Which FIPK?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2000, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which FIPK?

OK, this site helped me bigtime with my choice of a catback - Ravin Z-55; so now I need an FIPK? Price is not that big of a deal, I'm looking for a performance/looks/quality trifecta? So, is it the K&N Gen II, Airaid, AirForce One, or? From my perusal of this site, it appears the K&N and Airaid are very close in performance and the deciding factor is looks. Some say the AirForce One is the best built and the best looking. What do you guys recommend and why? Do the chrome/silver applications look good or are they a little too much?

Look forward to hearing from the experts,
Mike

------------------
2000 Silver F150 XLT 5.4L Supercab 5.4
3.55 LS, Class III Tow Package

Ravin Z-55 3" SI/S0
Line X Bedliner
Better Built Tool Box

FIPK up next

Old 10-29-2000, 11:08 PM
Airaid was my choice. Much like you I was debating between K&N and Airaid. It came down to which one looked better to me. The silver tube looked better to me. You can see how it looks in my truck by going to my webpage from my signature.

------------------
F150IslandBoy

1997 F150 Lariat
SuperCab, Dark Toreador Red w/ Gold, Styleside, 4.6L, A/T, A/C, 3.55 Limited Slip, Class III Tow Package, Leather Captain Seats, Sliding Rear Window.
Modifications:
Airaid FIPK, Flowmaster Delta Flow 50 Series, Bugflector II, Viper 500ESP Alarm, Pendaliner Bedliner, Cobra Trapshooter 3 Radar Detector, CARR Tubular Nerf Bars, Ventshade Ventvisors & Taillight Covers, Monroe Sensa-Trac w/ Safe Trac Shocks, NFA 1400 Compact 55W=>85W Halogen O.E. Lights, Durango 255/70R16, Chrome eyelet tie downs, Smoked front lic. plate cover.

Old 10-30-2000, 02:01 PM
Smile

Zen,
I went with the Velocity Tube from WMS Motorsports in Alberta, Canada. Check out http://www.wmsracing.com for more info. I went with the V Tube for two reasons. Price and use of the stock airbox to maintain cooler air temps. At $88 bucks it's hands down the most cost effective of the FIPK's. The air temp debate is a hot one. Some say it's a big deal, others don't think so. For me, it also makes things easier if I have to replace everything to get some warranty work done. As for looks, IMO the stainless Air Force One is the best looking by far. The silver Airaid comes close but the K&N is just cheesy looking. I've heard others say the fit and finish on the Airaid and AF1 exceed the others but I'm very happy with my V Tube. In the end, as with most mods, it comes down to what you want. Welcome to the board and keep us posted.

------------------
Stock Stuff:
Y2K SCab 4X4, Chesnut Metallic, 5.4L, 3.55 Limited Slip, Skid Plates, Factory AM/FM/CD, 40/60 Split Bench, Sliding Rear Window, Towing Package and Keyless Entry.

Extras so far:
  • GY 305/70X16 Wrangler ATS Tires
  • American Eagle Series 146 Chrome Wheels
  • Ravin Z-55 3" Single In/Out Exhaust System
  • WMS Velocity Tube
  • K&N Filter
  • Blaupunkt Houston CD Player
  • Blaupunkt PCxt573 Speakers
  • Clear Corner Lenses
  • PIAA Super White Bulbs
  • GTS Hood Deflector
  • Catch-All Floor Mats
  • Tinted Windows
  • Bull Ring Retractable Tie-Downs
  • www.f150online.com Sticker (below center brake light)
  • University of Georgia Hitch Cover "GO DAWGS!"
Coming Soon:
  • Clear Tail Lights
  • PIAA Air Dam #30530
  • PIAA 520 Series Fog Lights
  • Spray-in Liner (or Herculiner haven't decided)
  • Stainless Step Bars
Pictures:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...3401&a=8556922

[This message has been edited by onemilmhz (edited 10-30-2000).]

Old 10-30-2000, 06:21 PM
One:

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards the AirForce One, mostly because of looks/build quality. It does seem like there is the need for some type of hybrid design between the two schools of thought. Is there a commercial design or is it all DIY experimentation?

Mike

------------------
2000 Silver F150 XLT 5.4L Supercab

Ravin Z-55 3" SI/S0
Line X Bedliner
Better Built Tool Box

FIPK up next

Old 10-31-2000, 07:21 PM
Question

ZenAudio- You didn't mention this, but are you looking for a FIPK that is 50-state CARB certified since you live in California? If you are, the K&N is the only one that has it to my knowledge. The 2000 model just got it last week.

------------------
2000 F-150 XL,RC,LB,5.4,4R70W,3.55LS,
Class III tow/Payload #3/Convenience pkgs.,
4-wheel disc/ABS,Chestnut/Parchment 40/60,
Ford bedliner & gas/wheel/spare locks,
3" cold air box modification, Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back,
3" exit Y-pipe, Hellwig rear anti-sway bar,
Rancho RS9000s.

Old 10-31-2000, 07:33 PM
Red face

Good point Max. I've heard that the Air Force One is pursuing a CARB, but that Airaid is not.

Am I correct in assuming that the only real problem with a CARB-less FIPK is that you would have to switch back to factory for smog? Any other concerns I need to know about?

Thanks,
Mike

------------------
2000 Silver F150 XLT 5.4L Supercab

Ravin Z-55 3" SI/S0
Line X Bedliner
Better Built Tool Box

FIPK up next

Old 11-01-2000, 01:58 PM
Cool

I always find smog and visuals a bit troubling. Some ask for CARB certificates for any mod that is not certified as a "replacement" part; which FIPKs are not. Some people put on their OEM unit and others pass visuals with the FIPK on. I just like to play it safe, if possible.

Old 11-01-2000, 03:04 PM
i just installed the airforce one, nice piece, easy to install and looks good. as for the C.A.R.B. certification the airforce one said they expect to be passed by years end and will be sending all the prior customers the # as soon as it passes.

Old 11-06-2000, 04:42 PM
Zen,
I had the FIPK setup in my 97 2.3L Ranger. What a mistake that was. This last summer it got up to 112 degrees a few days here in Texas. My Ranger ran terrible. It felt like I was towing a 20 foot ski boat. Bottom line, FIPK setups bring in hot engine compartment air. Not cool air from the fender well. Granted, on cool mornings, the increased power was great. But hot air means less HP. I would go with the Velocity tube with the K&N filter in your stock filter box.

Quick Reply: Which FIPK?