Ford 5.4l Cam phasers

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford 5.4l Cam phasers

I have a 2005 Expedition with a very rough idle. It will often stall at stop signs. It had multiple error codes when I bought it. Did an engine flush and oil change. Changed all the plugs and coils . Now I am down to just one error code..the dreaded Code P0012 "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 1).

I have swapped the VCT solenoids and the problem stays with bank one. Everything is pointing to the cam phaser on bank one. I suppose if I am going to change it then i will also change everything. Phaser, guides, tensioners and chains.
Here is my question.
what brand to buy?
I have done some research and find that..
dorman phasers by all reports are junk and will fail soon after install.
Ford Phasers are damned expensive.
Are there any other aftermarket phasers worth a damn?

Has anyone had any experience with BETOOLL HW8021?
It is reasonably priced but I cant find any reviews on it on Amazon or anywhere else that claims they are either good or bad. I am paying a mechanic a lot of money to change these and i don't want to pay him twice.

Gerry

Old 11-03-2016, 02:37 PM
I believe that most on this site would agree that price may be way too cheap. When I had my phasers done each one was $ 232.97. I wouldn't do it with aftermarket phasers...the Dormans are not getting too good of a review for longevity around here. And I can't imagine that the other parts are too good as far as quality.

I would also consider changing the oil pump if you are having someone dig that far into it... and the VCT Solenoids too...

FWIW!

I hope you get your ride fixed!

Regards!

Old 11-07-2016, 03:25 PM
With that code I would definitely have it gone through totally. It could be that the chain skipped a link (mine had that same code when I assembled my newly rebuilt 5.4 with the chain off 1 link and had the same symptoms you are describing... ouch). If it did get bad enough to skip a link on the chain, chances are like mine, yours has pretty close to no tensioners/guides left, which means that you have a bunch of plastic in your oil pan. Probably want to have it removed and cleaned out along with a new oil pickup tube put in. just my $.02.