long tube headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2001, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question long tube headers

has anyone found long tube headers for a 4.6l . all i can find is shorties and i want my cats gone.

Old 05-20-2001, 06:08 PM
I went to most if not all the sites of companies that make headers. I even called some and haven't found anybody that makes them. Personally I don't think anybody makes long tube headers for the new F-150s. I looked through the wheel well and under the truck and I don't think there would be room for long tube headers anyways.

------------------
1997 XLT Teal 4.6L Flareside 4x4 ORP. Automatic, Reg. cab, 3.55LS, tinted windows, bug deflector, Dual exhaust, K&N Generation 2 air filter, BullDog keyless entry/remote start, Modern 16" wheels, bedliner, Covercraft tonneau cover, White faced gauges, electronic shift on the fly, Clarion ADX5655z Double Din Cassette & CD, 4 Pioneer TS-A6865 speakers and superchip.

Future mods: Supercharger, headers, NOS, tranny upgrade(heavy duty gears, clutch packs, etc.), performance torque converter, composite driveshaft, bore cylinders 30 over, new pistons, crank, and rods, get performance heads or port the ones I have, 01 tail lights, 01 mirrors, 01 3rd brake light, gauges for the a-pillar, new L if they still make them and I like the way it looks, and a Z06 Vette or BMW Z3.

Click here to see more pictures

Old 05-20-2001, 06:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... Even if you found a set of long tube headers for our trucks, they would be useless anyway. Long tube headers are primaraly designed for HIGH RPM engines. Since our 4.6 and 5.4's are done making power before 5000RPM there would be NO gain by going with long tube headers. If you want to gain a bit more H.P when choosing shorty headers, go with a set that has equal length like the BASSINI's. As for getting rid of your CATS, WHY? The new CATS today are not like the older ones. It has been proven that the 4 CATS on our F-150's only rob us of about 5-7H.P. It's not worth removing them. Plus your ENGINE LIGHT will come on and may cause possible problems with the way your engine runs. Then you have to worry about passing emissions testing. Hope this clears things up for you.

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK" E-MAIL :nnewman@sympatico.ca
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP "FLIP-CHIP", BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, PERMA-COOL external tranny filter, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor, custom ported TB intake elbow, relocated ATS, FORD RACING 24LB injectors, RUSSELL stainless steel braided tranny lines with fittings.

FUTURE MODS : BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 80MM PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC TRACTION BARS, EXTRUDE HONED INTAKE MANIFOLD, SHM CUSTOM FUEL RAILS, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 DROP, EXPEDITION CENTER CONSOLE, HARLEY DAVISON F-150 LOWER FRONT VALANCE (painted oxford white) and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER.

ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 340H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.52E.T * MPH - 93.73 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 16.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon JAZ fuel cell,etc

Old 05-21-2001, 10:25 AM
First if you want some good headers for a 97 go to www.steeda.com under catalogs and they have good stainless for 4.6 for like $300

Now to the previous

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Neal:
HI!... Even if you found a set of long tube headers for our trucks, they would be useless anyway.
??????
Long tube headers are primaraly designed for HIGH RPM engines. Since our 4.6 and 5.4's are done making power before 5000RPM there would be NO gain by going with long tube headers.
Mustangs have the 4.6's and they gain around 25hp with them
If you want to gain a bit more H.P when choosing shorty headers, go with a set that has equal length like the BASSINI's. like the bassani but not them, you pay double the price just for the name, try www.macprod.com.
As for getting rid of your CATS, WHY? The new CATS today are not like the older ones. It has been proven that the 4 CATS on our F-150's only rob us of about 5-7H.P. It's not worth removing them.
maybe on the 6 but on a 4.6 or 5.4 that restriction over no cats is probably 15HP or more, this includes the edition of long tube headers. But I personally would just get hi-flo cats.
Plus your ENGINE LIGHT will come on and may cause possible problems with the way your engine runs.
You can buy mil eliminators or even make them, that will keep this from happening.
Then you have to worry about passing emissions testing. Hope this clears things up for you.

</font>
Sorry for the hack job just wanted to give opinions from both sides.

[This message has been edited by JUPITER (edited 05-21-2001).]

Old 05-21-2001, 01:17 PM
Cool

HI!... JUPITER : I would love to see a STOCK 4.6 MUSTANG (4.6 2-valve) gain 25H.P bu installing a set of LONG TUBE headers. It's not going to happen! Through my personal experience and some of my freinds that have MUSTANGS, you are lucky to gain about 15H.P on a stock 4.6 MUSTANG. I have seen this on several dyno runs. Don't beleive everything you read in the MUSTANG magazines. Plus the cam profile of the engine has a HUGE affect on the way a header will work. The TRITON 4.6 and 5.4's use a cam profile that gives maximum torque around 2300RPM and 3000RPM. They are also done with their peak H.P by about 4800RPM. The MUSTANG 4.6 is cammed totally different because of being a sports car. Their maximum torque is way over 4000RPM and peak H.P is closer to 5200RPM. As for the cats I have seen several dyno sheets for F-150's that have removed the CATS and none of them had gained anything more than 7H.P at the flywheel. And yes I know about the mil eliminators, but most people do not want to go through the trouble of sending their chips back to have a custom program done or fab them up them selves, so I did'nt mention it. By the way I have a set of hand built custom equal length, stepped primary, indiviual primary tubed long tube headers on my 875H.P PRO STREET RANGER and I barely got 25H.P by installing them.

