5.4 2v timing

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 2v timing

This is on my 99 5.4 2v.

Replaced the head gasket and followed the sticky to place the crank keyway at 12 oclock so all pistons are low. I then removed the timing components as well as the heads. I'm now to the point of installing the heads. The passenger side is in.

A few questions for you guys as there are several different directions I found online.

1) if keep it the crank keyway at 12oclock and using the marks on the cams and crank along with the links on the new chain will that put everything in time?

2) Is putting the #1 cylinder at TDC not as important as it is making sure the links/mark on the cam/crank are matched up? Only asking as I'm sure naturally when you turn the engine off it doesn't always end at TDC.

3) If I keep with the 12oclock method is there a certain time/degree for the cams or just move them based on where it needs to meet up with the link?

Thanks already!

Old 03-11-2016, 06:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I sent you a PM.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by DYNOTECH
I sent you a PM.
got it..Thanks!

Old 03-20-2016, 05:10 AM
Need the same info

I have the 02 5.4 and I'm having the same concerns because everyone I read a set of directions they are different. I don't want to screw my supercrew..

Old 03-21-2016, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by 02superFx4
I have the 02 5.4 and I'm having the same concerns because everyone I read a set of directions they are different. I don't want to screw my supercrew..
I'll post his response to me in the PM...

"yes leave the crankshaft @ 12:00. Then install the off color chain links of both chains over the crankshaft timing chain gear timing marks. Then holding he chains tight move up to the cyl head timing gear and rotate the cam using a socket or adjustable wrench on the cam gear bolt until you cam slide each chain over the timing gear and place the odd colored link so its over the timing gear timing dot or mark thats on that gear. Then move to the other cyl head and do the same thing with it. Now double check that all 4 timing marks are lined up with the chain off color links you don't want them to slip off location or the engine will be out of time. install the chain tensioners. And keep checking for any slippage of the chains off the timing marks until the chain tensioners are tight and extended slightly with a screwdriver. This will keep the chains tight and no worry about them coming off location at that point. Now you can rotate the engine using the crankshaft 18 mm bolt. Just remember that with this engine the off color chain links and timing gear marks will not all line completely back up again until the engine is rotated another 50+ rotations. So if you rotate the engine a few times then look to see if the links and marks are still lined up they won't be for over 50 rotations...lol so its the way the engine is designed don't worry. Just be sure all marks and links are lined upcorrectly the first time and stay that way all the way until after the chain tensioners are tight. then you will be good to go.
Don't follow the other directions you are reading this is the easiest and best way to time these engines. I have hand built and disassembled thousands of these engines at the Ford factory Romeo Mich. The other methods use cam clamps etc. This method requires nothing and is simple."

Old 03-21-2016, 09:13 AM
I'm getting close to starting her up...will post pics and results once done.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:50 AM
Thanks

Thanks for the info

Quick Reply: 5.4 2v timing