FYI: Hope this helps others!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 10:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FYI: Hope this helps others!!!

I am hoping that this information I am about to put out here, will help others with the problem I had with my 2013 F-150 XLT, 5.0. This problem is not isolated to F150's, it has affected Ford vehilces. By all means, I am not a machanic, just a DIY type of guy.

Problem: Keep getting codes P2196/2198 and P172/175. Sometimes all, sometimes some. I knew what these codes were and how to fix them. Well, it was not what I thought it was.

Problem found: So I did more research on here and other web sites until I found exactly what was happening to my truck on a Ford Escape web site. Don't know how I got to that site, but it sure as heck solved the problem. As I stated above, I'm no mechanic, but this is what I found.

Problem solved: It was the Vapor Canister Purge Valve. Yes a simple $20.00 part.

Cause: Many reasons, according to what I have read. First, one Senior Mechanic stated that Ford should had never changed those from the old style as the old one hardly went bad. These new ones go bad all the time. Also found out that if you fill up your tank to the rim (as I do) it will cause the valve to go bad. I noticed that when I filled up and started my truck, it will not start right away and will run ruff sometimes.

Bottom Line: Don't fill up to the rim....LOL It has been 3 months since I replaced the Purge Valve and not a problem and no codes. There was more information that I read but way to much to put on here. I am hoping that just the basic info I put above will help others.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:50 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for posting. Not many people take the time to post the solution to their problem. Do you know when Ford switched from the old style canister to the new one? Also what seems to be happening with them?

Old 10-18-2016, 11:07 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Thanks for the information!

When the gas pump turns off, you aren't supposed to top it off. That warning has been around a very long time. Gasoline stored in an under ground tank is usually cooler than outside, in the summer anyway, and gasoline expands when warmed and could flood the canister. My ex-wife had a problem with the canister flooding because she parked on a steep driveway with the nose of the car down. This was a while back on a carbed vehicle. When the engine was turned off, gas coming from the canister would flood the carb.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:50 AM
Joe51.....I really don't know when Ford changed to the new type of Purge Valve. All I can remember when I found the other post that it was very recent, I think early 2000. Also I think it affected Ford vehicles 2010 and above. What happens to the Purge Valve it get stuck open and sometimes it might correct itself. When I did a test on mine, I removed the Purge Valve and blew into it and it was stuck open. (Could not blow air into it) Roadie's comment above was one comment that was mentioned by the Senior Mechanic on that Ford Escape web site that I found. Hope that helped.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:31 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Baldeagle,

Yeah, I've read a lot of complaints about people having problems with the purge valves but I didn't know that the problem was related to over filling. But considering the S**T that they put in gasoline today, including water, it could very well be what is destroying or damaging the purge valves when it gets into them as a liquid and not just vapor.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:20 PM
I agree with you Joe51. When I replaced mine I banged the daylights outta it and the valve didn't even rattle. It was really stuck bad. glad it was a real easy fix and only a $20 fix. At least I have learned not to fill to the rim any more LOL!!!