------------------
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP "FLIP-CHIP", BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, PERMA-COOL external tranny filter, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor, custom ported TB intake elbow, relocated ATS, FORD RACING 24LB injectors, RUSSELL stainless steel braided tranny lines with fittings.

FUTURE MODS : BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 80MM PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC TRACTION BARS, EXTRUDE HONED INTAKE MANIFOLD, SHM CUSTOM FUEL RAILS, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 DROP, EXPEDITION CENTER CONSOLE, HARLEY DAVISON F-150 LOWER FRONT VALANCE (painted oxford white) and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.52E.T * MPH - 93.73 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 16.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon JAZ fuel cell,etc

Old 05-21-2001, 03:27 PM
Sorry it was kind of a long post and I didn't catch everything but I had assumed that when he said longtubes and no cats thats what he wanted. Thus the Mustang (even a stock 2V) with LT headers and no cats (6 cats on the stang)will see better than 25BHP.

I don't get my Mustang info from magazines thanks, I do it to my cars and trucks before I talk about it, otherwise I post that its what I heard.

And finally no, I don't suppose a stroked to 408ci engine would gain a whole lot from LT headers, handmade or other. BTW what gears are you running in it and why an auto tranny?
Oh, and what weight are you running a 14.52?
Later

[This message has been edited by JUPITER (edited 05-21-2001).]

Old 05-21-2001, 08:13 PM
Cool

HI!... JUPITER : My RANGER is running 4.10 gears currently, that may change later on. WHY AN AUTO? You ask? In my opinion a AUTO tranny is the ONLY way to go for 1/4 mile. They are 10 imes more consistant than a manual and stronger if you build them right. I would NEVER go manual on a pure dragstrip vehicle.

As for my F-150 at 14.52E.T it weighs in at 4300LBS. It weighs 4500LBS when the tailgate, spare tire, front sway bar, and passenger seat is in.

------------------

Old 05-22-2001, 04:47 PM
Neal,
This is off of the original subject, but have you ever posted a picture of your truck? I always read the LONG sig and wonder what this beast looks like. If you haven't, please do so if you can, and concentrate on shooting under the hood. I'd like to do half of what you've done to my truck; heck, I'd like to just let you tinker with mine to help me straighten out my Powerdyne SC. Oh yeah, at the time I bought my Powerdyne I also picked up a set of shorty headers from FMS for my 4.6, but have yet to install them. I wanted my blower going properly first, plus they look like a bitch to install. Anyway, if you've already put out some pictures please let me know how to find them. Thanks a bunch!

------------------
1997 F150 SC Lariat 4x2 Styleside
Oxford White/Prairie Tan Metallic
4.6 auto, 3.55
17" ORP wheels w/ 275/60R17 Goodyear Eagle GTII's
Extang soft tonneau cover
Kenwood 7003 CD head unit w/ remote, Sony 2x25W and Clarion 2x100W amps, Ultimate 10" pickup boxes
Powerdyne 6 psi supercharger, Autometer boost gauge

To come:
Ford Motorsports headers
Ford Motorsports 9mm plug wires w/ plugs?
Autometer fuel pressure gauge
Superchip
4.10 rear w/ 23-tooth speedo gear (gotta read right!)

Wishful thinking:
SVT 18" Lightning rims (painted Prairie Tan to match two-tone) w/ 285/55R18 Yokohama AVS's

Old 05-22-2001, 04:58 PM
Cool

HI!... FORDMAN3 : E-mail me and I will send you some pics. My E-MAIL address is in my SIG below. Basically my truck looks bone stock, unless you have a good eye and see my side exhaust.

------------------

Old 05-23-2001, 11:46 AM
Question

Neal with all that you have listed you should be well into the 8's in the 1/8. my 4.6 with a k&n, jet power module, true duals with two chamber flowmasters, and a b&m electronic shift improver ran 9.5 and i have 3.08 gears. give me 4.10 and ill probaly put up your time or better.

Old 05-23-2001, 05:29 PM
Cool

HI!... MICKEYS97LARIAT : That would probably be because I spin for about 15-20 FT out of the hole! Most stock LIGHTNING's only manage a low 9 second 1/8TH mile time. 1/8TH mile times don't mean much when your running for 1/4 mile times. I've pulled WS6 RAM AIR TRANS AM's by 3 truck lengths out of the hole at the track, but at the 1/8TH mile mark they start creeping up on me and eventually pass me. I've also run MUSTANGS that beat me to the 1/8TH mile mark, but I've beat them at the 1/4 mile mark. Every vehicle is different where it's POWER come's on.

------------------

Old 05-24-2001, 02:14 AM
fordman3-

If you still think those hedders will be too much of a job for you, I'll gladly relieve you of them anytime!! ;-)

Neal-
I've always appreciated your opinion. You can seel my sig at the bottom. I am wondering about my next big purchase of either hedders, or an electric fan. Like Flex-a-lite, or some custom setup like your derales. Since you have almost everything, which do you think was the best "bang for the buck?" Both would cost similar for me. I would think the fans would give an edge in economy, but the hedders may do more for power, since I have a Gibson SS and WMS intake. This would remove one more bottleneck in the system. Your opinion (or anyone elses?)

------------------
'97 F-150 4x4 SC SB 4.6L. Riding on Sport King 265/75R16 AT's. ProComp 3000 shocks. Add-a-Leafs and rear block lift, torsion lift. Side Bars. WMS Intake, TB spacer, and Superchip!

Wish list: 4.10 Gears, Hedman Hedders, 3" body lift, 33x12.5 MT's!!

Quick Reply: long tube headers