Low RPM Shudder 5.0L

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low RPM Shudder 5.0L

All,

I am sorry if that has already been answered but I have searched and can't find it.

My truck is a 2013 F-150 Ext Cab STX 4x4 with the 5.0L V8. It has 77k miles on the odometer and as far as I know only thing that has been done are oil changes, air filters and one set of tires. I am the second owner and there were no records, I am just going off what I can tell.

I have a low RPM shudder or hesitation, never over 1800rpm and usually when under light acceleration. It just started doing it over the past couple thousand miles. Truck still runs like new when you get into the gas, can't feel anything at idle, and it is not throwing any codes. I checked it with my OBD2 scanner. It is still getting 18/22 mpg and still has plenty of power when pulling my trailer around.

I've read multiple threads people say coil packs, but every thread that was mentioned it is was for a 5.4L, I have the 5.0L. (Not sure of that matters?)

I've also read multiple threads and the other popular fix was transmission service. I checked the manual and it says doesn't need it until 150k miles so I assume it is okay. I figured that was unlikely because before me, the truck never trailered anything from what I could tell. Powder coat was still on the inside wall of the receiver, the pig tail to install a trailer brake booster was still in the factory packaging in the glove box and it doesn't appear that the bumper cap was removed for a ball to pull a small trailer. I've only trailered around my small utility trailer on occasion, always less than 2000lbs on it and once my other truck which trailer/truck weight combined was around 6000lbs. (I know, I know, unsafe without electric trailer brakes. I used a uHaul car transport, never went over 50mph, kept my distance in traffic and was careful).

Long story short, should I just suck it up and try to flush the transmission? I read someone said do the tq converter too. How do I do this without pulling the transmission down? Do I drain the lines and radiator too? (I assume it has it since there is a transmission temp gauge on the dash)

Any help is very much appreciated.

TL/DR: Truck shutters, what do I do?

Thanks!

Old 05-31-2016, 10:17 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
The first thing I would do is change the plugs.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:19 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I would also change the tranny fluid. I change mine every 60k miles

Old 05-31-2016, 11:25 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
There is no conventional dipstick for servicing the transmission, it's designed for servicing with an exchange machine. If you want to change the fluid, I'd bite the bullet and take it in to a shop and have it done.

Agree - change the spark plugs and throw a bottle of Techron in the gas.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
There is no conventional dipstick for servicing the transmission, it's designed for servicing with an exchange machine. If you want to change the fluid, I'd bite the bullet and take it in to a shop and have it done.

Agree - change the spark plugs and throw a bottle of Techron in the gas.
Well that sucks, I hate paying someone to do work that I can do but if this is the case then it makes sense. Thank you.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:09 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Well, you can do it yourself but it's a pain. You can drop the pan, but there's no torque converter drain. There is a fill plug underneath screwed into the side of the transmission that has a short dipstick on it. The exchange machines tap into the cooler lines and do a complete exchange.

Note that the 6R80 takes Mercon LV, not regular Mercon V.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:07 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Have you ever had the drive shaft repaired? Slip yolk clunk for example?

Mine vibrates under heavy load pulling on an incline. I've heard the transmission mount can be the cause of this.

Straight line shudder? Or while cornering?
Certain gears? Or only in 1st while starting acceleration?

Last edited by Patman; 06-01-2016 at 01:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Low RPM Shudder 5.0L