Oil Filter Location

Old 04-03-2002, 07:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Filter Location

Ok from what I understand I have a Expy set up, my oil filter is more or less behind the drivers side headlight and has the hoses running back to the engine. It is nice tochange the filter but I have to add another qt making 7qt's total and if one of those hoses ever went I would be in deep sh*t. I see in the haynes book that the filter should be right in the way above the fron axel and a real pain to get to. Is that a 2x4 set up and mine is a 4x4 set up or is it something different still.

Old 04-03-2002, 07:49 PM
The lightning and superduties have an oil cooler and the filter is located under the truck and near the oil pan. It is fairly easy to get to. Probably $300+ to change it, but then you would have an oil cooler also. No hoses.

Old 04-03-2002, 08:05 PM
I might be able to help a bit. I know that (this will sound stupid, but it is true) in 1997 Ford made 2 different 4.6 L engines for F-150's, one being a 280 c.i.d. and the other being a 281 c.i.d. Your VIN will tell you which one you have. I have a 281 and the oil filter is behind the bumper on the drivers side. I have a friend with a 280 and his filter is on the drivers side of the block. Occationally, when buying parts you will need to know which engine you have.

Old 04-03-2002, 10:46 PM
Except I have a 5.4 it is a late model year, made in febuary if I remember right. I know the expy's have the filter behind the headlight and i thought maybe since I have 4x4 that the filter cant fit under the engine where it is shown in the haynes manual. Maybe it has to do with the tow package like you said with the oil cooler. I dont remember seeing any engine oil cooler though.

Old 04-03-2002, 11:59 PM
well IF it is anything like it is on the expy, i say LEAVE IT BE if you have no problems with it. The expedition it harder than he!! to turn. get your knuckles cut becasue you can't get a dam filter wrench in there. and turning it is a slowwwwww process too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Filter Location