Fram SureDRAIN

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fram SureDRAIN

Has anyone used this? Go to www.fram.com and click on "Sure Drain" below the menu on the left.
It seems like a good idea.

Old 03-31-2002, 11:41 AM
personally there is no substitute for a wrench, so no there would not be one on my truck. But I do have to say it is an intresting idea.

Old 03-31-2002, 12:10 PM
that might be worth a look for some folks....the big scare is it coming loose and one losing all their oil and blowing an engine....can you say lawsuit??

Old 04-02-2002, 01:15 PM
I'm considering it. Looks like a box end wrench will open it if needed and I like the idea of draining the pan and the filter in to the same receptacle at the same time.

Old 04-02-2002, 01:24 PM
I seen this at the local Wallyworld (Walmart) but I found no listing for the FORD trucks. When I got home I went to the website, e-mailed fram and have gotten NO RESPONSE and that was alittle over 1 week ago as to what one I would need.

I guess there customer service made up my mind if I would try it!

Just my 2 cents!

Joey "O"

Old 04-02-2002, 01:34 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
There is one thing to consider when installing these kind of products. How far do the threads stick up into the oil pan. If they stick up past the bottom of the pan a pool of contaminated oil will be left in the oil pan. When you remove the bolt there is nothing sticking up in the pan so all the oil can drain out.

Regards

Jean M'arc Chartier

Old 04-02-2002, 01:40 PM
its a good idea, but i dont think i will use one. i like warm oil on my arms

Old 04-02-2002, 09:54 PM
that looks like a vastly improved version of the fumoto valve.

If the "sure-drain" valve fails, I wonder how well the cap would hold everything in.

Old 04-02-2002, 10:09 PM
I personally used to use Fram filters on all my vehicles years ago. Then I noticed they seemed to be having some quality control problems. I personally have had three leaky (at the seams) oil filters, and one that was in the wrong box (I'm a slow learner). The real kicker was when I tried to contact the company (Allied signal) about the problems. I only got in touch with a person once, out of MANY attempts. The guy had such a defensive attitude that I just gave up. I use Motorcraft filters in my Ford products now. Everything else I use Wix or Puralator.

I won't be buying any products from Fram unless I have to. I just don't have confidence that they will stand behind their products.

Old 04-14-2002, 05:43 PM
is anyone using one of these bad boys yet?

Old 04-15-2002, 12:38 AM
Not used the Fram drain. Have a Fumto on my wife's pickup. However at work all our Caterpillar and Leibherr equipment have the same system as Fram's. Works great and no problems.

Old 04-15-2002, 10:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fram's Web Site says the SD2 fits ford F150s.

I might try one, even theough I hate cheaply made Fram products. Seems kinda expensive: $12.95 where I buy things from.

Old 04-15-2002, 06:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Is it really that hard to pull the stock drain plug out? All you have to do is push on it a little while unscewing it. Then when you feel the last thread, pull it out and away....... Oh yeah, Don't position the pan directly underneath the drain hole. Move it a little ways back to compensate for the "arc" of draining oil as it leaves the pan.

Old 04-15-2002, 07:37 PM
I think with these things a lot of "non-car people" will try to change there own oil. Scary thought, these are the same people that will dump oil down the sewer instead of bringing it to a recycling center.

A guy brought his car into work the other day, he changed his own oil but couldn't find the filter (right next to the pan hanging straight down), so we charged him the regular oil change price to change the filter and add 1/2 qt of oil.

I can see a lot of people forgetting to tighted the filter and seizing there engines. Oh well, more work for me

-Jon

Old 04-15-2002, 09:27 PM
I wouldn't worry about the threads sticking into the pan. In most cases the pan is reinforced where the drain plug goes in so there is always a little oil leftover. (and this reinforcement also takes up most of the threads)

The fram system seems to be a solid design because you have to push up on the valve to release the oil hence the constant oil pressure from the oil in the pan will keep the valve shut.

I prefer the much more solid design of the fumoto valve which has been tested on millions of engines. (Including my 3 vehicles) I drive A LOT and i change my oil A LOT so the valves just make it a little easier.

Hey Mitch150 you are the only other person beside me describe how to push in on the drain plug while taking it out! I have tried to teach that trick to people for years! Even seasoned mechanics haven't been able to figure it out, or they just don't have the touch! (Which is why I don't trust most shops)

Peace!

Quick Reply: Fram SureDRAIN