What is the idea behind a K&N Air Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2001, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the idea behind a K&N Air Filter?

Is it performance or protection? It seems to me that a filter of the same size that increases air flow to the engine is letting in more small particles of dirt in exchange for increased air flow. Maybe I am from the old school but hosing off a filter with a garden hose and then spraying sticky material on it sounds kind of un-nerving.

Old 12-25-2001, 03:25 PM
Both. Once it's been in use awhile, it does a great job at filtering.

I've had concerns about using a K&N filter because of the possibility of dust particles getting past it but as long as it's oiled properly and not used in dusty condition right away there's nothing to worry about.

My intake tube is definately dust free so I know it's been doing it's job.

When you take a look at the stock filter, you can't even see through it. It is definately restrictive compaired to a K&N. The stock filter sucks I actaully had a base model Cavalier beat me off the line on to a highway before I installed the K&N because my engine ran out of breath at WOT. It was pitiful and embarrassing.

The K&N doesn't improve the engines perfomance noticably unless you're at WOT but you can definately feel a difference between stock and the K&N at 3,000 RPM's and above. That along with the ability to use it for years is why I have one. I didn't get any increase in gas milage from mine but the performance is worth it.

As far as cleaning the filter goes: you just need to follow the instructions, don't over oil it and give it time to dry before reinstalling it. I don't remember reading about using a garden hose to clean it though

Last edited by AjRagno; 12-25-2001 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-25-2001, 03:26 PM
Hi There Rick99 ...

You should spend some time doing some research at http://www.knfilters.com/default.htm In fact, everyone who owns a new vehicle should understand all the advantages that a non-restrictive air filtration system has to offer.

1. Surgical guaze impregnated with a sticky oil is pressed between two layers of fine screen wire not only provides the best known air filtration system for gas engines, but it will outlast your cheap paper air filter by 250 times or more. (Replacement over a million miles.)

2. It's so effective that, under most normal conditions, you can let it go for 25,000 miles before cleaning it. (Try that with your cheap OEM paper air filter!) Then you simply clean the filter and replace the sticky oil for another 25,000 miles.

3. Eighty percent of the dirt that enters your engine comes right through the air filter. K&N air filters allows massive amounts of air to flow through it easily, but at the same time it removes dirt particals down to a few microns in size!! In other words, it removes a lot smaller particles than your average paper element will filter. That's important to know.

4. The K&N-style, or non-restrictive air filter system allows your engine to "gulp" all the air it needs, even when the filter is dirty. Whereas, your OEM paper air filter will plug up (under dusty conditions) in just a few thousand miles. Once the paper filter is plugged up....it is like sucking air through a tiny straw for your engine to breath. Of course, a plugged up air filter drastically reduces performance and gas mileage.

5. It's guaranteed for the life of your vehicle. Just clean and re-oil it every 25,000 miles. (If you are from the old school as I am, you can clean it more often, but it really isn't necessary.)

6. The one-time cost of the K&N-style Air Filter is just a drop in the bucket when you consider the cost of replacing cheap paper air filters dozens of times over the next 200 thousand miles. Put a pencil to it and you'll be amazed at the cost savings.

7. You will immediately notice a difference in performance and gas mileage after switching to a non-restrictive air filtration system such as the K&N. There are several brands on the market and they are all excellent.

IMHO, you really need to install a tuned or cat-back exhaust system at the same time to really see an improvement in both performance and gas mileage. In other words, it doesn't do much good to "gulp" more air if you can't "blow" it out the other end just as easily. Get my drift?

Hope this has helped you.

BillVoyles
RedLowRyder

Last edited by Bill Voyles; 12-25-2001 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-25-2001, 04:14 PM
I'm not the performance mod type but if the K&N is actually a more effective dirt stopper and can add a few HP, I'll try it. I have a 2000 5.4L F150 supercab.......260 HP is good enough but if I notice a difference that'll be the best 50 bucks I spent recently. The most important aspect to me is engine protection because my truck sure as Hell isn't down on power.

Old 12-25-2001, 04:44 PM
Thumbs up Merry Christmas...

Rick99 --

AjRagno and Bill Voyles really said it all. Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

I bought a K&N because a good friend told me I needed it. Since then, here are some things I have learned.

-- A stock paper filter does not give your engine all the air it needs. At least not after it gets dirty. A paper filter can be down to as low as 30% of its original air flow capacity after 15,000 miles.

-- After 50,000 miles an uncleaned K&N will still provide at least 90% of the air flow that you get from a new paper filter.

Like Bill, I plan to clean mine more often than the recommended 25,000 miles. My point is that with a K&N your truck's engine should NEVER lack for clean air.

A man and his truck...It's a beautiful thing!

Old 12-26-2001, 01:55 AM
One More Thing Rick....

I feel obliged to warn you that there is a difference in K&N-Style air filters. As far as our F150 trucks are concerned, there are two types. They are both the cone style but one is the OEM replacement part, and the other is designed for high performance.

The conical style simply replaces the cone filter in your OEM enclosure. It's just that simple. It provides all the air your engine requires for everyday use. At the same time, it provides your engine the best protection money can buy.

