4.6 SOHC timing

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6 SOHC timing

I just replaced the left cylinder head after lapping the valves and replacing the stem seals. I reinstalled the head (new gasket) and installed a new timing chain kit (sprockets, chains, tensioners, and guides). Lined up all timing marks and released the tensioner holding pins. Before putting everything back together I decided to turn the crank to see if I was free of obstructions and I am not able to turn the crank more than 250 degrees either way. What have I hit??

Old 07-30-2016, 10:39 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Old 07-31-2016, 10:01 AM
I saw that post before. Good info. I feel like I have followed every step you outlined but I am still hitting something. Do you think it is possible something has fallen down into the air intake ports?

Old 08-02-2016, 06:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It is very possible that something such as a small bolt, nut, or other debris to drop into a intake port and hold a valve open.Do not force the engine to turn as it can easily bend a valve. Also since you removed one cyl head did you remove both chains and retime both timing chains from scratch? The process is pretty straight forward however both sides SHOULD be timed together. If you suspect that debris dropped into a intake port remove the intake manifold and visually inspect every port for a bolt, nut, etc, holding a valve open.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:34 PM
I suspect just that so I am trying to remove the right head with the exhaust manifold attached but I cannot reach one of the two nuts to the down-pipe. Any suggestions on how to access the outer nut? I've tried snaking a few universal joints up past the converter but can't get the proper angle. I'm stuck.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I use a series of extensions with an 18 mm swivel impact socket, lay back under the truck and with enough extensions (2-3 ft) just weave the socket up into position and run the bolt out. If you suspect something in the intake port it should be sitting where you can see it holding a valve open. If its a bolt like an intake manifold bolt, throttle body bolt, or fuel rail bolt you may be able to remove it without removing the cyl head. A loose cam follower would be an indication of a valve stuck open by debris as well on that particular cyl. Or the engine is timed wrong. But if a valve is not bent at this point then you may not need to remove the cyl head yet.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will give it a good inspection before removing the head.

Quick Reply: 4.6 SOHC timing