anatomy of an engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2000, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post anatomy of an engine failure

for everyones info. decided to give an outline of my 4.6 99 model failure at 29,000 miles so you can be aware of signs. At 6k i had a tapping at cold start that would go away after 1 or 2 seconds intermittently. I attributed this to oil flow to upper valve area issues that were characteristic of our trucks after reading this board. I started the truck and it blew blue smoke and missed for 5 to 10 seconds on two occasions. trips to dealership could not replicate either problem, no codes. at 15k, started pinging, steadily got worse. premium gas helped a little, but would never elimate. after 4 trips on the pinging, maf replacement, decarboning, ect. still pinging at start from a stop and up hills at around 1500 rpm. dealer decides its a knock, not a ping, states new engine ordered. 3 days later, I get in the truck, it misses from the get-go. Eventually, it shudders, barely able to accelerate. drove to dealership, shuddering and lurching, now they have it until new eng. comes in and Im driving the wonderful dodge stratus as a rental (at thier expense, of course.) moral of story: pinging may be knocking. dont dally on getting to the dealership, dont assume it will go away, dont accept crappy excuses for the ping. document, document, document. mine is a ROMEO 4.6, not a windsor, either.
Not sure about keeping this heap. kind of upsetting, as I love the way the truck rides and looks, but the reliability has been a problem for me. Good luck to all of you with pinging, and remember, a ping just might be a knock!!!

Quick Reply: anatomy of an engine failure