AMSOIL TS49 Air Filter. Anybody heard of this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2001, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AMSOIL TS49 Air Filter. Anybody heard of this?

OK,

I currently use the K&N on my 5.4l 99 F-series, good flow, but I'm concerned about dirt getting through/plugging up quickly.

I'm considering the AMSOIL filter.

Who out there knows anything good or bad about the AMSOIL air filter for our trucks (other than the AMSOIL web site which doesn't even list this filter as being available for our trucks, but in fact, it is available - AMSOIL PN: TS49). I've heard good things about their oil filters (like the Mobil 1 oil filter too) but haven't heard anything about the AMSOIL AIR filter on this site.

------------------
1999 4X4SC, F250 Light Duty, 5.4L (replaced with new 5.4L 04/11/00 due to oil leak)
3.73LS
Gibson Sweptside
K&N
Bilsteins

Old 03-07-2001, 01:18 PM
Roden,

I emailed the AMSOIL tech line from their web site and they emailed the TS49 part number back saying that they DO manufacture an air filter for my 99 5.4l.

Hmmm????

------------------
1999 4X4SC, F250 Light Duty, 5.4L (replaced with new 5.4L 04/11/00 due to oil leak)
4R100 also replaced with reman on 02/07/01 due to hard 3-4 downshift.
3.73LS
Gibson Sweptside
K&N
Bilsteins
Flip Chip

Old 03-07-2001, 01:27 PM
mpocrats, I'm sure you are correct. It makes no sense that they wouldn't make one. The guy I spoke to seemed adament, but I will assume that he was wrong. As far as oiled foam filters go, I can only go by experience with dirt bikes. They do a terrific job of keeping out dust in that application

Old 03-07-2001, 08:09 PM
gah
Exclamation

When I spoke to Amsoil about a year ago, they said that they don't make an air filter for the 5.4L but they would sell me one made by another company. Maybe that's the filter with the TS49 part #. I was told that they have no plans to make a filter for the 5.4L. It's a pity, because I was very happy with the Amsoil air filter in my '99 Ranger 4.0L.

------------------
'00 5.4L AUTO 4X4 Lariat (Black/Silver)
'02 F-350 PSD CC DRW 6SPD 4X4 Lariat (order this year)
www.hawthorn-engineering.com

Old 03-08-2001, 12:32 AM
mpocrats, I've been asking the same question. I phoned Amsoil's tech dept. yesterday and was told that they don't make one for our trucks. I was surprised seeing as how these are some of the most popular vehicles on the road. But I'm sure i've seen where others on this site have used them. An Amsoil expert should be along anytime to verify this.

Old 03-08-2001, 08:43 AM
It's my understanding that it would be too expensive to make a foam air filter in the Conical style.

Here's the reason.

Ford designed the current filter to make the air swirl(like a tornado) this is supposed to help with better air flow and such.

What causes this swirl is the way they designed the pleats and the degree of the cone shape.

With the Foam filter there is no way to do this. I would be hard to design pleats that would do the same as the factory filter.

Hence why K&N can make one but we can't. Now unless Amsoil started making the filter in the last month I heard they were not going to make it.

The TS 49 is the same filter that goes in the crown vics. I would assume that it is a flat panel type?
Anyone have a 97/98 Crown Vic. In my book that is what the TS 49 fits

Hope this helps

------------------
Lube-Direct

New Lubrication Forums

Quick Reply: AMSOIL TS49 Air Filter. Anybody heard of this?