Another 5.4 phaser/timing issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another 5.4 phaser/timing issue

Hey guys,

New to the forum but have been a lurker for years. I recently tackled my 2006 Lincoln Mark LT cam phaser, timing assembly and the dreaded passanger manifold. After removing the front cover and all accessories I then placed the Crankshaft keyway at the 6 oclock position. Broke the cam phasers loose and began removal of the assembly. When I began removal, the cam phasers were in a position I have not seem other people have them in. Now from what I have picked up at this point I am supposed to move the crankstaft keyway to the 11oclock position, but leave the phasers where they are....As I continue to look around the internet at setting the timing I am noticing that the phasers are all hitting the timing marks at the same position roughly the 11 on the left and 1 on the right. As my phasers are right now they will be hitting the timing marks at the 9 oclock on the left and 3 on the right. So how am I supposed to line up all the timing marks if my phasers timing marks are not where they are supposed to be. I hope this makes sense I can add some picture if that's needed. Thanks in advance guys, hoping I'm not too wrong here.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
5.4 Timing question

Oh NO !!!! Be careful. If chains are removed, be very careful in moving the crank 'keyway' to the 11:00 o'clock position where it should have been. The 5.4 is an interference engine. Also, in most any position the engine can be placed - there will be some valve springs compressed imposing forward or backward force on the cam. I do not think you would be able to align the chain's single timing link with the 'dot' on the crank sprocket with the 'key-way' at 6:00 o'clock. (at least it would be difficult to determine proper alignment)

If you have NOT removed the chains - or if you can put them back on - at or at least near to the correct position, I believe "I WOULD" (although they generally advise against it) rotate the engine backwards until the 'keyway' is at the 11:00 position. Even with the engine in that position, the passenger side cam will move (due to valve followers on the toe or heel of cam lobes & under valve spring tension) unless you have the cams locked down with vice grips. But if have to (and I DID), you can move the cams to get the chain marks straddling the phaser timing marks. You just have to have a helper to do both at the same time. I used a breaker bar / socket on the phaser bold and just moved the passenger cam forward far enough to align the phaser mark between the colored chain links, then my helper slapped the chain on and routed it under the tensioner and around the crankshaft pulley.

Couple of other things that also might help to remember. To check alignment (without respect to the colored chain links) is to COUNT - exactly 30 links from the crank sprocket mark (not counting the one straddling the crank sprocket mark) to the last link before the Phaser mark going BOTH directions. there are 61 total chain links. One straddles the crank mark, and there must be 30 links both directions "TO" the Phaser timing mark.

Perhaps the following drawing from the Factory Service Manual will help.

Last edited by F150Torqued; 04-02-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:48 PM
Yeah... well.... the drawing might help if I could either get a link to my server to work or if the edit feature would not cut the text off about halfway down. I can't even edit the IMG link. I'll go find where I have linked the drawing on another forum and return here and post you a link to a forum that works.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:51 PM
Old 04-02-2016, 05:15 PM
That worked... I am about to jump on it now. I am slowly going to rotate the crank.... any tension advance the cams..... Hopefully the rotation to set them doesn't bend a valve. That link was spot on tho for my timing that you for that!!!

Old 04-02-2016, 06:34 PM
WELL HELL, lets just START OVER FROM SCRATCH since I can't get the {IMG} tags, Or the edit screen to work where I can edit tags past about the 100th character and get a file from my server to display on a post. !! CRAP. !!

------- Here's post # 2: (after I tried a dozen times to edit it to get the PDF drawing to display correctly.) https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...ml#post5189000

Originally Posted by F150Torqued
Oh NO !!!! Be careful. If chains are removed, be very careful in moving the crank 'keyway' to the 11:00 o'clock position where it should have been. The 5.4 is an interference engine. Also, in most any position the engine can be placed - there will be some valve springs compressed imposing forward or backward force on the cam. I do not think you would be able to align the chain's single timing link with the 'dot' on the crank sprocket with the 'key-way' at 6:00 o'clock. (at least it would be difficult to determine proper alignment)

If you have NOT removed the chains - or if you can put them back on - at or at least near to the correct position, I believe "I WOULD" (although they generally advise against it) rotate the engine backwards until the 'keyway' is at the 11:00 position. Even with the engine in that position, the passenger side cam will move (due to valve followers on the toe or heel of cam lobes & under valve spring tension) unless you have the cams locked down with vice grips. But if have to (and I DID), you can move the cams to get the chain marks straddling the phaser timing marks. You just have to have a helper to do both at the same time. I used a breaker bar / socket on the phaser bold and just moved the passenger cam forward far enough to align the phaser mark between the colored chain links, then my helper slapped the chain on and routed it under the tensioner and around the crankshaft pulley.

Couple of other things that also might help to remember. To check alignment (without respect to the colored chain links) is to COUNT - exactly 30 links from the crank sprocket mark (not counting the one straddling the crank sprocket mark) to the last link before the Phaser mark going BOTH directions. there are 61 total chain links. One straddles the crank mark, and there must be 30 links both directions "TO" the Phaser timing mark.

Perhaps the following drawing from the Factory Service Manual will help.

------------- and THIS is the address of the image I would like to show RIGHT HERE VVVVVVVV !!

I'm not computer illiterate, I've done this before - as shown in this post: https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...ml#post5180039
But It is ridiculous to have this much damn trouble getting a helpful image to work!!! ---- Since you can't even attach a file on this lame forum.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:36 PM
See, the [IMG] TAG doesn't show up in the [QUOTE], So just go the other Forum where attachments work

Old 04-02-2016, 06:54 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
You can't post a PDF as an inline image. Either post a direct link to it on your server with NO tags, or convert it to a JPG which can be posted inline.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:18 PM
Haha I appreciate you struggling with me. I turned the crank with no resistance.... The cams are now set just locking things in..... Haha that is a thread I have been reading during this tons of good info. I'm was just more hesitant about when valve damage will occur by hand but it went smooth. Ill let u know.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:38 PM
Yeah..... well it happens to be a PDF file from my 'PDF' factory manual. Sure I can convert it to a JPG file (at the expense of greater size, if that's what the forum wants, as a link or otherwise. But I have never seen anything that states that anywhere other than your post). I'll be glad to convert it, but that's LAME. Both of the other Ford sites I frequent allow attachments thereof - THANKS.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:12 PM
Thank you for the acknowledgement @knucklebustin. Glad you were able to survive the glitch with no serious effect. If the chains / cams are aligned according to that "PDF FILE" representation - you will be fine on timing. I recommend you remove the VCT bodies and clean ALL the little passageways and replace the VCT solenoid valve body gaskets. Also, replace the VCT solenoids if they have lots of miles on them. Hope you used Factory Phasers and not aftermarket.

Quick Reply: Another 5.4 phaser/timing issue