Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > V8 Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 12-06-2001, 01:44 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction

I finally bought a scanner to see why my Check Engine light kept coming on('97 4.6 31k miles). I got a code 141 which is an "O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)" Does anyone know what this is? My dad said that on his Blazer there is a heated O2 sensor and it is powered by 12v and if mine is the same way maybe I have a blown fuse...If that were the case wouldn't I get it more than once every couple hundred miles? I don't even know where to start, I guess I should probably buy a service manual so I can see where all the sensors and fuses are at....I accidentally found a little black box with small fuses in it on the drivers side fender near the firewall so I'm not even sure what fuses to check! Thanks for any help you can offer
Old 12-06-2001, 02:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor
2000 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F-150 4x4
Send a message via ICQ to JMC
Jeremy,

The problem could be:HO2S HEATER CIRCUIT IS OPEN, SHORTED TO GROUND, SHORTED TO VPWR OR EXCESSIVE CURRENT DRAW, LOW CURRENT DRAW. Visually inspect the HO2S circuit for exposed wiring, water contamination, corrosion and proper assembly. Odds are the sensor is kaput. If the connectors are Ok let me know I can give you the whole diagnostic procedure.

regards

Jean Marc Chartier
Old 12-06-2001, 04:03 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks....I just got this truck so I don't know much about it yet except what I have learned from the massive knowledge of posters here. Do you know which one it is or where it is located? There are several O2 sensors right?
Old 12-06-2001, 09:04 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150 4x4
That sensor is going to be the passenger side, after the catalitic converter (toward back of truck). I have had to replace that sensor twice. within 60000 miles. Like JMC said, check the wiring and if everything looks ok just replace the sensor. Cost was about $50 at AutoZone. Not sure why mine has gone bad twice but I replace it and after a couple trips around town the check engine light should go out. No big deal.
By the why, how much did you pay for that scanner?

Scott

97 F-150 Black, 4x4 XLT ext.cab,sb,w/Offroad Package,
6" Fabtech Suspension Lift,3" body lift,38x15.5x16 Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip tires,
16x12 Weld Sidewinder wheels
4.56 gears w/LS,
Powerdyne Supercharger,
Dual Electric Flex-a-Lite Fans,
Cervinis Ram Air hood,
Flowmaster 50 Series w/ duals out rear, Pre-Runner Bumper w/KC Daylighters & PIAA 520 Driving Lights,
Steel Horse Billet Upper Grille,
Retrax Bed Cover,
Kodiak Sidewinder Electric Steps,
Pro-Comp Front Skid Plate,
Summit Aluminum Diff cover,
Rancho 9000's w/in-cab remote,
Lift Lips,
Lighted FORD logo,
K&N Filter,
Superchip,
Bosch Platinum +4,
TransGo Shift kit,
APC Projector Diamond Headlights,APC Diamond corner lenses,
APC Altezza style Carbon Fiber Tailight covers,
Optima Yellow Battery,
Tinted windows

Alpine CDA-7998 head unit, Alpine XM Satellite Tuner w/ Terk Antenna, Alpine CHA-S634 Disc Changer, MTX Thunderform sub,Boston Acoustic Pro-Series up front, Polk in rear,PPI & MTX Amps,CrimeStopper SuperRage Alarm w/remote start

Check it out at: (older pics, need to update)

http://www.f150world.com/Squanto804

Last edited by Squanto804; 12-06-2001 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-07-2001, 07:54 AM
Garage is empty, add now

that is a nice looking truck Squanto! Thanks for the info. I cleared the code yesterday and the light came back on this morning...last time it took a couple days. Is the sensor hard to change? I bought the scanner at Advance Auto for $149. It is pretty nice compared to the old ones like my ranger had...where I had to plug it in under the hood and count beeps! Thanks again
Old 12-07-2001, 11:15 PM
Garage is empty, add now

jeremyb

Sounds like you must have got the Actron OBD II scanner if you bought it at Advance Auto. It's not a bad scanner, I have one myself and find it very easy to use. If you ever happen to need an update just call Actron and they can help you out. At least that is what a tech at Actron told me, when I called for a customer that wanted the latest possible update in their scanner.
265/75/16 BFG AT's on 16x8 AR Baja rims, Rancho RS5000 steering stabalizer, RS9000 shocks, Lebra tonneau cover, Accel wires and coils, Sylvania Silverstars, blackouts front and rear,ventvisors all around, K&N Filter, Eclipse CD5441 headunit, custom dual exhaust w/ SS tips, Steelhorse billit upper and lower grill and much more to come
Old 12-07-2001, 11:15 PM