2002 Ford F250 Possible Engine Rebuild 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Ford F250 Possible Engine Rebuild 5.4

I am new to this site so i apologize if there's already one of these up. My F 250 blew out a spark plug, and took the threads with it so i took the cylinder heads off. I took them to the machine shop got all 8 spark plugs inserts done so that i would never have that problem again. It took a couple of weeks, and we had a bad rain storm i tried covering the engine up as best I could but alas water got into the cylinder bores. So my question is should i tear the engine apart? If so what are the common problems? I know the oil pump is a problem that I've heard. Are there any upgrades i should do to this engine since I've already had the cylinder heads done? Thank you and I apologize again if this has already been done.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:12 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
What condition was the engine? Was it burning oil? How many miles?

I would think that if you made sure any water that got into the oil pan is removed and you lube the cylinders and turn the engine by hand to get the cyl walls lubed it should be okay. But, I'm not an engine expert. I have rebuilt some engines in the old days.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The engine wasn't burning any oil that I know of i had just bought the truck a few months before. The truck has 136,000 miles on it. i opened the hood yesterday since i had gotten my cylinder heads back from the machine shop to clean the blocks head to put the head gasket on. That's when I noticed water had gotten into the cylinders, and it was just sitting in there. I cleaned out the water. But my paranoia has gotten to me so i'm in a dead stop now. I wouldn't want to put these heads on and see a catastrophe if I could have avoided it in advance.

Last edited by Spencer Roberts; 02-02-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:24 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
You should be okay if you dry it out the best you can and drain the oil. Before putting the heads back on, spray some oil into each cylinder and turn the engine over by hand.

Too late now, but you could have fixed that blown out plug with a Timesert without pulling the head. Blowout is easily prevented by not using antiseize and torquing the plugs to 28 ft/lb.