Are larger mass air flow sensors worth it?

Old 03-02-2001, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Are larger mass air flow sensors worth it?

I currently have pullies, K&N FIPK, Superchip, K&N exhaust (installing today), and will have headers installed later this month. Would an aftermarket mass air benifit me in any way, or is it like a larger throttle body and not really necessary until major modifications are performed like supercharging? Also, do I need to get my Superchip reprogrammed if I get an aftermarket mass air?

------------------
'97 F-150XLT extra-cab w/ 4.6L Windsor and auto.
Superchip!
K&N filtercharger
Jett underdrive pulley
mild shift kit
Future plans:
4.6 to 5.4PI head swap
headers
Borla cat-back exhaust
supercharger (haven't decided which one, yet)

Old 03-02-2001, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elmo: One indicator if you want even more power might be the changes Ford made to the '01 Lightning. They got another 20 horses and 10 lb-ft of torque by enlarging the air intake system upstream from the throttle body: the air intake opening in the fender is one-quarter inch larger (than the '00 Lightning), as is the inlet tube (duct) from the fender opening to the filter box. They also went to a larger mass-air sensor, up from 80 to 90 mm.

To really put the power down where you can use it, they dropped the rear diff from 3.55 to 3.73 ratio.

Anyway, that's the route the factory took in this instance. Good luck! And post some results for us all. That would be interesting.

[This message has been edited by Shifter (edited 03-02-2001).]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are larger mass air flow sensors worth it?