2 valve aftermarket cams

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 valve aftermarket cams

Hi All,

I am wondering if aftermarket camshafts for the 2 valve mustangs would work in a 2 valve 4.6 f150?

I am looking at having some fun with my f150 now that it isn't a daily...

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2016, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by O/C9315
Hi All,

I am wondering if aftermarket camshafts for the 2 valve mustangs would work in a 2 valve 4.6 f150?

I am looking at having some fun with my f150 now that it isn't a daily...

Thanks!
Yes they will work, but be sure that you get cams based on your usage. It's easy to get mixed up with naturally aspirated cams, blower and turbo cams. What are you plans for the truck?

Old 04-09-2016, 08:10 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I recently checked with Summit and they have cams for our 4.6/5.4 engines. I was told by the guys on this forum that the Mustang heads and cams are the same as the ones on our trucks.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by Roadie
I recently checked with Summit and they have cams for our 4.6/5.4 engines. I was told by the guys on this forum that the Mustang heads and cams are the same as the ones on our trucks.
That is correct. There were only 2 different castings of 2v heads and cams that went into production. That is the NPI and PI heads and cams. The earlier model heads are the NPI (non-performance improved) and the later ones are the PI (performance improved). I'm not familiar with the cam profile differences but I do know that the combustion chamber on the pi heads were smaller and they flow better overall. But the aftermarket cams will work on either set of heads. The best way to pick a cam is to know what your end goal for the truck is. Usually the cams are decided on last to "top-off" a combo of mods. Stage one cams generally refer to lower rpm gains or broader torque curves and the higher the stage of cam generally requires more rpm to take better advantage of the power it is capable of making...some up into the 7000 rpm range. Which is usually no place for a daily driven truck that Occasionally sees work. The best cams for a truck usually stay around 1 or 2....if you're going to race it a lot or just want it to sound real good, get a stage 3 but don't forget that after a stage 1 cam, you should begin looking into ported heads, and upgrade valve train. It adds up pretty quickly.

Quick Reply: 2 valve aftermarket cams