Engine Oil Cooler

Old 02-14-2002, 07:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Oil Cooler

Hi Guys Do you have this oil cooler?

Recently posted on Tow/Haul Bd...Tmeyers re: aux. oil cooler..

Fords engine oil cooler is cooled by water...connected to lower rad. hose.

I havent seen one...I do not have this on my 99SC/with factory tow package. Did i get shorted, or maybe this became standard OEM after 99? Or is this an upgrade?

The going saga with Ford and these Triton engines....

How many have it? And how would you compare this type water oil cooler... to the one that is connected(with o.f. adaptor)with 2 hoses going to cooler up front..not same but similiar to a.tranny cooler.

Appreciate opinions...think i might need it..i do tow..

Good luck...OT

Old 02-14-2002, 11:53 PM
My '99 with tow had it. My '01 ORP non-tow doesn't.

They only put it on the 5.4L engines. My '97 4.6L with tow didn't have it.

I THINK they still put it on the new 5.4L powered trucks with tow, don't they?

Old 02-15-2002, 01:29 PM
Hi Dennis

Tks. for reply....I think you might be right....oil cooler only on the 5.4

Rereading the T/H bd. MM posted....apparently that was for the 5.4L

Anyhow...i either gotta make some upgrades to my 4.6L...may have to make a ride change but upgrades will be ALOT cheaper. Hopefully this engine holds up, the tranny sure didnt. I had truck way before i got TT....thats the way it goes.

Anyhow for those that have it on the 5.4L...thats great...so hey
FORD, I know you read this bd. Why didnt you put oil cooler on the 99 4.6L 250LD with a GVWR of 7200#?????

If so, why just the 5.4L...and forget 4.6L, interesting eh! Then with 5/20 oil...man times are a changin! But for who?

Good luck....OT

Old 02-15-2002, 04:34 PM
I often wondered about why no oil cooler on the 4.6L. When I got the '97, I started to read about the oil cooler and realized my truck didn't have it. Felt a bit gyped... Then I started hearing about all the problems with the 5.4L engines and I felt pretty good that I got the 4.6L

Old 02-15-2002, 05:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Originally posted by Dennis
... Then I started hearing about all the problems with the 5.4L engines and I felt pretty good that I got the 4.6L
That's what I was thinking about the 4.6L when I got the 5.4L

It's all a "crap shoot" anyway with any vehicle you get. Some get the good ones, others get the bad ones.........

Sounds like you got a good 4.6 and I got a good 5.4 (knock wood).

Old 02-15-2002, 08:09 PM
I'll say. That '97 was a wonderful truck. The present owners love it. Still no door cracks either! There were three reasons why I replaced it with the '99. The inside door handle was moved higher, the fourth door, and 4 wheel disc brakes. Otherwise, I probably would have kept it until last year when I went with the SuperCrew.

Old 02-16-2002, 01:09 AM
THose oil cooler plates are all over Ebay and such used from the Mustang SVOs, SP mustangs and Thunderbirds.

I got one for the stang for the OT days this summer from a Tbird SC. It has some tabs there were there to keep you from running the PH16 size filter (shorter PH8). Instead the stock was the 3600 thin small one. Cut the tabs and bam! Then tie in after the heatercore before the H2O pump and done. Pretty easy install, just took a bit to bleed the air out of the extra hoses.

Anyway, if you want on and have room, Ebay you can find one.

But personally I would be pissed about the lack of the remote oil filter. I have one on my 97 stock and boy is that thing nice! 10 minutes I can change the oil and filter. One hour on CJs 97 w/o that remote system. That was a bad bean counter move personally!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Oil Cooler