Crank Pulley Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crank Pulley Help

This isn't on a Ford Truck - but maybe someone can help me.....

I have been working on replacing the head gasket for four days now (a couple of hours a day) on my wife's car. Okay don't laugh to hard now - it's a 91 Plymouth Colt. Everything well went with the head gasket, but I have needed to change the timing belt for a while. I got the belt cover off, everything out of the way EXCEPT the crank pulley. I can get the ONE center bolt off the thing. We tried holding the piston while the heads were off, that didn't work.....even tried a tire iron on the timing pulley (on the crank shaft) to hold it still.....with no avail we tried the electric impact, and everything else we could think of.

Anyone had trouble with this? I need any kind of suggestion as to how to get the stupid thing off. Keep in mind space is LIMITED! The manuals all say there was a 2.0L option available - not sure how they squeezed anything but the 1.5L in there.....

Anyway - we are taking the air impact to it tomorrow - if anyone can think of anything please email me, or respond here!

Thanks so very much!
Robbie
rkrausen@iglou.com

Old 03-23-2002, 08:10 PM
Wheel Puller

You have to pull it off with equal force on the pully.
Buy/Rent A Wheel puller. & stop busting your knuckles..

LOL

JT

Old 03-24-2002, 09:29 AM
Getting the pulley off shouldn't be a problem - getting the nut that holds it on is........I have pullers, but the nut has to come off first. There isn't enough room for a puller anyway - there is about an inch and a quarter or space.

Quick Reply: Crank Pulley Help