Recall on short tail pipe???

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2001, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Recall on short tail pipe???

Hi, I know this isn't the correct category but I figured I would get more response here. I just bought a 97 f150 which has the tail pipe that comes out in front of the rear tire. Due to this the rim is badly pitted and who knows what damage has been done to the brakes and axle seal. I've been told by many people that they had the longer pipe put on and the rim replaced under a recall but all the dealers tell me this recall doesn't exist. Does anyone know or has anyone had this replaced under a recall???

Thanks
Mike

------------------
1997 f150 4x4
extended cab, xlt
4.6, 5 speed 3.55 gears

Old 03-20-2001, 03:36 PM
Exclamation

The recall does (did) exist. I had it done 6 months before my warranty ran out. I would guess that might be the obstacle you might run into. I was lucky My rim did not need replaced. Someone who works for Ford may be able to tell you if the work is still covered. I actually liked the placement of the pipe but didn't like the green cover cap.

------------------
'97 F-150 4x4 4.6L Auto Off Road Moonlight Blue
Tow package, Westin Chrome Nerf bars, Color matched bug shield
Linex bed liner, Wizard Ultra White Headlights

Old 03-20-2001, 03:54 PM
it was infact a tsb not a recall, as it was not a safety concern nor would it effect vehicle operation. So if you are off warrenty you will have to pay for it yourself, an aftermarket warrenty may pay, but unlikely as it does not effect vehicle operation, causes a cosmetic concern, actually caused by the addatives in fuel wich contaminate the wheel and cap, ford has a polish wich can be used to clean the wheel, unless it is badly pitted.

Old 03-20-2001, 08:22 PM
i was looking at a truck with that situation but the dealer said it had to be under warranty to be done. (unless you pay for it out of pocket of course) but we all know that dealers arent up to par on such issues dont we. thats something that kinda makes me mad ya know. you go to a dealership and you would think that the dealer would know little something about the vehicles for sale. they never know the rated horsepower without looking it up. they usually cant even tell you if it 4 wheel drive without looking in the vehicle.

------------------
1998 xlt off road 5.4lsupercab auto pacific green clearcoat power drivers seat, keyless remote with factory alarm, tow package

2001 yamaha 660r raptor 4 wheeler

Old 03-20-2001, 09:56 PM
Too bad. The previous owner should have had it done before the original warranty was up. Everybody on this message board knew about it, but I guess it was not all that well known to the general public.

Old 03-20-2001, 10:08 PM
When I bought my truck it still had the exhaust exiting before the rear pass. wheel. I got dual exhaust which eliminated that problem. I was planning on changing the exhaust anyways so I didn't think anything about a tsb or recall for it.

------------------
1997 XLT Teal 4.6L Flareside 4x4 ORP. Automatic, Reg. cab, 3.55LS, tinted windows, bug deflector, Dual exhaust, K&N Generation 2 air filter, BullDog keyless entry/remote start(installed myself), Modern 16" wheels, bedliner, Covercraft tonneau cover, White faced gauges, electronic shift on the fly, Clarion ADX5655z Double Din Cassette & CD, 4 Pioneer TS-A6865 speakers and superchip. Going to add headers.

Old 03-20-2001, 10:38 PM
This was someting I never understood... Doesn't the Lightning exhaust STILL exit in front of the tire? (Trick question... YES it does!) What gives?!

------------------
2000 Extended Cab F-150
4X4 Offroad
Flairside Oxford White
AirRaid FIPK
2001 L Tails
2001 L 3rd Brake Light
2001 L Corners
Pioneer DEH8000, 12 Disc Changer, Custom Amp Rack, Rockford Fosgate Punch 160, Rockford Fosgate 10" SUB. Keyless entry on Drivers door. Brushguard, 2 160 Watt K.C.'s, Duraliner Bed Liner.

Old 03-20-2001, 10:48 PM
It was a TSB, not a recall. If you caught it while under warranty and complained about it enough, you probably would get it replaced as a warranty item.

I still have the short pipe on my truck. The rims look just fine after 4.5 years of road rash. The center cap will need to be replaced this year again. I am currently on my second cap. It looks just fine all summer long. Winter does it in. My theory (and thats all it is) is that the exhaust condenses on the cold wheel and cap when very cold outside. When it's below zero, you can see the frost build up from this. Maybe, maybe not. My truck was at 60,000 miles before the cap changed color - well out of warranty!

You can look for a recall all you want, but it doesn't exist - its only a TSB, covered under your 3/36 warranty or out of your own pocket otherwise.

[This message has been edited by gopher (edited 03-21-2001).]

Quick Reply: Recall on short tail pipe???