Help! Help! Help! Oh Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help! Help! Help! Oh Please Help!

So, it's spring, i clean my engine, like the good Ford owner i am, and how does my truck repay me for the good eed i did? It runs like CRAP! This was 2 days ago..the first day it would misfire and run just terribly..today, it was ok at first, but when it got to running temp. it would misfire BADLY and run like crap! The chesk engine light is on as well...did i get water somewhere i shouldnt have? i was real careful and did not use a power washer, i checked all the vacuum lines all seem to be connected, WHAT DO I DO NEXT???? PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Old 04-12-2002, 05:34 PM
Not sure what your best solution would be.

When I wash mine I always make sure the motor is still slightly warm (not hot!), and start it up right away and let it get hot to evaporate any standing water anywhere on the motor.

I you got a lot of water on the top of the motor you may have gotten water into the spark plug holes. Not good. Try compressed air and/or a shot of WD40 to disperse the water. Something is being shorted out by the water somewhere.

Pull the wires off the coil packs and inspect them for water.

Old 04-12-2002, 05:39 PM
FINALLY, some help! thanks...i will do so, i did wash it when it was warm..and then did let it run, just like you said, guess it wasnt good enough...i will try and pull the wires off, but they are a real pain to get to....i already tried this...as for watre in the plug holes.....how bad of aproblem is this? how will i know? what will it do? thanks again---frustarted medic...

Old 04-12-2002, 05:43 PM
sounds like coil paks man, seen it happen before! :/

Qball

Old 04-12-2002, 05:46 PM
Q-bal, please xaplin more, how cna i rectofy this? are they ruined? what can i do? please help pal!

Old 04-12-2002, 05:50 PM
wow, bad typing on my part, sorry, JUST REALLY MAD!!!! Kepp up the help fella's.

Old 04-12-2002, 06:02 PM
Sorry to re-post guys, but i REALLY need some answeres to this problem...i need to fix my truck ASAP, thanks for understanding.

Old 04-12-2002, 06:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the 4.6 has 2 coil packs and spark plug wires right? I think you can just get one from autozone and replace it easy enough - just pull everything off, unbolt the old one, and installation is the reveral of the removal? I would reset the computer by disconnecting the battery, then turn on the headlight switch to drain all power. Just be careful and make sure you put the spark plug wires back on in the correct order.

I think the onboard computer may know which pack is causing the misfire. If someone you know has a code reader go for it. Otherwise, if you replace one side, and the problem still exists, you can try the coil on the other side to isolate the problem.

If it's coil-over-plug like the 5.4's a code reader would be absolutely necessary to make the job manageable.

Or maybe all of this advice is BS I dont own a 4.6, but some friends do and this is just how I'd approach it. I think the preffered coil pack brand around here is Accel?

Also, is the CEL on for the duration or is it flashing? The flashing is confirmation of misfire.

Hope that helps??

Last edited by hades281; 04-12-2002 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-12-2002, 06:14 PM
negative, i belive there is 1 coil pack PER PLUG, i could be wrong though, thanks for your input.

Old 04-12-2002, 06:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's coil-over-plug, your best friend is the code reader. It should be able to tell you exactly which cylinders are experiencing the misfire. You can R&R those coils - there probably is a way or place that can test em. Some good instructions on how to do this (from people that have done this firsthand) are around here.... but have some band-aids ready and a few hours set aside, apparently they aren't easy to get to.

I hope that is the problem and not something major. These coils can short out with water, as evidenced by the #4 coil burnout thanks to the heater hose clamp.

Old 04-12-2002, 06:24 PM
not even gonna try to remove them....i think i will just let it dry out...or maybe just seel it and buy a dodge!

Old 04-12-2002, 09:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't sell your truck and get that Dodge just yet take a little road trip say about 100 or so miles and see if that helps dry out the engine

Old 04-12-2002, 11:01 PM
maybe i will try that, however it is very frustrating driving that far with your truck misfiring like crazy, i may just wanna drive it over a bridge or something..anybody wanna f-150? pics in gallery..make an offer!

Old 04-12-2002, 11:36 PM
pgh_medic,

I have had this happen on other vehicles. I have not washed my 99' xlt 4.6 yet ( bought it only 4 months ago). Here are my suggestions.

1. Contact http://www.allexperts.com and pick a Ford expert and explain what the problem is in detail. You will have an answer within 3 days. Its free and they have never been wrong on any topic I have asked about.

2. While waiting on an answer, take your most powerful hair blowdryer and use it around all electric items under the hood.

3. After using the blowdryer for a while, then start it up and let it heat up the engine.

When you washed the engine compartment, are you sure you did not bump something and loosen a plug in of some sort. DId you only use a water hose or did you also use a wash rag? Have you checked all the plug ins including both ends of the plug wires?

Good luck and give us an update. Thanks.

Old 04-12-2002, 11:41 PM
Iron Horse, thanks soo much for your info., i will be sure to follow your instructions! I sprayed the engine (warm, not hot!) with engine brite, then let it sit for about 10 mins., then hosed it off, gentle stream nothing hard with a garden hose. Now i get crap! I like the hair dryer thing, i will try that, i did check all the electrical components today, all seem fine, but they may be wet inside? I will keep you all spoted, please if anyone else has anything to add, speak up, all info. is welcome!