06 F150 5.4 133k w/problems, is swap best choice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 F150 5.4 133k w/problems, is swap best choice?

started hearing a rattle and slight rough running. Was told probably bad plug. To ease idle cleaned sensors and intake. No dice. Was told rattle and rough running could be a plug broken in the hole not getting enough spark. If not that, then sounding like can phaser. Start the plug removal. Left side goes fine, right side no luck. 2nd plug won't grab with Lisle tool. Call Lisle they say drill it. Try, no luck. Friend comes over and essentially pushed strap down towards head. Now it's going to shop. They'll have to pull the strap from hole, check for damage to head, and rethread the hole that was destroyed during the "help" I received.
Depending on cost of just strap removal and rethreading is bad enough, but if head is damaged then I'm in bad shape. Shop already warming me that once can phaser goes bad, trucks always seem to have oil pressure issues even after fix. With all that in mind, would I be better off paying to get the process started and going from there or looking at swap straight away. Hate thought of throwing $1k at something and finding out head trashed or cam phaser bad and then end up swapping after all. Idk what costs would be to do initial fixes, and cam phaser, timing chain while there to get back going again. Have a line on 2 used motors, both $2900. 1 is 06 with 73k other is 10 with 55k. Both have 3yr/36k mile warranty. Heard the newer motors don't have the typical triton issues, but Idk if they bolt up the same.
It's a used truck I carry a loan on and not looking to drop new motor money into. Would like to get up and running to give my kid a car to use.
Need advice. Is swap worth it, is fix best option on cost? Hate throwing good money after bad . Thanks