Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 10-11-2000, 11:56 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
Post 4.6L Oil Capacity

I have a question on 4.6L oil capacity. My manual says 6 quarts, but it actually takes 7.5 to hit the full mark. My truck is a 97 XLT SC with package # 3 (Tow Package) Can anyone give me any ideas on this issue?

Thanks
Old 10-11-2000, 02:03 PM
Garage is empty, add now

'97 F150 Lariat took 6 quarts to bring it up to mid range on the stick. Topping it off may cause more harm than good. Six quarts is easy, no leftovers.
Old 10-12-2000, 12:09 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Lightbulb

Welcome!
Go here. http://www.f150online.com/f150board/...ML/002512.html

That may get ya more confused though! Click the image to open in full size.

------------------
'97 F-150 Lariat Ext. Cab 4X4
  • White/Silver, 4.6L, Auto.
  • Tinted Windows/Bedmat/Toolbox/Lund Bug Deflector
  • 265/75/16 BFGoodrich on polished 16x8 AR-136's
  • Cat-back Dual Exhaust
  • Polar Bear Grille Guard
Old 10-12-2000, 12:43 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2002 FORD F150
Wink

JBRIII....never fill the oil up to the full line, doing this has been known to blow seals due to the excessive amount of oil.

Just put in 6 quarts of your favorite oil, this should bring your level up to about the half way mark or a bit lower, level does not have to be exact...but a bit above the add line foresure!!!. Change your oil and filter every 4000KM or less and your motor will last you forever...Clean oil is the secret to any motor!!!

DO NOT OVER FILL ANY ENGINE WITH OIL...6 quarts of happiness awaits you!
Old 10-12-2000, 12:44 AM
Garage is empty, add now

JB,

6 quarts is 6 quarts regardless of what the stick says. The stick could be short, the tube could be long and the last thing you want to do is overfill and cause foaming in the engine.

I would drop in 6 quarts, run the engine, check the oil level a couple of hours later and use that mark on the dipstick as the "normal" benchmark. Also, I believe the oil does not have to be on the full mark, just within the "shaded" area to be considered "full"

------------------
2001 F-150XLT SuperCab, Silver, 4X4, AOD, 5.4L, 3.55LS, 17in Rubber, Sport Package, Bedliner, Sliding Rear Window and A partridge in a pear tree...

Old 10-12-2000, 12:45 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks for the info. Of course I did a search AFTER I posted. A lot of conversation on this issue. I'll check it prior to posting next time.

Thanks for educating a newbie.
Old 10-13-2000, 11:52 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Changed the oil yesterday and put in 6 quarts. Mid range on the stick. Someone had written 7 1/2 qts. on the plastic radiator cover. Assumed it must have had an oild cooler or something. Goes to show what happens when you ASS.U.ME.
Old 10-13-2000, 01:39 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Here's something to make it a little fuzzier:
When you take your truck (for those who don't do their own maintenance)to the dealership or those quick lube shops they generally let the oil drain for a few minutes (2 or 3)to get the bulk of the oil out. I measured the amount of oil drained out of my truck from
the end of the 3 minutes until the oil was completely drained (I had alot of time on my hands!) and it came to .5 qt. Those that take it to the lube shops have another 6 quarts put in so they are running with 6.5 quarts. Do you think Ford takes this into account that most people don't maintenace their own vehicle when they list 6.0 quarts in the user manual, therefore 1/2 quart is still in the engine? If that's the case....I should put 6.5 quarts in my truck because I let it COMPLETELY drain. What do you think?

[This message has been edited by DFolk88 (edited 10-13-2000).]
Old 10-13-2000, 02:18 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Talking

Hadn't thought about that! Good point. Anyone have any comments?
Old 10-13-2000, 02:18 PM