Smell of hot antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2000, 01:17 PM
Jag
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Smell of hot antifreeze

Bought my '98 used back in April and have noticed a strong odor of antifreeze after it has been driven for a while and the engine warmed up. The truck has a little over 20K miles on it.

I've checked the hoses, radiator, overflow, and heater core. No leaks apparent and I haven't had to add any antifreeze to the system.

Is this normal or am I missing something?

'98 silver 4x4, 4.6, ORP, EC, 4.6, captains chairs, and the ever present aroma of hot antifreeze.

Old 12-05-2000, 01:59 PM
JAG,
THEIR IS A HOSE ON THE PASSANGER SIDE OF THE ENGINE THAT HAS THE SPRING TYPE HOSE CLAMP ON IT THAT MAY BE LEAKING. IT IS LOCATED ABOVE THE LAST CYLINDER AND SHOULD BE DIRECTLY OVER THE #4 COIL FOR THAT CYLINDER. THE HOSE HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED BY FORD AS NEEDING REPLACING BECAUSE IT HAS BEEN FOUND TO LEAK ONTO THE #4 COIL AND SOMEHOW SHORT THE COIL. LOOK AT THE HOSES AROUND THE REAR CYLINDER ON THE PASSANGER SIDE FOR ANY SIGN OF ANTIFREEZE LEAKING.

Old 12-05-2000, 02:33 PM
Jag
Thumbs up

Thanks.

I'll check it out tonight after work!

Old 12-05-2000, 03:53 PM
I too had a strong smell of anti-freeze from my rig. I have a 97 4x4 with the 4.6. I wasn't loosing any anti-freeze either. I did notice some antifreeze in the V of the motor and then noticed some at the front of the motor near the thermostat housing. Turned out to be intake gaskets leaking. I've heard a problem on earlier 4.6 motors. Got it repaired yesterday at dealer. 324.00 to repair!!

------------------
Dennis

Old 12-05-2000, 06:37 PM
Jag
Talking

PROBLEM SOLVED!

I checked tonight, and sure enough, I found antifreeze sitting on top of the valve cover near the area of the #4 cylinder spark plug.

Of the two heater hoses, the one with the spring clamp wasn't leaking. The other hose (which is directly above the valve cover), which looked like the original spring clamp was replaced by an ordinary hose clamp, was the culprit. I tightened the clamp, which was loose, I think my problem is solved.

Boy, what an awkward place to get at.

Thanks again!

Old 12-05-2000, 06:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The best way to find a leak is to buy a radiator pressure tester and the adapter that fits our radiator cap. Pressurize the system while it's cold and look for the puddle. Any reputable radiator shop should be able to check they system for you this way.
-Joe-

------------------
98 Explorer (Lemon Law Case in Progress)

'00 F-150, X-cab, 4x4, Lariat, Off-road, Trailer Tow, Holandia Sunroof, built 11/99 picked up 10/00!
List of planned mods: Clear corners and tails, CB wiring, Stainless brush guard, at least 1 set of KCs (probably more!), custom radar detector mount, color matched trailer hitch with stainless steel ball, torsion bar tweak, bug deflector, spray in liner, and a tonneau of some sort...

Old 12-05-2000, 07:37 PM
Jag,
Good thing you found the problem when you did. I was north of Dallas heading down to Houston when my hose started leaking coolant on my #4 coil and ruined the coil causing engine problems on the way back. Needless to say, it wasn't a very smooth ride. A couple hundred dollars later it's all fixed. Wish I would have know.

------------------
'98 F150 S/C 5.4 V8 4x2, Aggie maroon, spindle lift, blocks and leafs, Rancho RSX shocks, Airaid filter system, Pro Comp 305/70/16, AR Baja 16x8, Dynomax duals, and some other stuff

Old 12-10-2000, 11:40 PM
Smile

TEXAS,
GO AND CHECK THE TSB'S AND RECALL ORDERS FOR YOUR YEAR MODEL TRUCK. IF MY MEMORY ISNT FAILING ME THERE WAS A TSB OR RECALL FOR THE HOSE CLAMP AND IF SO YOU MAY BE ABLE TO GET FORD TO REPAY YOU FOR EXPENSES PAID FOR BY YOU TO REPAIR YOUR TRUCK. GOOD LUCK

Old 12-11-2000, 10:10 PM
36racin,
I agree, totally correct, and that's what had my 5.4 missing, a leaking hose. but what's ironic is that the hose had to be pre-assembled cause you could not get a wrench on it (it was backwards, indicating the hose was put on the engine before it was installed in the truck. Watch it people this one will get you and get you good if you take it in to a dealer.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 36racin:
JAG,
THEIR IS A HOSE ON THE PASSANGER SIDE OF THE ENGINE THAT HAS THE SPRING TYPE HOSE CLAMP ON IT THAT MAY BE LEAKING. IT IS LOCATED ABOVE THE LAST CYLINDER AND SHOULD BE DIRECTLY OVER THE #4 COIL FOR THAT CYLINDER. THE HOSE HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED BY FORD AS NEEDING REPLACING BECAUSE IT HAS BEEN FOUND TO LEAK ONTO THE #4 COIL AND SOMEHOW SHORT THE COIL. LOOK AT THE HOSES AROUND THE REAR CYLINDER ON THE PASSANGER SIDE FOR ANY SIGN OF ANTIFREEZE LEAKING.
</font>

Quick Reply: Smell of hot antifreeze