new bosch plat 4 spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2000, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post new bosch plat 4 spark plugs

am thinking about installing the new bosch platinum 4 spark plugs. has anyone tried/used/using them? thanks. 97 RCFS, k&n filtercharger, Airaid Poweraid, holley plug wires, free flowing cats, magna flow, center line cobras w/GY GTII 275/60/R17 tires. ooops almost forgot XLT dark toreador red/cordovan interior w/capt's chairs. ooops again 5spd w/3.08 19mpg. Amsoil everywhere including PI gas treatment.

Old 05-06-2000, 02:23 AM
I put them in my truck, ran better afterwards. I believe I had about 60,000 on it when I did it.

Old 05-06-2000, 02:23 AM
I put them in my truck, ran better afterwards. I believe I had about 60,000 on it when I did it.
Sorry about the double post, hit back on my browser because I forgot my sig.
------------------
97 F-150 S/C 4x4 ORP XLT 4.6 K&N , Flowmaster w/dual tailpipes, Bosch+4 plugs,Ford 9mm wires,Superchip.Patriot fiberglass toneau cover, Westin chrome step bars. Rear seat lift 4".
Kenwood 4011 stereo, USAcoustics 2150 amp, Profile electronic 3 way crossover, 2 10" IDQ DVC's.

FUTURE STEREO MODS:
Memphis components in front, Pioneer 3ways in rear, amp for the components, and a cd changer.

FUTURE PERFORMANCE MODS:
4.10 gears, Edlebrock shocks, supercharger, Airaid, power pulleys.

OTHER FUTURE MODS:
Ram Air hood w/functional ram air, suspension lift, 16.5" polished wheels, 35" tires, and sunroof.

[This message has been edited by wolvrin704 (edited 05-06-2000).]

Old 05-06-2000, 07:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I recently installed them in my '97 4.6l and have had no problems whatsoever. The only "problem" is that the 4.6l and 5.4l engines have the worst plug access of any vehicle I've ever owned. So bad, in fact, that I changed them 2 at a time over the course of a month...took that long for my knuckles to stop bleeding and heal up!

I changed mine at 44,000 miles, about 3 mos after I purchased the truck. The original Ford plugs were clean as a whistle and the gap seemed within specs, but as long as they were such a clusterf#%^ to get at, I figured, why not replace them.

The truck seems to run smoother, but it may just be because Spring has finally sprung up here in Minnesota and the warmer weather may affect engine tractability.

Have fun changin' them plugs!

------------------

'97 F150 Supercab XLT; Pacific Green; 4.6l; B & M ShiftPlus; Bosch Plus4s; 3.55; ABS; 17" whls; Towing Package; Gibson dual exhaust; Waldoch Conversion (Custom Paint/graphics, powerslider rear window; walnut dash trim; overhead console; F'glass 'boards); ARE fiberglass bed cap; JVC Head unit & 12 disk changer; Prince compass/temp RV mirror; Anti-theft.

[This message has been edited by jaymz (edited 05-06-2000).]

Old 05-22-2000, 08:35 PM
Angry

I agree with jaymz! I bought the plugs and went to put them in today. I felt arround for about 5 min. and then shut the hood. It'll cost me but I'm going to take it to a mechanic and let them bust up thier knuckles! I'm not even going to try it!

------------------
1998 F150 XLT, extended cab 3 door,Pacific Green, towing package, 4.6L V8, 3.55 LS, Bosh Platinum +4 spark plugs ,Lund deflector, Profile Windstream side window air deflectors, Prostripe silver multistripe, K&N Air Filter, Diamond Plate Toolbox, Diamond Blue(HID) simulator Fog Lights , Whistler Radar Dectector, Uniden Police Scanner, 29WX-ST Cobra CB Radio, with a Texas Star 100watt modulator and a Wilson 2000 Trucker antenna. A Clarion Security System with Keyless Entry,
Audio Mods
Kenwood KDC-6011 CD player/changer control head unit.
JL 10" sub-woofer
Fultron "Depth Charge" amp 200w max.
4, TR570-CX JL Audio Coaxial Speakers (factory location)

Comming VERY soon are a pair of high output headlights (80watt low/ 100watt high)and a K&N FIPK!
Next will be a catback exhaust and a superchip.

