Motorcraft vs Aftermarket Coils for 5.4l?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motorcraft vs Aftermarket Coils for 5.4l?

Hello
I am thinking of changing all 8 COP on the 06 Navigator with the 5.4l 3v and wondered are there good quality aftermarket coils like Accel/MSD or Denso or Delphi instead of Motorcrafts much high priced ones or should I stick with Motorcraft brand?

Thanks

Old 08-13-2016, 10:12 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Do a search and you will find lots of discussions.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:30 PM
I have accel supercoils on my 03 5.4L 2v. I bought them on Amazon and all 8 cost less than 2 new motorcraft coils.

BE AWARE, there are plenty of haters ready to tell you Accel are junk. I have had mine in my truck for a year and a half now without a single hiccup, so in my personal experience they're worth the money I've saved.

The other thing to be aware of is the coils on my engine are different than those on a 3v or 4v engine. I had to cross check against a parts store website to be certain I was ordering the correct part on Amazon. (their filter is notoriously terrible for including things that DO NOT fit your vehicle)

I did alot of reading of reviews, I like to start with the lowest ratings because these are usually slack-jawed yokels who shouldn't be fixing toast. Over half of them were from people who ordered the wrong coil and "made it work" on their engine.

The main differences between the coils on your engine and mine are where the power lead connects and the angle of the boot.
All that said, sure motorcraft coils are the best choice, if your budget allows for it, they're OEM and should be just as durable as the originals.

While you're at it new plugs are a good idea too I went with the OEM Motorcraft plugs.

I'd google some how-to videos on your 3v engine. It has goofy plugs with a tapered shaft on the end that can get stuck and break off in the head. Perhaps some other members have hands on removing them to offer advice?
Anyway that's my two cents,
Gene

Last edited by 1972-2003f150; 08-13-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:43 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Denso and Delphi are good replacements but you won't be saving much.

Why do you want to change them? If you are changing the plugs, you should replace just the boots and springs, those are pretty cheap and not really brand-sensitive.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....432569&jsn=378

Old 08-18-2016, 07:53 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
accel and MSD are proven junk, time and time again

they are designed on the LS ECM, and the dwell time prior to firing differs from the Ford ECM, and anyone who "likes" them, drinks snake oil and is interested in Atlantic ocean property for gardening

Old 08-19-2016, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
accel and MSD are proven junk, time and time again

they are designed on the LS ECM, and the dwell time prior to firing differs from the Ford ECM, and anyone who "likes" them, drinks snake oil and is interested in Atlantic ocean property for gardening
It took a while, but a hater showed up.
I won't argue the fact that OEM parts are designed to work perfectly with your truck and may even outlast an aftermarket part, because that's what should happen.
That said I've had OEM parts that failed out of the box, so they aren't infallible either.

I'd be interested in seeing these "facts" about the Accel coils (I have no experience with MSD parts currently). By facts I mean real documentation from a credible source, not reviews on Amazon or some other place.

I find it very difficult to believe a company would just say "**** IT, Ford or GM they're all the same, we'll build these coils for a Ford to GM specs. Sure I believe people have had one or two go or be bad, that can happen with any manufacturer.

Bring on those "facts"

Old 08-19-2016, 09:13 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
The only facts you will find are several posts where people have had a problem after installing MSD, Accel, and you can throw Granatelli in there as well. You can find them if you use the search feature. You will also find that there were a couple of after markets that received positive reviews in addition to Mototcraft. For a while there was a cheap Chinese coil recommended as they were so cheap you could buy extra and come out ahead. As to the OEM, there have been very few instances of problems when they are used( except for cost). No haters, just everyone sharing their experience or collective opinions. After all, isn't that the purpose of the forum?

Old 08-19-2016, 07:54 PM
Bluejay,
You are right about us all having opinions and sharing them both good and bad. I try hard to limit my comments on questions like this one to something I have first hand knowledge of, I actually own a set of Accel COP's.
It's pretty obvious that tarajerame is "hating" on Accel and MSD as well as suggesting that I "drink snake oil and am interested in Atlantic ocean property for gardening" because I happen to be quite happy with my Accel investment.

I merely want him to show me the facts he claims, that and I quote "they are designed on the LS ECM, and the dwell time prior to firing differs from the Ford ECM".
Because I don't think a reputable company would just "stick a ford sticker on a gm part" and call it a day.
The way I was taught the coil takes the 12v applied to it and outputs a stepped up voltage to the spark plug creating the spark. NO MOVING PARTS or electronics inside them, if the computer applies 12v for 10 milliseconds (as an example) you get spark for that long.
I read a lot of reviews on Amazon and other auto part websites on them before I pulled the trigger. Many of the negatives were someone who purchased 2v cop's for a 3v or 4v engine and vice versa. As you may be aware, they are not the same so there were problems. Other folks had one or two go bad.
I don't know if you've ever heard the adage about how much more likely someone who has a bad experience is to write a review compared to a person, such as myself, who had a good experience writing one.
Based on my own personal experience They were a good investment, and I don't drink snake oil or care for gardening ANYWHERE.
I was prepared to deal with one being bad out of the box, but that just hasn't been the case. Based on this I don't buy all of the poo pooing on the Accel COP's, have you used them? Did tarajerame use them? I mean I can't speak about MSD or the Granatelli COP's you mentioned because I haven't used either of them. Maybe I'd be replacing them or maybe they'd function perfectly I can't say.

glc brought up a good point too, that we've ignored, why does the OP want to change them in the first place? If the ones installed are functioning normally, new boots and plugs would be the least expensive investment.
Guess I let myself get offended by an opinion, sorry about that.
Gene

Old 08-19-2016, 11:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Denso is an OEM supplier. Rock auto carry's them and they are about 25 percent less then the Motorcraft. When I bought them I compared them to the OEM Motorcraft and they are identical right down to the "Made in USA" stamp. You get what you pay for. I've bought Chinese coils and they work. For awhile. I've also bought Granitalli. Had failures in a year had 2 failures total before I replaced them all.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:46 PM
I replaced mine and read all the neg reviews and all the stick with OEM opinions and still decided to try a set of Accel COP's. I have had them almost 3 years now and they are running fine. Picked them up from Summit.

Old 10-02-2019, 12:42 AM
I recently bought a 4 pack set of Accel coils off Amazon from a company called Hinson Motorsports. I was only replacing the coils because I wanted a little more pep and I had a valve cover gasket blow so my boots were pretty ruined. With 106k on the car, I figured it was time. I also installed a set of MSD spark plugs for ****z and giggles because, until recently, I thought they were somewhat reputable. I'm reading that's not so much the case. Anyway, first night after install, car has more power (yea), but noticed a slight hiccup/misfire/hesitation that was very inconsistent. I thought at first it was a phantom and ignored. Decided to replaced plugs first, went with motorcraft. Still had the misfire/hiccup. Decided to throw the old coils on, and walla!! Car's running fine, no misfire, no hesitation. If Accel is a good brand, well they left a very sour taste in my mouth, and I highly doubt I will purchase anything from them again!! Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps anyone that can't decide. Stick to OEM or a very reputable aftermarket, like Denso, or Delphi. I've heard good things from both of them.

Quick Reply: Motorcraft vs Aftermarket Coils for 5.4l?