30 Fuel Economy Tips ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 30 Fuel Economy Tips ...

Lots of people have asked how they can get better gas mileage. The first thirteen tips are quotes right out of the owner's manual. Most of them are obvious.

Below those tips are seventeen more fuel-saving ideas that aren't so obvious. If you have anything to add to this thread, please enlighten us!

Right Out Of the Owner's Manual:
1. Keep Tires inflated properly and use the correct size.
2. Operating the vehicle with the wheels out of alignment will reduce fuel economy.
3. Use recommended engine and transmission oils.
4. Perform all regularly sceduled maintenance items. (Wheel bearings that are out of adjustment, or not lubed properly, can reduce fuel economy.)
5. Adding certain accessories, such as bug deflectors, rollover/light bars, running boards, ski/luggage racks may reduce fuel economy.
6. To maximize fuel economy, drive with the soft tonneau installed. (See below)
7. Use of fuel blended with alcohol may lower fuel economy.
8. Fuel economy will be lower during the first 8 to 10 minutes of operation during cold weather.
9. Flat terrain driving inproves fuel economy over hilly terrain.
10. Transmissions give their best fuel economy when operatied in the top cruise gear and with steady pressure on the gas pedal.
11. Four-Wheel Drive vehicles operation is less fuel effecient than two-wheel operation.
12. Close windows for high speed driving (for improved fuel economy).
13. Warming up the vehicle on cold mornings is not required and costs you fuel economy.

17 More Controversial Fuel Economy Tips:
1. Replace your mechanical fan, which takes 5 to 7 horsepower, with an effecient electric fan that will use only 1-1/2 hp and come on only when the engine needs cooling. This will increase fuel economy enough to pay for the fan in just a few fillups.

2. Reduce wind resistance by replacing those giant "Elephant Ear" mirrors with smaller, color-matched mirrors that are much more aero-dynamic and better looking. Slim and trim is the name of the game.

3. For those of you who like the "lowered" race truck look, there is a lot to be said for a functional air dam on the front, and side skirting, to prevent "dirty air" from getting under your truck. At higher speeds, the less turbulance that can crawl under your truck, the better. Turbulence creates drag, which holds you back, and more horsepower is required to maintain higher speeds. Take a closer look at race cars. Ground effects can actually"suck" a vehicle down to the ground and provide more traction. So, you might consider ground effects as an option, not just for better performance and fuel economy, but for the great looks as well.

4. Install a hard fiberglass lid over your bed to stop the turbulence created like "dragging a parachute" around behind your cab. Wind Tunnel Tests show it will pay for itself in the first 7,000 gallons or about 132,000 miles. (A good sales tool for selling your wife on installing a new $700 lid.)

5. Install a new, non-restrictive air filter system.

6. Replace your restrictive exhaust with an effecient cat-back exhaust system.

7. Replace your 4.11. 3.73, 3.55 or other low rear-end ratios with a taller ratio. Maybe even a 3.08 rear end ratio. They aren't that expensive out of a salvage yard.

8. Use 70 or 75 series high-mileage tires instead of 45, 50 or 60 series soft rubber, wide tires. (Wide tires look awesome but cost you fuel economy.)

9. Install torsion arrestor bars on your rear axle to eliminate axle-hop. It goes without saying that a good set of shocks and well balanced tires will help to keep your rear tires on the ground. Gas mileage, traction and stopping are all restricted by tires hopping off of the ground 50% of the time.

10. I Inflate tires about 4 pounds more than recommended during dry pavement driving conditions. I noticed an immediate difference in gas mileage due to reduced rolling resistance. However, you have to be careful with this tip: Do not over-inflate tires under snow or ice conditions. Instead, I reduce my tire pressure as much as 6 lbs. during ice or snow conditions for better traction. Both methods work.

11. Turn off unnecessary equipment when possible, such as air conditioning.

12. Remove all the sprung weight you can, such as 5th wheel hitches, large, heavy tool boxes, headache racks, canopies and other loads when you aren't using them. Hauling them around costs you fuel economy.

13. Don't just keep your lead foot off of the gas pedal. Learn to "feather" the gas pedal to maintain a balance between speed and fuel economy, both up down and hills, as well as out on the flat! It's easier on the truck and will increase your fuel economy.

