turbo

Old 06-05-2002, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turbo

I know there are plenty of supercharger kits out there but to my knowledge no turbo kits. I think a turbo would be capable of producing more power I know you would prob need a twin turbo setup one for each manifold how difficult would it be to make your own kit and just buying the turbos would you need custom exhaust manifolds?

Old 06-06-2002, 12:52 AM
It would definitely take some fabricating.

Personally I like turbos because they are much more efficient that superchargers when driving "steady state" such as 60mph on the freeway where superchargers have more parasitic drag.

Remember the old Eagle Talon turbo, a friend of mine had one and he got something like 33mpg (imperial gallon = 4.55 litres) on the hwy but when you punched it then it really took off. The same car with a supercharger couldn't have gotten such good fuel economy.

Too bad neither option is cheap. I don't think I could make an excuse good enough to convince my wife I need a turbo or supercharger.

I heard some of the GM turbodiesels (1998) have a turbo only on one exhaust manifold. I could be wrong. Anyhow, only one turbo... perhaps they run into a y-pipe and then into the turbo but you lose some exhaust velocity and heat the farther away from the motor you plumb the turbo in.

Also, in most cases with a turbo you can replace your muffler with a straight pipe without it being too loud.

Last edited by p_ferlow; 06-06-2002 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-06-2002, 05:54 AM
Thumbs up

I was looking into a turbo kit for my truck also. I contacted TDC about a month ago. They said that they are currently working on a turbo kit for the V8 F150's. Didn't give me any details on the setup or when it would be ready. I assume they will offer a single and twin turbo kit, just by looking at their website, and what they have for the mustang.

Old 06-06-2002, 12:35 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
A turbo normally does not produce any appreciable levels of boost before 3000 rpm. How often do you drive at and above 300rpm. If you plan on towing you will not see power at 2000 rpm so you will have to drive in a lower gear. MPG will get ugly.

A turbo designed to produce boost at lower levels will blow the hoses off at 5000 rpm. If you use a waste gate system, at high rpm most of the boost will ge going out the gate. Ok this is an over simplification but that is why you should not just bolt on a system designed for a Mustang. Unless you want to drive above 3000 rpm.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 06-07-2002, 12:04 AM
im shooting for high rev horsepower...i would prob try to put on mustang cams as well... do you know if anyone has succefully pulled off a twin turbo setup?

Old 06-07-2002, 01:28 PM
i havent heard of anyone putting a turbo on a late model f-150, probably just because of fabrication costs. if i were you, id wait for the TDC kit, those people do some AMAZING things with turbos. i have a friend with a TDC kit on a stang and that carputs down some SERIOUS hp!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: turbo