Coolant Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Change

It's almost time for a coolant change according to my manual.
Was wondering what's the best way to do it.
It's the 4.6L engine.

Old 02-13-2002, 06:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Maybe not the best, but it’s what I do…..

1. Drain rad. Fill with water. Start engine, wait for the ‘stat to just open (top rad hose will get hot), wait like 30 seconds, shut off engine.

2. Drain rad. Repeat step 1 until just clean water drains out.

3. Drain rad. Add your choice of rad flush stuff. Top off with water. Run engine for the required amount of time for the flush. Repeat steps 1 and 2.

4. Drain rad, fill with Antifreeze of your choice. Should take two full gallons. Run engine until hot. Keep an eye on the level for the next few days, add 50/50 mix if needed. You’ll get a 50/50 mix because the system will hold about two gallons of water, and you’ve added two gallons of antifreeze.

Some will remove the plug on the block to drain it, but you can only get to the drivers side, because the pass side is not accessible or something like that. Still others will use distilled water. That’s all fine and all, but I just choose not to go that route.

Last edited by MitchF150; 02-13-2002 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-13-2002, 08:53 PM
Take it in !

Just had mine done. Doesn't cost a fortune to do a coolant flush. This garage has a machine that cycles and cleans it all out, then puts fresh back in.

Besides, don't waste a whole day off to work on your antifreeze! Not worth it.

Old 02-13-2002, 09:35 PM
Coolant Change

Thanks guys, one more question. You can only dump the water/coolant into the reserve tank right? Does it actually fill the whole rad from dumping it in there?

Old 02-14-2002, 10:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Used the MitchF150 method

on my '97 F150 4.6l and it works just ****! Maybe I'm from the old school, but why pay someone for something so simple, and when you do it yourself, at least you know it was done right! The shops will charge you double the price for the antifreeze, and probably not take the time to get all the old stuff drained out. And for sure, do the rad flush routine to clean out the crud.

The only real proble I had was catching the antifreeze in something w/o spilling it all over. Make sure if you have pets, and you spill this stuff, that you keep the animals away from it til you get it cleaned up, as the antifreeze is very sweet and attractive to animals, but also VERY TOXIC!

Old 02-14-2002, 01:17 PM
I do this:

1)Drain radiator and open engine block drain if applicable

2)Fill radiator with water, run truck till stat opens.

3)Drain again.

4)Fill with coolant/water mix

5)Run truck, shove a cv boot onto the filler neck to allow for expansion without making a mess

6)When truck heats up and fans click on shut the truck off but leave the key on so the fans run.

7)As the fans cool the radiator the fluid will be sucked down, top it off.

8)Fill resevoir to slightly over the full mark in case you didn't get all the air out.

I also like to replace my radiator cap when i flush the coolant. Replacing it once a year may be overkill, but for the $4 it cost it can prevent a lot of problems.

-Jon

Old 02-14-2002, 03:09 PM
Here's how I flush the cooling system:

1) take radiator cap off open valve on botttom of radiator and wait for old coolant to drain.

2) close valve and put radiator cap back on

3) remove the flange that holds top radiator hose to engine block

4) remove themostat from inside flange

5) put garden hose into the engine block and turn hose on, when clean water start coming out of top radiator hose, put the garden hose into the radiator hose and wait for clean water to come out of the engine block

6) repeat step 5 a couple of times

7) clean old gasket off of flange and block

8) put thermostat back into the flange (*important*) facing correct direction, put new gasket on, and reattach the flange to the block (thermostat can be replaced during this step if so desired)

9) remove bottom radiator hose, wait for water to drain out of system, and reattach hose

10) remove radiator cap and refill radiator with coolant/water mix

11) turn engine on and wait for thermostat to open (fuid disapears from top of radiator), continue pouring in coolant/water mix until the engine won't take anymore.

12) turn off engine and fill overflow with mix to the full mark

this method may be a little more work, but the entire cooling system is flushed; and the thermostat on Fords are notorius for having to be replaced. If you are flushing yearly I wouldn't bother with this method, but about the only time I flush the cooling system is when the thermostat needs replaced, or if it hasn't been done for at least 5 years.

Quick Reply: Coolant Change