Lower ride height = better gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2001, 12:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hey Raoul, I can get over 750 miles with mine full on the highway.

What I don't understand is how in the he!! can I be getting better gas mileage than a guy with the newer equivalent truck to mine. It just doesn't make sense, I always thought as technology gets better, so does the gas mileage on the trucks. Take a truck from the 70's or 80's and compare it to mine, I am sure that I will be getting better mileage than them. So it should go with mine compared to post '97's then. The only way that I will ever get the same mileage as I am right now, is if I buy a F150 with a diesel in it and they don't even make one of them yet!! I have even looked at a SuperDuty F250 Supercab, Long Box with the diesel and most guys are getting pretty close to what I am getting right now. The V10's don't even come close to my figures.

If I go to Norfolk this year, I can fill up in Windsor and I don't have to stop except for food and washroom breaks and I would still have fuel left when I get there. And that is about a 13 hour drive, I get about 22-23 mpg with my truck on the highway and around 18-19 combined. Never tracked it in city driving because I don't drive enough city to burn a full tank.

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean

------------------
1994 F-150 XLT Supercab, Long Box, 302 EFI, 3.55 LS, K&N FIPK, Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs, Automatic, Single Catalytic converter, followed by a Raven Z-55 muffler and finished off with chrome tips (2 1/2" to 3"), Royal Blue in and out, Captain Chairs. Chrome Rims 15x8's, Michelin LTX M/S 105S 235/75R15 (Summer), OEM Aluminum Rims 15x8's, Michelin LTX M/S 108S (Winter), Lightly Tinted, Soft Tonneau Cover, Ford Receiver Hitch Cover & Lock, J&J Enterprises Stainless Steel AirDam with KC driving lights, Lund Supersteps, Lighted Grab Bars, VTech Slotted Taillight Covers, Alpine CDM-7829 Head Unit, PPI 4800 Amplifier, Kicker 10" Solo Baric Sub with Custom Box and Kicker Impulse 6.5 Mid & Tweets.

Old 03-08-2001, 03:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IzzyEddy:
Hey Raoul, I can get over 750 miles with mine full on the highway.

What I don't understand is how in the he!! can I be getting better gas mileage than a guy with the newer equivalent truck to mine.
..&lt;snip&gt;....
</font>
Nothing like the old dual tanks, unless you run them both low and then hit the pumps! On one trip I had a $65 dollar fill up.

My truck is similar to yours, in my case standard bed and 4x4. With the 302 and 3.31s it would break 20 every now and then stock on the road. The ignition bumped it more. My last fill (today) averaged 15 and that's worst case driving. All but 25 or so miles in town, cold weather warm ups, winter fuel, etc., and still got 15!

Now to the old truck engines vs. new. I think the main reason is ouput. Our 5.0s are much closer in output to the 4.6 engines, so in theory we should probably compare more closely to them. Either way the new engines are putting out more HP and torque per cubic inch, and would probably sacrifice some economy in doing so.

Quick Reply: Lower ride height = better gas mileage?