion counts. Thanks to everyone who posted and will post.

------------------

New Addition:

COMING SOON:

Old 05-26-2001, 09:07 AM
evo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Newby46, I lived in Phoenix in 97'98'(Cave Creek Rd). I was going to MMI for Harley Davidson. At the time I was driving a 97 F-150 F/S W/5.4L. I had no problems with my truck running hotter. Don't they put an additive in the pump gas at certain times of the year to cut down on polution? (MBTE or something like that?)I did notice a drop in performance when they put that stuff in the gas. I'll tell you what I went through one set of tires while I was down there.(CRAPPY FIRESTONES, SPLITING BETWEEN TREAD)

Old 05-27-2001, 02:09 PM
Wink

Ok, you guys have got me wondering. I just finished changing mine back to the 195 degree original thermostat. I'm going to run it for a few weeks to give the computer time to catch up, then check my mpg and see if there is a difference. Also I want to see if there is a seat of the pants difference in power. Time will tell or it won't

Quick Reply: Switched to 180 degree Lightning thermostat...any possible porblems?