Which computer? 07-08 4.6 owners help please?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 04:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which computer? 07-08 4.6 owners help please?

Bought a 08 crew cab missing engine and computer. Too good a deal on a truck with only 50k miles. I seen there is 2 different computers. I'm told it has to match the original. Dash and interior harness maybe?

I'd like to know which of the 2 everyone has and what options.

2008 crew cab 2wd
_____ ecm
Built in dearborn, MI 05/08 (date)
Heavy suspension
Tow package

There is a XUE1 and a AEM3.

I couldn't get any answers on what the difference is from dealers or searching.

I appreciate any help I get with this. There has to be a pattern.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If they are both for the 4.6 engine, maybe one is for 2wd and one for 4wd.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:10 AM
Could be. There is no notes or descriptions for either one. Just warnings saying numbers must match original and PATS reprogramming required.

Little insight. Truck was used as a demo vehicle for a company putting in hybrid electric motors. So they sold off the motor and computer to fit a big electric motor with a 2.0 duratec in front of it for a generator. The bed of the truck had 2 giant batteries in it. They claimed 80-100mpg. They wanted to upgrade their demo trucks to 2015 models.

I'm going to swap in a 5.4 2v crate motor I have with only 30k miles. The 4r70w that came with the truck has 20k miles. I'm doing a quick rebuild and upgrade to it along with a HD higher stall Hughes converter I already have. A mild port and polish to clean the heads and full length headers, if I can find some that fit. I should be within my budget easily and have this wrapped up for around $5k total.

Last edited by DGyde; 03-21-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:12 PM
Nevermind...

I cannot find a harness anywhere. Ford discontinued it, no one has one in stock. Any place I found that may, wants full Ford retail. No used ones in yards around me(or they want near new price for it as well). I didn't think about places not wanting to sell them separate. If the engine is complete, they will not sell the harness and computer. Have had no luck finding anything.

I could wait and wait. I could keep searching and making 100 phone calls. Or, I could just throw in an older small block and manual so I can drive this thing. I don't want a project that takes me months to collect everything for. I'm just throwing in a 302 or 351w and a 5-speed. I have them laying around. I have the stand alone harness and a doner truck for fuel lines.

Finding a clutch pedal assembly for this truck is stupid easy. A large number of the trucks I have seen in the yards are 4.2. I'm sure quite a few have a manual.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:11 AM
Found the engine and trans harness. Back to the search for which computer

Quick Reply: Which computer? 07-08 4.6 owners help please?