14. Don't race-horse between stop lights. This method of driving not only uses a lot of gas, but quickly wears out brakes and drivetrain. Instead, try to drive at a speed that allows you to pass through districts of multiple traffic lights without stopping. It can be done a high percentage of the time, once you catch on to the timing of the lights. And it fits right into "defensive driving" techniques.

15. Don't rest your foot on the brake pedal. Or worse yet, don't get in the habit of braking with the left foot and gasing with the right foot. It's a bad habit. It wears out the brakes, engine and transmission prematurely and drastically reduces gas mileage. Think about it!

16. Some people claim that using Synthetic Lubricants in the Engine, Transmission and Differential will reduce rolling resistance through less friction. The difference may be small but it adds up over 250,000 miles.

17. Finally, buy the best 87 octane fuel you can find. Not the cheapest. Many small gas distributors will buy/sell whatever they can get based on price, not quality. Your larger Brand Name suppliers can't afford this practice in most cases. You come out the winner with less fuel-related problems and better fuel economy. Remember, you get 5%less gas mileage running 10% Ethanol Gas. Where's the savings?

BillVoyles
RedLowRyder

Old 12-16-2001, 10:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Good tips -- THANKS!

Old 12-17-2001, 07:07 AM
Jeeezzzz... Nice post but you left me feeling like you took all the fun out of driving... All that to save how much? If you take an extreme case, like someone with all those problems, what exactly should one expect? Perhaps doubling their fuel economy?

I think the biggest things people should consider are tires (pressure, size, alignment) and maintenance... For the norm anyway...

I tend to disagree with the air filter thing. I only know of a couple aftermarket filters that claim to give more air and if an OE filter is clean it should produce the same MPG. More air also means more fuel, right?

Tooooooooo many variables to say a cat-back would do anything for anyone... It might for one and not for another... A TUNED exhaust is what you really want! Something that promotes a scavenging effect. Less restriction does not always mean better fuel economy.

Thanks though... If one person learns something then the long post was well worth it!

Old 12-17-2001, 08:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

No problems with this one in South TX,,,,,98

9. Flat terrain driving inproves fuel economy over hilly terrain.

Old 12-17-2001, 03:47 PM
#18 Trade your gas hog V-8 truck for a fuel effecient VW Jetta TDI.

Best mpg so far is 57 mpg!!!!!

When I drive like a bat out of hell I still get 45-47.

Old 12-17-2001, 04:56 PM
Anyone that talks about mileage like that on a truck site should be whipped. If it wasn't for the interior space, I might envy you.

Old 12-18-2001, 04:15 AM
Got to agree but I'll keep my big mirrors I like to see whats around me. Waiting for amsoil to release foam air filter for my truck, they do work gotten increase of 2-5mpg on other vehicles

Old 12-18-2001, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Thad
Anyone that talks about mileage like that on a truck site should be whipped. If it wasn't for the interior space, I might envy you.
I really only use my truck for the purpose that it was intended. Therefore I really don't worry about mileage too much.

For everyday drive I either use the Jetta or my Motorycycle. Both which are capable of getting over 50 mpg.

Though I do say that I don't think I could live without a full size pickup anymore. I used to drive a Ranger, but now that would be a waste!!!

Give me that new Diesel F150 that is comming. Oh boy. Can we say 25+ mpg!! I would bet that you could probably break 30 mpg with it.

since I know several folks with F250's that can get 25mpg.

Old 12-18-2001, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by kcsd250
Got to agree but I'll keep my big mirrors I like to see whats around me. Waiting for amsoil to release foam air filter for my truck, they do work gotten increase of 2-5mpg on other vehicles
If you are waiting for the conical style filter, don't hold your breath they have no plans to make these style filters.

Also don't look for that large of a mileage improvement. I went to K&N and didn't see any improvement. So I went back to paper because of the better filtration capabilities.

Old 12-20-2001, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by msparks

I really only use my truck for the purpose that it was intended. Therefore I really don't worry about mileage too much.

For everyday drive I either use the Jetta or my Motorycycle. Both which are capable of getting over 50 mpg.

Though I do say that I don't think I could live without a full size pickup anymore. I used to drive a Ranger, but now that would be a waste!!!

