Sweged in tube on 4.6 intake - leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sweged in tube on 4.6 intake - leak

I'm sure there are postings on this somewhere, but didn't know a keyword to use for a search. Anyway, a friend has a '99 with a 4.6/E4OD, and 106,000 miles. He just got the truck out of the Ford dealer after having the intake manifold replaced due to a sweged-in pipe rusting out, causing a coolant leak. This cost around $600. He also had a freeze plug replaced (that started leaking when he picked up the truck after the manifold replacement), another $187.

Has anybody had these pipe leaks, and what pipe is it? Is it a water pump return, or throttle body- or heater core-related? Supposedly there are two pipes, one screwed in and one sweged in. The sweged-in idea sounds idiotic, having to replace the manifold for that.

He also said the cooling system is unpressurized. Is that true? His theory is that the freeze plugs in the heads and the sweged-in pipe are dry when the engine is shut off (no coolant behind them), and exposed to air and rust. I find that hard to believe.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm not that familiar with the Triton or modular V8s. I'm used to the 302s (mine's a '95).

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Sweged in tube on 4.6 intake - leak