Just installed my Mods but have questions

Old 03-05-2001, 10:26 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just installed my Mods but have questions

I have a '99 single cab 4.6 V8 2wd. My pics of it are posted here...
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/f150aggie
Well this past weekend I installed the K&N generation II FIPK and put true dual exhaust with two single in-single out flowmasters. And I like the little bit of improvement but I was expecting more. I dont know if my hopes are too high or what. Or if you have to reset the computer or anything to make it realize what has changed. Any help or advice on how to make it perform better would help greatly. Other than that I'm loving my truck

------------------
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/f150aggie

Old 03-05-2001, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should definitely reset the computer. Or you expectations might be too high. Probably both :-)

Old 03-05-2001, 09:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... It does matter how big in diameter that your duel exhaust pipes are. But it is more important on what chamber your mufflers are. My "5.4" has 2-1/2 mandrel bent, true duel exhaust with a set of 3-chamber straight in, straight out FLOWMASTER's. I actually GAINED low end torque and high end H.P! If I would of gone with 2-chamber FLOWMASTER's, then I definately would of lost low end torque. You have to do some serious thinking with a engine when going to a true duel exhaust system. Engine size (CI), H.p it will be producing and RPM that it will be operating at. These all contribute to how you have to design your system. Just don't think that large diameter pipes and a very free flowing muffler are going to give you tons of H.P and TQ because in fact if you do that, you will lose both of those. On a 5.4 and 4.6 V-8 when going to a true duels set-up you can stick with the factory 2-1/2 piping, but go with slightly restrictive mufflers like a FLOWMASTER 3-chamber or it's equivelent. On a 4.2 V-6, I would go with the 3-chambers but use 2-1/4 tailpipes. You could go with 2-1/2 tailpipes, but try to get a slightly more restrictive muffler than a 3-chamber and you should re-tain your low-end torque. Hope this helps you out.

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor, custom ported TB intake elbow, relocated ATS.

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, CUSTOM SUPERCHIP FLIP-CHIP, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 80MM PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC TRACTION BARS, EXTRUDE HONED INTAKE MANIFOLD, SHM CUSTOM FUEL RAILS, SHM "RACE WATER PUMP, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 DROP, EXPEDITION CENTER CONSOLE, HARLEY DAVISON F-150, LOWER FRONT VALANCE (painted oxford white) and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER.

ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 330H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.53E.T * MPH - 93.00 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

[This message has been edited by Neal (edited 03-05-2001).]

Old 03-05-2001, 11:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow - Well said, Neal. I learn something almost every day from your posts! You really put a lot of thought and effort into your truck.

By the way, my next 2 mods are probably going to be a Baumann shift kit and a dual 16" electric fan conversion. I probably won't be seeing any 14.53's with my 4x4 but it is still fun to blow away ricers, Tundras, and a few dakotas now and then.

------------------
Howie's Effie
Amazon Green 2000 F150 XLT 5.4L 4x4 ORP Supercab Flareside
Captains Chairs, Electronic Shift, Rear Slider, Keyless Entry, Cab Steps, 3.55 L/S
Mods: Superchip, FIPK, Flowmaster Force II, Scorpion Spray in Liner, fogs + hibeams (thanks FedExPilot)

Wife's New Ride: 2001 Mustang GT Convertible!
True Blue with Tan Top and Tan Leather.

Old 03-06-2001, 12:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey F150Aggie,

Your exhaust mod may have hurt your performance. If the pipes are too big you may have lost a bunch of torque at the low end - you can really feel this in a truck. It is a tradeoff - high flow at high rpm will yield more HP but less torque. More restriction will give more torque (up to a point) but less HP and less RPM.

Dual 2 1/2 pipes would be too much for a 5.4, so I hope your dual pipes are 2" or 2-1/4" each.

Nice looking truck. Good luck!

------------------
Howie's Effie
Amazon Green 2000 F150 XLT 5.4L 4x4 ORP Supercab Flareside
Captains Chairs, Electronic Shift, Rear Slider, Keyless Entry, Cab Steps, 3.55 L/S
Mods: Superchip, FIPK, Flowmaster Force II, Scorpion Spray in Liner, fogs + hibeams (thanks FedExPilot)

Wife's New Ride: 2001 Mustang GT Convertible!
True Blue with Tan Top and Tan Leather.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just installed my Mods but have questions