Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 12-26-2001, 05:25 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford E350
5.4 Triton (spark plug blown out of cyl head)

I have a 1999 E350 cube van that has blown a spark plug from the cyl head with apx 48,000 on it.

My question is, has anyone else had or know of any more concerns of this nature.

Thank you,

Terry McNeil
Old 12-26-2001, 07:20 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 FORD F150
Several Lightnings(5.4L) have had plugs that blew out. Others have found the plugs little more than finger tight.

When you go to change them, remember to not over tighten them as there are only 4 or 5 threads to hold them in the aluminum head. On the Ls, you can't get a torque wrench(13 ft. lbs.) on several plugs so NGK says to tightne them "finger-tight" and then 1/16th of a turn more--careful!

Dan

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."

Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
Old 12-26-2001, 09:59 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F150
i have seen this alot. and from what i understand. the head can not be fixed. to last any time. install new head. is the fix i have seen. alot of the early 5.4's had this concern. the newer one's are ok. not sure about the 4.6.
Old 12-27-2001, 08:47 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 Ford Expedition
I had this happen on my expedition with 38,000 miles on it. I was at idle when it broke a chunk off the head. Like to never got it to the dealer. They were pretty amazed, they had never seen it before.
Old 12-27-2001, 08:47 AM