Give me that new Diesel F150 that is comming. Oh boy. Can we say 25+ mpg!! I would bet that you could probably break 30 mpg with it.

since I know several folks with F250's that can get 25mpg.
God Im glad to know that Im not the only one that gets 23-24 MPG on while driving normally out of my PSD F250!! Youd have to see another thread to understand that.....

Old 12-20-2001, 09:38 AM
Bill:

I agree(and have practised) with most of your 'tips'. I do disagree with no. 15--the latter half. Left-foot braking does none of those negative things. I have been doing this for 30+ yrs. I did it even with my 5-speed Z281LE(at least when at a driver's school at Road Atlanta). IMHO, it's the only way to drive with an automatic. Of course, I don't use the brake and the gas pedal togeather(except when launching my L at the staging line--1/4 mile track). It justs makes sense to divide the work between your two legs--it also allows you to drive smoother(good for gas mileage)--you can change from throttle to braking with no lurching or sudden throttle closings(think of the 'time'[and how your truck reacts to induced movement] needed to move your right foot/leg back and forth many times per trip--2 is better than one). Doing this(properly) will not wear those items mentioned prematurely, in fact, it will allow them to last longer--won't bore you with the mileage on my vehicles over the years--and never wearing out a trans. or warping a rotor, etc. It's also safer--your reaction to an unexpected braking situation will be quicker.

Sorry for the 'rant'(did you get the idea that this is a pet peeve of mine?LOL)

Dan

Old 12-20-2001, 12:39 PM
Thanks For The Reply Dan...

You are obviously an experienced driver and you make an interesting point about driving with both feet. I can see your point ... and everything you say is true, a person could drive using both feet very effectively without abusing the brakes or drivetrain. Of course, most people who use this method (my daughter included) find that they are replacing their brakes and rotors about twice a year. And I won't go into how much unnecessary wear she put on her transmission. Of course, she drives a Jetta and gets great gas mileage in spite of resting her left foot on the brake all the time.

Of course, you can't tell truck drivers that is a good practice. If they catch you riding the clutch or brake they'll fire you. On the other hand I have driven a 5-speed Porsche using the "heel-and-toe" method of synchronizing the gearbox with the engine and braking at the same time. So, rules are made to be broken.

If a person gets really profecient at driving with both feet, I can see where they might be a few milliseconds quicker at applying the brakes in an emergency stop. But, there is a slender line between being "qucik on the brakes" and "riding the brakes".

You're right...it is possible to drive with both feet without all the side effects, but IMHO most people who use that method of driving, are simply wearing out their vehicle faster than necessary.

BillVoyles
RedLowRyder

Old 12-20-2001, 12:56 PM
The license plate frame on my fathers '48 Fattie reads
"There is more to life then gas mileage".

If I want a high mileage car, I would by a TDI.

Old 12-20-2001, 01:04 PM
I'd like to add my 2 cents also. How many times have you driven down the road and get behind some joker that drives with one foot on the gas the other on the brake, and you cussed them out (either under your breath or verbally) because you don't know whether they are going or stopping! Also, because they are riding the brake and the damn light has been on for the last 150 miles, you don't know when they have to stop for real because the brake light has never gone out. While I'm on the soap box ... They fall into the same category as the joker that turns on a blinker to change lanes, then figures that since they are going to be turning the same direction again 100 or so miles down the road, they may as well leave the blinker on .. saves wear and tear on the switch.

Please, if you feel you really need to brake with your left foot, do everyone a big favor, and keep your !@#$ foot off the brake pedal until you actually need to apply the brakes. The drivers behind you will thank you, your brakes will thank you, your drive train will thank you, and your anti-lock system will bow down and kiss your feet.

Old 12-20-2001, 01:24 PM
Talking

I agree...some good tips. With one exception though...#3 on the second list. Perhaps a lowered truck will get better mpg but ground effects will not have any positive effect on economy and I would think that it actually may reduce it. The fastest that any of us should be driving is 75 mph on a day to day basis. I usually dont get above 65. At those speeds its not going to do much good. An air damn for example is just increasing the frontal surface area creating more drag, the air has to be pushed around it instead of just going under the truck. Kind of falls into the same area as #5 in the first list.

IMO...ground effects are too ricey, and saying that they will help fuel economy is like saying that those wings on ricers help them go faster and get better mpg. Just my .02!

Quick Reply: 30 Fuel Economy Tips ...