The high-performance version does away completely with your air filter enclosure, the flex-tube to your throttle body and it has a much larger conical filter for even higher air flow performance. This is the ultimate in air filtration and it incorporates a baffle that corners cool air coming in around your grill. It works like this: Warmer air means average performance ... cooler air means better performance. So, you're beginning to see the advantages of having the "Generation II" air filter over the OEM drop-in version. Opppps! I forgot to mention one last thing. While the OEM drop-in costs about $49 ... the Generation II version costs more like $199. There's always a catch somewhere.

Hope this has helped you.

BillVoyles
RedLowRyder

Old 12-27-2001, 08:42 AM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Generation II and it came with no baffle. The fact that for the F-150 there is no baffle has been a debate in this message board for some time (colder air in OEM intake vs. warmer air in the Generation II). Is this something new for the generation II and if so, how can I get one?

Old 12-27-2001, 07:28 PM
Howdy ALL,

Here is a thread from the past - The pictures say it all.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...t=K%26N+Filter

Old 12-27-2001, 11:15 PM
I've sat silently and read this topic over and over, Well no more! K&N's flow more air, Yes, They are not as effective at removing smaller particles from the air. Before all you loyal K&N guys go for your guns, go to the K&N webpagehttp://www.knfilters.com/facts.htm#PAPER, and read the SAE tests that they use. Then go read the actual testing data from SAE. There are 2 tests, the J726C and J726F, F is fine and C is for course matter, however they don't say that on their website either, only refering to the J726 test. It is the C test that they use.

You'll notice that they use the large particulate test"C", while testing the efficiency of their filter, lets see this test done with small particles the "F". HUMMM....... I wonder why they don't show that test?!

Just because you don't see a build up of dirt behind the filter doesn't mean it is stopping crap from entering, it merely means its not sticking to anything in your intake track. Thats the biggest laugh yet. Damage is done by particles from 3 to 10 microns in size.

Yes, I use one on my Blown Mustang, if I was worried about longevity, I'd never put a blower on it, and it gets frequent oil changes because of all the things that get into the oil from using forced induction.

But for a street truck, the 3 or 4 extra HP you get, for letting your motor suck in potentially bad air isn't worth it IMHO! I'd rather replace my paper element over and over and give my trucks engine the cleanest air possible.

Last edited by jstang; 12-27-2001 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-28-2001, 12:16 PM
Two Completely Opposing ... But Interesting Points Of View....

Jstang, you just threw a wrench in our wheel. And you did it very convincingly too, I might add. Some interesting things to think about on both sides of the fence. A subject which interests all of us. If I understand you correctly, you use a K&N Air Filter but just aren't as convinced as the rest of us about it's capability to stop the fine media?

Lone Wolf's interesting 'Thread from the Past...' contained some really interesting reading. Lots of actual facts and figures that are convincing...on both sides. Hmmmmm?!!

OK, I have a question for you of a slightly different color. I'm using a drop-in K&N filter, but I noticed that after a fresh oil change (with a professional flush between changes), I noticed that the color of my oil turns from a clear gold color, to a darker brownish color. Now, I didn't really expect my oil to stay that pretty, clean gold color, but I do wonder what is causing the discoloration of the oil after only a few hundred miles? Is this dirt that has been inhaled through my new K&N Air Filter? Or, is it something else? Can someone give us a definitive answer on this color change?

BillVoyles
RedLowRyder

Old 12-28-2001, 12:27 PM
Do new K&N air filters come pre oiled??

Old 12-28-2001, 12:33 PM
the objective of a K&N filter is to separate you from your money for virtually no benefit. and it's the 20 micron particles that you can't see entering your engine that cause the wear.

Old 12-28-2001, 12:39 PM
Bill,
Your oil gets discolored by several things. First, by-products of the burned fuel will get past the rings into the oil. Secondly, there are lots of moving parts rubbing against one another in your engine - as those parts wear, fine particles will get suspended in the oil. Also, heating of the oil may cause it to permanently discolor.

Sagitarrius - yes, they come pre-oiled.

Old 12-29-2001, 03:38 PM
Regarding oil color...

This is a tad off topic, but years ago I had a Frantz oil filter on my car. It used a roll of toilet paper as a filter. They advertised that you would never need to change your oil. Well, that toilet paper kept the oil as clean looking as the day it came out of the can. The oil never discolored. However we found that it did not filter out liquid contaminants like water and gasoline that got in the oil. So, alas, we still had to change the oil. Later I installed one as a fuel filter and it was probably the best fuel filter ever.

Sorry for the digression...back to K&N...

Old 12-31-2001, 01:03 AM
WLF
If you don't think the filter works, then don't use it!!! I have 106,000 miles on my engine and it runs circles around most trucks in my class. If my oil didn't change color then I would get another oil because it is SUPPOSE to collect the contaminents. I have had my k&n since about 40,000 miles or so and plan to keep it for at least another 960,000 miles (or so they say).

Quick Reply: What is the idea behind a K&N Air Filter?