1996 Ford F150 302/5.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 Ford F150 302/5.0

Hello Guys,

I am new to the forums but ran into a issue. It sat for a few months and upon driving it, I noticed it had a rough idle that get worse when you give it gas but seems to settle down some when your at a speed but still there. I did get a code that I was told the #2 cylinder so I replaced the plug ( wasnt real sure but thought I would try). Its still has the same issue but little less but haven't received another code or check engine light but still problem persist. I am at the point to where I am not sure if the stubble is same cylinder or maybe either the fuel injectors or the fuel filter its self at this point? I have gumout/ locus in the tank. It has all the EFI crap over the left side of the motor so its a pain to get to the injectors. The motor only has about 120,000 miles on it and 80% were highway. My father in law bought it new for his job that took him all over the country. Its mine now so I am blessed with it.

You can feel the roughness in the idle while sitting so I need to keep cost down but at the same time I need to fix the issue. Does this make any sense to anyone. I have ran the truck, I have also tried shooting cleaner into the throttle body with no change. Maybe some could give me some idea's of what next to cure this issue?

Thanks for your time. I will check back later today and see.

Old 03-04-2017, 01:17 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Swap fuel injectors with another cylinder.

Check the fuel pressure. I would think your year truck would have the shrader valve for easy pressure testing.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:46 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I would replace all the spark plugs, plug wires, rotor, and distributor cap.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
Swap fuel injectors with another cylinder.

Check the fuel pressure. I would think your year truck would have the shrader valve for easy pressure testing.
I have what looks like a valve stem on fuel rail. what do you need to test presser? could a simplr tire checker do this? I am new to efi when it comes to working on them. Thats one of my issues, the #2 is located under that darn efi intake. I dont see anyway to get under it to do a swap test.

Last edited by snookhooked; 03-04-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by glc
I would replace all the spark plugs, plug wires, rotor, and distributor cap.
I did a tune up maybe two years ago. shouldn't be due already?

Old 03-04-2017, 05:35 PM
glc
could a simplr tire checker do this?
NO! Auto parts stores usually have a fuel pressure gauge in their loaner tool kits.

I did a tune up maybe two years ago. shouldn't be due already?
How many MILES ago - and what brand parts did you use? Exactly what did you replace?

Fuel filters are good for about 30k max. If you pull the plugs, wouldn't hurt to do a compression test. What did the plug look like that you removed?

Old 03-04-2017, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by glc
NO! Auto parts stores usually have a fuel pressure gauge in their loaner tool kits.

How many MILES ago - and what brand parts did you use? Exactly what did you replace?

Fuel filters are good for about 30k max. If you pull the plugs, wouldn't hurt to do a compression test. What did the plug look like that you removed?

I will check with my auto parts store here.

The truck sat for about four months so I put maybe 10,000 a year max and I used champion I believe. it was what ford used. I replaced everything from cap, wires and plugs. I just replaced cap and button. it had some black carbon on all tips and bottom. Plug really didn't look bad at all. I just replaced it since I had a new one handy in the number 2. I may just replace the fuel filter and go from there. I dont know when it was changed and even though he took good car of it, I really dont think he coud recall the last time the fuel filter was changed.

Thanks for you time and advice guys. I will keep you all informed.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:42 PM
glc
Champions don't work well in Fords - use Motorcraft or Autolite. 302's prefer standard plugs, not platinums, and should be changed at least every 25k.

What brand wires, rotor, and cap did you use?

Old 03-05-2017, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Champions don't work well in Fords - use Motorcraft or Autolite. 302's prefer standard plugs, not platinums, and should be changed at least every 25k.

I was wrong on the plugs, they are autolite. I have taken pictures of the plug removed and will try my first attempt to display them here. I have a compression test kit so I will see what it has or try an auto part store to test fuel pressure. Now keep in mine, this plug has sat out fora couple of days and the weather been really damp.

As to tune ups. to be honest we may put at best maybe 10K a year on our vehicles. Its one of those at 20, you couldn't get me out of one and now in my 40s you can hardly get me in one.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:02 AM
glc
Plug looks okay.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Plug looks okay.

What was recommended for Ford. I don't get a check engine light after I replaced the plug so its its time to see what isn't working correctly. I did the dark check for any cracks or sparks/ arcing and see nothing even after moving wires around. Its just seems to be a fuel issue but who is acting up. so much to run through.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:20 PM
glc
"What was recommended for Ford" is Motorcraft, is that what you used? Probably not if you simply went into a parts store and asked for the parts, you probably got their house brand which may or may not be any good.

If it's running rough with a new plug, cap, and rotor, it's a bad wire, bad injector, or low compression.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by glc
"What was recommended for Ford" is Motorcraft, is that what you used? Probably not if you simply went into a parts store and asked for the parts, you probably got their house brand which may or may not be any good.

If it's running rough with a new plug, cap, and rotor, it's a bad wire, bad injector, or low compression.
I think I am going to replace the fuel filter in the morning and go from there since I dont know when it was changed last and they say every 25 or 35K miles. Its a cheap change anyway. wouldn't hurt to do so. lol