Go see my truck and my Grandfather's truck at <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/1992" TARGET=_blank>

Http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/1992

</A>

Old 05-22-2000, 09:11 PM
I had some in my 4.0L ranger and did not like them. They did nothing for power or mileage. The truck started a bit faster and that was it. When I removed them, you can see which electrode the sparks travel to. Some was all 4, but 4 of the 6 were only traveling to 1 electrode. save your money for something else.

Oh, for the factory plugs, it is a good idea to change them upon delivery of a new rig. The last 3 fords we have purchased new, the plugs were gapped from 10-20 thousands off. No 2 were the same gap. Poor quality control there. It also cost 3 mpg like that. change them!

Old 05-23-2000, 12:43 AM
SO what is the bottom line do we get these things or not. I can get them from a friend for nothing but is it worth the headache to change them. Thanks

------------------
  • -1999 Ford F-150 Flareside ORP
  • -Deep Wedgewood Blue
  • -4.6 Liter automatic Tranny 3.55 LS rear
  • -Painted to match Lund Moon Visor
  • -Lund Interceptor Bug Guard (painted)
  • -Manik Grille Guard
  • -Soft Bed Cover
  • -Deflecta-Shield Rain Guards (painted)
  • -Delecta-Shield Slotted Tail Light Covers (painted)
  • -Yellow Under Car Strip Lights
  • -Tinted Windows (5% totally illegal)
  • -Pioneer 7200 CD flip face head unit
  • -Superwhite Bulbs (from Online Store)
  • -K&N Air Filter
  • -Air Box Silencer Removed
  • -In loving Memory Of Craig W. Menth Sr. Maltese Cross Fire Department Sticker
steveo@f150fanatic.com

Old 05-23-2000, 10:32 PM
Cool

I talked to my parts guy and my mechanic and got the same answer from both. They both said that they are superior to any other spark plug out there including the splitfire.
My parts guy told me that his father felt that they gave better pickup but I didn't see that. Mostly what I saw or heard and felt reather was a much smoother engine even at high rpm's. I only have 42,000 on my truck but the stock plugs were rusted on top and burnt at the electrode. They wouldn't have lasted much longer. My mechanic only charged me $44 labor which I thought was very reasonable given the amount of work that goes into changing those succers.

------------------
1998 F150 XLT, extended cab 3 door,Pacific Green, towing package, 4.6L V8, 3.55 LS, Bosh Platinum +4 spark plugs ,Lund deflector, Profile Windstream side window air deflectors, Prostripe silver multistripe, K&N Air Filter, Diamond Plate Toolbox, Diamond Blue(HID) simulator Fog Lights , Whistler Radar Dectector, Uniden Police Scanner, 29WX-ST Cobra CB Radio, with a Texas Star 100watt modulator and a Wilson 2000 Trucker antenna. A Clarion Security System with Keyless Entry,
Audio Mods
Kenwood KDC-6011 CD player/changer control head unit.
JL 10" sub-woofer
Fultron "Depth Charge" amp 200w max.
4, TR570-CX JL Audio Coaxial Speakers (factory location)

Installed as soon as I can chase down that big brown truck (UPS). are a pair of high output headlights (80watt low/ 100watt high)and a K&N FIPK!
Ordered and wating for my superchip.
True dual glasspacks in June.
Wish list:
Grill Guard
Chrome Rails
BFG Tires

Go see my truck and my Grandfather's truck at <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/1992" TARGET=_blank>

Http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/1992

</A>

Quick Reply: new bosch plat 4 spark plugs