Changed plugs and now it barely runs nightmare fixed

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed plugs and now it barely runs nightmare fixed

Hi guys I am posting a horrible experience I have had after I changed plugs and ignition coils. I decided to change the plugs and coils on my wife's 05 Expedition since it has 180,000 miles on it and we are the second owners and have no maintenance record of what was done. I stopped at Autozone and picked up 8 MotorCraft plugs and 8 Duralast ignition coils. This was a nightmare from the start I snapped 6 of the 7 plugs I was able to get out I borrowed my neighbors spark plug remover tool to get those plugs out that did snap I decided to leave the eighth plug in (because someone apparently had tried it before me and rounded the spark plug) after putting everything back together I discovered it barely ran it did not idle smooth at all I went over everything again and again and again I went thru these threads and on different web sites and discovered all the wonderful problems with these engines I was unaware of but could not find a answer and quickly realized I was WAYYY over my head. If I had enough power to drive this thing into a tree and call it a deer strike I would have I could barely get this thing to go over a speed bump at a stop if it was not for the fact that my mechanic is 2 blocks away it would have had to have been towed it was that bad!!! So I dropped it off at a local mechanic and he figured out it was the eighth plug and 2 bad brand new ignition coils he tried the last plug for 3 days before giving up and pulling the head and having to drill the damn thing out. After it was all together with 8 new plugs it still would not idle smooth the only thing he could figure out was it had to be the ignition packs I put on so I called around and looking for something better then the Duralast ignition coils I got and found Denso for $400 I bought them dropped them off at my mechanic and that solved my problem my mechanic was decent with the price with me he only charged me $1600 I hope this post helps someone I read enough posts about the same problem but I could not find any about what was wrong and what fixed it.

Old 10-30-2016, 02:12 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Man, that's some tough luck! Sorry to hear that. And it proves again that you can't trust cops from most vendors.

Old 01-06-2022, 02:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Sync the coils

The coil packs have to be synced I use a launch 431x to do mine.

Old 01-06-2022, 06:33 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh3006
This post brought to you by the letters "W", "T", and "F" plus a triple "???".

There is no such thing as coils having to be "synced".

The following 2 users liked this post by projectSHO89:
Old 01-06-2022, 03:54 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh3006
so you bumper a post from 2016

it’s currently 2022 and this “sync” you mention must keep you rather popular with the ricers…

Quick Reply: Changed plugs and now it barely runs nightmare fixed