Coolant leak from where

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 01:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant leak from where

Whats going on, after a hefty amount of money spent on getting my HD up and running, from changing the engine coils and sparkplugs. I had to get new rotors all around and brakes so yeah that sucked. So now after all that work my truck randomly over heated! but no steam coming from under the hood, two containers of coolant later and it calmed down. The two coolant reservoir didn't have much in there so I put some in there. Ran it for about 20 min and then turned the truck off and then coolant started to leak from the passenger side of the engine toward the rear of the engine. I thought it could be a faulty thermostat.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:42 AM
Sounds like either the heater core has gone bad, or possibly one of the lines that run to it.

Old 12-21-2016, 05:16 AM
Any recent work that disturbed the cooling system is always a good place to start looking for leaks.

A faulty thermostat is very unlikely to cause a leak. First, keep checking that reservoir! Keep it full, or you might overheat again. You can ruin an engine that way.

The heater core is a possibility, but you can usually tell when that's the problem as you will smell the hot coolant inside the vehicle, and it fogs your windshield on the inside when you use the defroster. You might even find the carpet damp with coolant on the passenger side. Check the hoses, tubes, and clamps that feeds it (firewall side). Ruled out the heater core?

Coolant leaks, like oil leaks, can be difficult to find. A clean engine always makes any leak much easier to find, and it might be necessary to trace the source from underneath the vehicle. Look for leaking hoses or gaskets, including heater and bypass hoses. Thermostat housing gaskets are notorious for leaks. Loose or broken hose clamps will allow hoses to leak at connections. Do the radiator hoses look swollen, or are soft and spongy? Old hoses can develop pinhole leaks that only leak under pressure (when hot). Freeze plugs used to rust out and water pumps start leaking at the weep hole, but that's become rare on newer vehicles. Be diligent and keep looking, you'll find it!

Last edited by area904; 12-21-2016 at 05:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-21-2016, 10:24 AM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
It could also be a external head gasket leak.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:46 PM
heater core!! DANG IT. I sure as heck hope not. but im going to keep checking. I went under today and saw that the droplets were on the frame of left side. I hope to hell its not a complete heater core i hope its a hose. Question the heat, i turn the heat on and the air didnt get hot at all, is that a heater core sign? Also its leaking coolant inside on the driver side!? ugh if it isn't one thing its another.

Last edited by Hendr1x; 12-21-2016 at 04:37 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 12-21-2016, 06:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey living in Hawaii you don't need heat anyway.... Just loop the heater hose and enjoy your truck....lol

Old 12-22-2016, 03:37 AM
I took it to a shop to have it checked out, i just don't have the space and time at this point, seeing as we just moved to Hawaii and don't even have a house yet. Hell i changed the Coils and plugs in the hotel parking lot man. So its leaking coolant inside the driver side of the truck. So i threw my hands up and I am going to let a professional tackle this time. Hopefully this is the last major fix for a long while.