2 quick questions about 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 quick questions about 4wd

I have a 97 f150 extended cab lariat with the 4.6 and it's electronic 4wd. My 4wd isn't engaging so I did Some checking. I looked under the truck and the actuator didn't move when switched from 2wd to 4wd. I can hear the click from the dash and hear the shift motor from under the truck also. I checked the vacuum lines going to the actuator and I get decent vacuum on the peach colored line but the blue is very faint. So I checked the solenoids. I am getting full voltage (13.8v) on both solenoids regardless if it's in 2wd or 4wd. From what I have read only one is supposed to have power then when you switch to 4wd the other solenoid is suppose to have power.doesn't the gem runs these? If so I must have a bad gem, does this sound right?
My second question is when is the front engaged, is it when the actuator is pushed out or sucked in? Thanks

Old 11-13-2016, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have your vacuum actuators been replaced? (they're on the firewall). You live in IL. I bet they got moisture in them, it froze and wrecked them. I had the same thing happen to my truck, the fix is a replacement mount (that comes with one of the actuators) they're under $40 for both from rock auto.
You'll notice the one that looks like it's in a box, the pic is upside down, that's the fix a little hat over the top of them.

$

Last edited by 1972-2003f150; 11-13-2016 at 09:34 PM.