2004 FX4 camshaft question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 01:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 FX4 camshaft question

I have an 04 new style f-150 fx4. About a year ago i was WOT passing a semi and when i let off, i felt the motor buck and die. I had it towed to a garage where it sat while the owner dealt with some health issues. after 3 or 4 months there without being looked at, i had it towed to another garage. They claimed the motor was out of oil and locked up. I knew that wasn't the case when it quit running, but i had already purchased a replacement vehicle and it sat. I had considered parting it out, as it has nearly new terra grapplers on aftermarket wheels, performance computer, new aftermarket exhaust.. but i have an irrational attachment to this truck and wanted to be sure the motor was toast before i scrapped it. long story short, the motor is in no way frozen. i'm not sure exactly what happened, but both cam phasers are destroyed, as well as the ends of the cams themselves. I have pulled the heads to make sure the valves hadn't interfered, and see no signs of any valve/piston interference. So i replace the cams, new timing kit, and it should be good to go. and here's where the options and questions come in.

I already have the heads off, so i'm going to use this as an excuse to do long tube headers. pacesetters makes a set for $300, too easy. Looking at upgrade options, i have settled on the ford hot rod cams. the headers are already taken care of, but i see it also recommends a 3000rpm stall converter, ouch. between the efan conversation, underdrive pulleys, headers, head swap kit, timing kit, camshafts... this is starting to get pricey. I figure i can go with oem cams for now, limp the trans along until i can scratch up the 3500 for a built up monster transmission and 3k stall converter... and here's where i start to become unsure of my options.

from what i can gather, the OEM part number for the cams is 3L3Z-6250-HA (right) and whatever the matching left is, i must have closed that browser window. together, the cams are around $500.. close enough to justify the jump up to the hot rod cam if my stock TC wouldn't neuter it.

now, this part number is specific to the 2004 model year. there is a different, less expensive part number 5L1Z-6250-BB that is listed for 2005-2008. can i go with the camshaft for the newer model years?

Old 04-24-2017, 05:56 PM
2004 F150 New Body Style Camshafts

I know your question is about 6 months old but I was (am) in the same boat. The story is there were 2 design changes between 2004 and 2005; the camshafts and the lash adjusters. There is a service bulletin out telling service techs to not interchange these 2 parts between 2004 and 2005+ as "the engine may exhibit noises on affected cylinders and engine damage may result."

Without physically holding each in my hand, the only difference I know of where the phaser pin notch is located on the camshaft in reference to the machining lugs (looks like a tang/finger about 2" in on the shaft).

2004 Left the notch is 30 deg to the left of the tang, and right the notch is 60 deg left of the tang.

2005+ Left the notch is 90 deg to the left of the tang, and right the notch is 120 deg left of the tang.

From photo's it seems the phaser pin notch in reference to the lobes seems to be the same between the years and also note that the phaser part number is identical.

Aside from these 'tangs' which are just machining lugs whick aren't used by the cam position sensor (the phaser tangs are used for this) I have no idea what, if any other changes there could be.

It's possible one or more lobes have a different valve lift/duration values, or the centerlines are tweaked a bit or the lobe separation is different. Perhaps the location of the machining lugs alter the rotating balance? Not sure.

That said, if your doing performance mods to the extent you mentioned, you'll want a custom tune anyways, in which a custom tune would make the difference a moot point. It would be interesting to pull the stock 2004 tune from the ECU and compare the tables with a stock 2005 tune.

Anyways, I myself have a 2004 FX4 and have the engine pulled out and down to the bare block and am rebuilding it from the ground up with new rods, pistons, camshafts, whipple supercharger, ring and pinion gears, custom tune, etc. which is why I found this stuff buried on the internet.

Send me a message if you have any questions or let me know if you've made it any further on your build. Would be nice to see the same year and model build to compare notes.

Thanks!

Old 07-16-2017, 07:11 PM
actually i'm just now getting into it. i ended up going with the cheaper 5L1Z-6250 cams and after reading your replay i'm hoping that wasn't a mistake. i have the timing together and it turns over freely.

i'm still not sure why the site isn't e-mailing me alerts when someone replies to my thread.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:45 PM
any luck on the change out? I'm starting mine tomorrow on an 04. Cam, lash adjusters, followers, phasers, oil pump, timing set, water pump...

Old 08-18-2017, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by harveje
any luck on the change out? I'm starting mine tomorrow on an 04. Cam, lash adjusters, followers, phasers, oil pump, timing set, water pump...
Honestly, I haven't progressed that far. I have the motor rebuilt and on the engine stand, but I want to pull the cab to put the motor back in. Problem is, I don't have a lift so I'm working on a gantry system to lift the cab

Old 08-18-2017, 09:46 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by harveje

Hey @harveje , did you get a chance to visually compare your cams to the attached picture at the end of the article you found? http://www.enginebuildermag.com/wp-c...0000001381.pdf It sounds exactly like what @IanInCo was saying here:

Originally Posted by IanInCo
... , the only difference I know of where the phaser pin notch is located on the camshaft in reference to the machining lugs (looks like a tang/finger about 2" in on the shaft).
2004 Left the notch is 30 deg to the left of the tang, and right the notch is 60 deg left of the tang.
2005+ Left the notch is 90 deg to the left of the tang, and right the notch is 120 deg left of the tang.
From photo's it seems the phaser pin notch in reference to the lobes seems to be the same between the years and also note that the phaser part number is identical.

I _wonder_ if this information is so obscure because it only effects the "old body style"? The OP did mention "new body style", but IDK.

GOOD LUCK on fireing yours up.

Quick Reply: 2004 FX4 camshaft question