Ticking/grinding 2008 f150 lariat

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticking/grinding 2008 f150 lariat

Hello all

I'm hoping to get some help here. I've read about 100 threads on the site about ticking noises from the 5.4 engines in f150s, and have seen a bunch of diagnoses.

Here's my story....

I bought a 2008 f150 lariat supercrew back in June. Truck had roughly 140k on it. I noticed about 3 months after I bought it that it was making a ticking/grinding noise when running between 800-1000 rpm. You cannot hear it unless you are parked next to a building or have the hood lifted. I called the dealership I bought it from and they were nice enough to take a look at it. The mechanic said it was the cam phazers. The phazers, vct solenoids, and all that has to do with that was replaced. The repair was over 3k. Again, I was fortunate the dealership flipped the bill.

I got my truck back and after about 3 weeks of driving it, the ticking/grinding was back. I called the mechanic and brought it back in. They spent 12 hours trying to diagnose it with no luck. They tried charging me $250 and said they lost their a** on the job. With nothing fixed, they said run 10w30 synthetic oil and basically deal with the noise until the engine dies. Let me say I wasn't happy....

After running the recommended oil, the noise/grind seemed to fade. I get oil changes every 4k.

Recently I noticed the sound is as loud as it was the first timed I noticed it. I spoke with a mechanic and he said the try changing the vct solenoids again to make sure they put the new style ones in it. Did that over the weekend with no change. When I unplug the solenoids the check engine light comes on but the noise seems to go away.

One of my good friends told me that the noise could be due to bad plugs /coil packs for the plugs.

Could this be? Is it worth spending the time and money to try it? I'm stumped, love my truck, and want it fixed. I don't know what else to do or try! Please help!!

Old 02-28-2017, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone?? Please help

Old 03-01-2017, 08:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Schmitz46
Hello all

I'm hoping to get some help here. I've read about 100 threads on the site about ticking noises from the 5.4 engines in f150s, and have seen a bunch of diagnoses.

Here's my story....

I bought a 2008 f150 lariat supercrew back in June. Truck had roughly 140k on it. I noticed about 3 months after I bought it that it was making a ticking/grinding noise when running between 800-1000 rpm. You cannot hear it unless you are parked next to a building or have the hood lifted. I called the dealership I bought it from and they were nice enough to take a look at it. The mechanic said it was the cam phazers. The phazers, vct solenoids, and all that has to do with that was replaced. The repair was over 3k. Again, I was fortunate the dealership flipped the bill.

I got my truck back and after about 3 weeks of driving it, the ticking/grinding was back. I called the mechanic and brought it back in. They spent 12 hours trying to diagnose it with no luck. They tried charging me $250 and said they lost their a** on the job. With nothing fixed, they said run 10w30 synthetic oil and basically deal with the noise until the engine dies. Let me say I wasn't happy....

After running the recommended oil, the noise/grind seemed to fade. I get oil changes every 4k.

Recently I noticed the sound is as loud as it was the first timed I noticed it. I spoke with a mechanic and he said the try changing the vct solenoids again to make sure they put the new style ones in it. Did that over the weekend with no change. When I unplug the solenoids the check engine light comes on but the noise seems to go away.

One of my good friends told me that the noise could be due to bad plugs /coil packs for the plugs.

Could this be? Is it worth spending the time and money to try it? I'm stumped, love my truck, and want it fixed. I don't know what else to do or try! Please help!!
Stick to your guns and demand that this gets fixed. I appreciate that the dealership has done a bunch of work here and their efforts. BUT if it still is coming back then it is not fixed.

I wonder if someone tried to change the sparkplugs and one or 2 broke, which is common on these. (Terrible original spark plug design) They failed to get all the pieces out and started it...well you get the idea. which led to trading it off.

Ask that they run a bore scope down each cylinder....this is pretty labor intensive, so get an agreement with the dealership prior to getting it done. Considering that they and you already invested heavily in this engine , the other option is a new engine.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If they didn't use Ford parts for the timing set, I think that could be the problem. Did they say the guides or tesioners were bad or broken? If it's because of cops or plugs I think you'd have a check engine light by now for a misfire. If they replaced the timing set with fomoco I would guess, and I am guessing, that the oil pump may be going? Also check and see what oil filter was put on. I once had an oil change at the Ford dealer and he only put 5 quarts instead of the 7qts. Good luck.