Dealer Competence???? Cant do simple repairs

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2001, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dealer Competence???? Cant do simple repairs

I have a 97 sc lariat. Bught it as a R title flood vehicle from a scrap yard. One hell of a deal and only cost me 350.00 to repair.

I am a mechanical engineer and a motorhead. Anyway, had the truck for a year and kept getting recalls so finally took it in. Spring clip, shifter cable, fuel line and lug nuts. Picked it up at night put it in D and the indicator was closer to N. Also got an extra gear it was -1. (Maybee a free option).

This was my first dealer visit and my last. If they can't do a simple repair what happens if the repair becomes complicated.

They has to notice it when thay took the truck out of the garage!! Also this is an obvious check when you replace a shifter cable.

Just my two cents.

By the way use the truck very hard and it is great I may buy a new one soon.

Old 03-26-2001, 10:13 PM
was that recall number 99s62 automatic shifter cable recall ? if so then they did nt replace the cable but just took a tie strap and sercured to the bracket under the dash ?

Old 03-26-2001, 10:25 PM
I don't know but sounds logical. I will look at the cable tommorrow and see if it is new. When I took it back to the dealer just to show them it, they seemed upset that I told them I will adjust it myself (ie don't touch my truck).

Thanks for the tip I will post what I find tommorrow night.

Ps what was the recall suppose to accomplish??

Old 03-26-2001, 11:08 PM
Wink

Yes you are right, they do mess up on the simple stuff. Had a caliper freeze on a 94 t-bird,under warranty. Asked the dealer if they changed the pads, rotor and bearings too. Why they say? Because they got cooked on my way over here. Let's see, oh yeah, the tech did change the pads, that will be $120.00 please, pads are considered a wear item even if the caliper was the cause for thier demise. Yes,I was pissed, but get this; Half way home I step on the brakes and get that gut wrenching cutting sound you get when your rotor is being destroyed. Back to the dealer, Argue with the tech, make a deal with the owner.
Owner says-
I'll put it up on the lift, we'll pull the pads and if they are damaged I'll change the
rotors, bearings and give you a new set of pads. So we do; and they are; what a putz!

------------------
2001 Lariat Screw. Gen.3,
5.4, 4x4, All white w/ gray interior. 4r70w tranny, no problems yet,
wrong radiator, 3.55 gears

Quick Reply: Dealer Competence???? Cant do simple repairs